1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Producing current from sun magnetism?

1. Sep 10, 2010 #1
    Several years ago Tethered experiment demonstrated that current can be produced by a long wire moving in Earh orbit, due to Earth magnetism.
    Being Earth inside Sun magnetosphere, wouldn't it be possibile to accomplish same task in a long wire properly positioned on earth surface? Possibly at poles, where I as far as I understand solar magnetism is less shielded by earth's one.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2010 #2
    You sure it is current and not voltage?

If you have a conductor moving in an uniform magnetic field, there would be a potential across its ends, however no current can exist.
  4. Sep 11, 2010 #3
    as far as I unerstand, current flow was allowed by discharging the excess voltage in the space using some kind of an "electron gun" at an edge of the wire, thus "closing" the circuit.
  5. Sep 11, 2010 #4
  6. Sep 11, 2010 #5
    Found a shorter explanation:

http://www.highfrontier.org/Archive/Jt/Tethers%20Scient%20Amer%200804050.pdf [Broken]

But I think on Earth surface I'd miss electrons source...
    I have a moving magnetic field, a "gun" to eject electrons... but I have no ionosphere to get electrons from!
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Sep 11, 2010 #6
    You could get them from a salty solutions, or just closing the loop with more wire. Trying to answer OP's question, is the solar magnetism even strong enough at Earth? If you put a compass at a distance of 1 AU from the Sun, but somewhat far from Earth so it's magnetic field won't influence it, would the compass still align with the Sun's field?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook