1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Product Spaces

1. Oct 27, 2005 #1
    If [itex]X[/itex] and [itex]Y[/itex] are two connected topological spaces then so is [itex]X \otimes Y[/itex].

I want to understand the proof of this theorem but I am having some difficulties. Even though we went over it in class, it is still unclear to me.

The professor constructed this continuous function:

[tex]f:X\otimes Y \rightarrow \{0,1\}[/tex]

Where [itex]\{0,1\}[/itex] is a discrete topological space. Then he shows that [itex]f[/itex] is constant. He then claimed that [itex]\{x\} \otimes Y[/itex] is homeomorphic with [itex]Y[/itex] hence this subspace ([itex]\{x\}\otimes Y[/itex]) is connected - since [itex]Y[/itex] is.

Now this does not make sense to me and I wouldn't be suprised if it didn't make sense to any of you. If you think you have a better way of explaining the proof (it doesn't have to be this one) then I would appreciate the effort.

Im not sure exactly why one would begin by setting up a continuous function which maps points in the product space [itex]X \otimes Y[/itex] to either 0 or 1 in the discrete topological space, then claim that the function constant - then go on to show that [itex]\{x\} \otimes Y[/itex] is homeomorphic to [itex]Y[/itex].??
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2005 #2
    Actually come to think of it, I do understand this.

Im just not sure of why this is the correct procedure to proving that the product space is connected.
  4. Oct 27, 2005 #3
    Hmmm, perhaps it is because if one finds a concrete homeomorphism between the product space to a pre-determined connected topological space, then since the homeomorphism preserved topological structure, the product space is therefore connected? Could this be the reason?
  5. Oct 27, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think you may have misunderstood what he was saying. Of course, [itex]\{x\} \times Y[/itex] is homeomorphic to Y: the function f(x,y)= y is clearly continuous with a continuous inverse f-1(y)= (x,y).
    That being true, since Y is connected, so is [itex]\{x\} \times Y[/itex]. A continuous function maps connected sets to connected sets so any continuous function must map [itex]\{x\} \times Y[/itex] to either {0} or {1}- those are the only connected subsets of {0, 1} with the discreet topology.
    Now, do same with [itex]X \times \{y\}[/itex]- and observe that any y will be matched with every x, any x with every y: f must map all of [itex]X \times Y[/itex] into a connected set: either {0} or {1} and therefore f is a constant.
    Your professor is not first proving that f must be constant and then that f map [itex]X \times Y[/itex] to a connected set, he is first proving that f maps [itex]X\times Y[/itex] to a connected set and then using that to prove that f must be constant.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2005
  6. Oct 27, 2005 #5
    Thanks Halls once again. I understand it now.

However, one small question. Why choose {0,1} as the target space for f? I need motivation for the choice of {0,1}. Why not X or Y or some other space? Is it because {0,1} is easy to work with? Im not sure.
  7. Oct 27, 2005 #6
    The latter reason. He wanted a disconnected space to map to where it was easy to characterize when the image of another space was disconnected.
  8. Oct 27, 2005 #7
    Perfect. Exactly what I thought (I couldn't be sure). Thanks hyper.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?