Understanding the Proof of X & Y Connected Topological Spaces: A Deeper Look

In summary, the professor showed that X \otimes Y is a connected topological space by constructing a continuous function f that maps points in X \otimes Y to either 0 or 1 in the discrete topological space \{0,1\}. He then proved that f is constant and used the fact that \{x\} \otimes Y is homeomorphic to Y to show that X \otimes Y is connected. The choice of \{0,1\} as the target space for f was motivated by its simplicity in characterizing the image of a disconnected space.
Oxymoron
If [itex]X[/itex] and [itex]Y[/itex] are two connected topological spaces then so is [itex]X \otimes Y[/itex].

I want to understand the proof of this theorem but I am having some difficulties. Even though we went over it in class, it is still unclear to me.

The professor constructed this continuous function:

[tex]f:X\otimes Y \rightarrow \{0,1\}[/tex]

Where [itex]\{0,1\}[/itex] is a discrete topological space. Then he shows that [itex]f[/itex] is constant. He then claimed that [itex]\{x\} \otimes Y[/itex] is homeomorphic with [itex]Y[/itex] hence this subspace ([itex]\{x\}\otimes Y[/itex]) is connected - since [itex]Y[/itex] is.

Now this does not make sense to me and I wouldn't be suprised if it didn't make sense to any of you. If you think you have a better way of explaining the proof (it doesn't have to be this one) then I would appreciate the effort.

Im not sure exactly why one would begin by setting up a continuous function which maps points in the product space [itex]X \otimes Y[/itex] to either 0 or 1 in the discrete topological space, then claim that the function constant - then go on to show that [itex]\{x\} \otimes Y[/itex] is homeomorphic to [itex]Y[/itex].??

Physics news on Phys.org
Where [itex]\{0,1\}[/itex] is a discrete topological space. Then he shows that [itex]f[/itex] is constant. He then claimed that [itex]\{x\} \otimes Y[/itex] is homeomorphic with [itex]Y[/itex] hence this subspace ([itex]\{x\}\otimes Y[/itex]) is connected - since [itex]Y[/itex] is.

Actually come to think of it, I do understand this.

Im just not sure of why this is the correct procedure to proving that the product space is connected.

Hmmm, perhaps it is because if one finds a concrete homeomorphism between the product space to a pre-determined connected topological space, then since the homeomorphism preserved topological structure, the product space is therefore connected? Could this be the reason?

I think you may have misunderstood what he was saying. Of course, [itex]\{x\} \times Y[/itex] is homeomorphic to Y: the function f(x,y)= y is clearly continuous with a continuous inverse f-1(y)= (x,y).
That being true, since Y is connected, so is [itex]\{x\} \times Y[/itex]. A continuous function maps connected sets to connected sets so any continuous function must map [itex]\{x\} \times Y[/itex] to either {0} or {1}- those are the only connected subsets of {0, 1} with the discreet topology.
Now, do same with [itex]X \times \{y\}[/itex]- and observe that any y will be matched with every x, any x with every y: f must map all of [itex]X \times Y[/itex] into a connected set: either {0} or {1} and therefore f is a constant.
Your professor is not first proving that f must be constant and then that f map [itex]X \times Y[/itex] to a connected set, he is first proving that f maps [itex]X\times Y[/itex] to a connected set and then using that to prove that f must be constant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Halls once again. I understand it now.

However, one small question. Why choose {0,1} as the target space for f? I need motivation for the choice of {0,1}. Why not X or Y or some other space? Is it because {0,1} is easy to work with? I am not sure.

Oxymoron said:
Thanks Halls once again. I understand it now.
However, one small question. Why choose {0,1} as the target space for f? I need motivation for the choice of {0,1}. Why not X or Y or some other space? Is it because {0,1} is easy to work with? I am not sure.
The latter reason. He wanted a disconnected space to map to where it was easy to characterize when the image of another space was disconnected.

Perfect. Exactly what I thought (I couldn't be sure). Thanks hyper.

1. What is the definition of a connected topological space?

A connected topological space is a mathematical concept that describes a space where there are no subsets that are both open and closed. In other words, there are no disjoint open sets in the space.

2. How are X and Y connected topological spaces related?

X and Y connected topological spaces are related in that they share the same properties and characteristics. They both have no disjoint open sets and are considered to be topologically equivalent.

3. How does understanding the proof of X & Y connected topological spaces benefit mathematicians?

Understanding the proof of X & Y connected topological spaces allows mathematicians to gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles of topology, which is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of spaces and how they are preserved under continuous transformations.

4. Can you provide an example of a connected topological space?

One example of a connected topological space is a circle. It has no subsets that are both open and closed, as any open arc on a circle is connected to the rest of the circle. Therefore, it is not possible to divide a circle into two disjoint open sets.

5. Are there any real-world applications of understanding the proof of X & Y connected topological spaces?

Yes, there are several real-world applications of understanding the proof of X & Y connected topological spaces. Some examples include modeling the behavior of fluids, analyzing the connectivity of networks, and understanding the structure of biological systems.