Understanding Commutativity and Eigenvalues in the Product of Hermitian Matrices

In summary: The Operator 2 norm-- I said this in post #2. A very quick google search should tell you that the operator 2 norm is given by ##\big \Vert C \big\Vert_2##Sorry, but I am not sure what is Operator 2 norm.Sorry, but I am not sure what is Operator 2 norm.
LagrangeEuler
Homework Statement
For two Hermitian matrices ##A## and ##B## with eigenvalues larger then ##1##, show that
##AB## has eigenvalues ##|\lambda|>1##.
Relevant Equations
Any hermitian matrix ##A## could be written as
[tex]A=\sum_k \lambda_k|k \rangle \langle k|[/tex]
where ##|k\rangle \langle k|## is orthogonal projector ##P_k##.
Product of two Hermitian matrix ##A## and ##B## is Hermitian matrix only if matrices commute ##[A,B]=0##. If that is not a case matrix ##C=AB## could have complex eigenvalues. If
[tex]A=\sum_k \lambda_k|k \rangle \langle k|[/tex]
[tex]B=\sum_l \lambda_l|l \rangle \langle l|[/tex]
[tex]AB=\sum_{k,l}\lambda_k\lambda_l|k \rangle \langle k|l\rangle \langle l|[/tex]
Now I am confused what to do. Definitely, ##\langle k|l \rangle \leq 1 ##. Could you help me?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
hint: the Operator 2 Norm is submultiplicative -- find a way to use this.

Thanks. So
[tex]||AB||\leq ||A|| \cdot ||B||[/tex]
this is submultiplicativity? But which norm?

LagrangeEuler said:
Thanks. So
[tex]||AB||\leq ||A|| \cdot ||B||[/tex]
this is submultiplicativity? But which norm?
The Operator 2 norm-- I said this in post #2. A very quick google search should tell you that the operator 2 norm is given by ##\big \Vert C \big\Vert_2##

Sorry, but I am not sure what is Operator 2 norm.

Likes Delta2
Thanks, but I still do not understand. Let's take matrix from the example
[tex]
I_2=\begin{bmatrix}
1 \\[0.3em]
0 \\[0.3em]
0 \\[0.3em]
1 \\[0.3em]
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
Then ##||I_2||_F=\sqrt{Tr(I_2^TI_2)}=\sqrt{Tr(2)}=\sqrt{2}## and I am not sure how they find that ##||I_2||_2=1##
which vector ##v## are they using?
I looked this link
https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/2996827/frobenius-and-operator-2-norm

Using Frobenius norm I know that
[tex]||A||=\sqrt{(A,A)}=\sqrt{Tr(A^*A))}[/tex]
and
[tex]||AB||\leq ||A|| ||B|| [/tex]
[tex]|\lambda_A|\leq ||A||[/tex]
[tex]|\lambda_B|\leq ||B||[/tex]
[tex]|\lambda|\leq ||AB||[/tex]
but I am still not sure how to prove that ##|\lambda|>1##.

no. you need to use the operator 2 norm. The Frobenius norm isn't the right tool for this job. Do you know what a singular value is? If not, this problem may be out of reach.

I checked it on wikipedia
Something like
##AX_k=\sigma_kY_k##
##A^*Y_k=\sigma_kX_k##
but it is hard to me to understand how to find ##\sigma_k## on the concrete example.

1. What is a product of Hermitian matrices?

A product of Hermitian matrices is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying two Hermitian matrices together. A Hermitian matrix is a square matrix that is equal to its own conjugate transpose, meaning that the elements on the main diagonal are real numbers and the elements above and below the diagonal are complex conjugates of each other.

2. How is the product of Hermitian matrices calculated?

The product of two Hermitian matrices, A and B, is calculated by multiplying the matrices in the usual way, but with the additional rule that the complex conjugate of the second matrix, B*, is used instead of the original matrix B. This means that the elements of the resulting matrix will also be real numbers and the product will also be a Hermitian matrix.

3. What are the properties of the product of Hermitian matrices?

The product of Hermitian matrices has several important properties, including being Hermitian itself, being distributive, associative, and having a non-commutative property. Additionally, the product of two Hermitian matrices will always have a non-negative determinant.

4. What is the significance of the product of Hermitian matrices in physics?

In physics, the product of Hermitian matrices is often used to represent physical observables, such as energy, momentum, and angular momentum. This is because Hermitian matrices have the property of being self-adjoint, meaning that their eigenvalues are real and their eigenvectors are orthogonal. This makes them useful for representing physical quantities in quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any applications of the product of Hermitian matrices outside of mathematics and physics?

Yes, the product of Hermitian matrices has applications in various fields such as signal processing, control theory, and statistics. In signal processing, Hermitian matrices are used to represent signals and the product of these matrices can be used to filter and manipulate these signals. In control theory, Hermitian matrices are used to represent system dynamics and the product is used to analyze stability and performance. In statistics, Hermitian matrices are used to represent covariance matrices and the product can be used to estimate parameters and make predictions.