Let σ a cycle of length s. Then σ^2 is a cycle iff s is odd.

  • Thread starter Thread starter jmjlt88
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cycle Length
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 7K views
jmjlt88
Messages
94
Reaction score
0
Proposition: Suppose σ is a cycle of length s. Then σ2 is a cycle if and only if s is odd.

Quick remark... The following "proof" seems more like an explanation. This is for a self-study and I am looking back through my notes to refine/correct/improve. If you were correcting this, say out of 10pts, what would you give it?

Proof:

Let σ be a cycle of length s. That is, σ=(a1a2a3...as-1as). Suppose s is odd. Now, we calculate σ2 and we obtain that σ2=(a1a3a5a7...asa2a4a6...as-1). We notice that all odd numbered terms appear first in our cycle. Then, as, our last odd numbered term, gets sent to a2. The term a2 starts a sequence of moving even numbered terms to the next even numbered term, which concludes with as-1, which is also even. The term as-1 gets sent to a1 which completes the cycle. Now if s was even, then the term as-1 would be odd. But, as-1 would still get sent to a1. Hence, σ2 would be written as the product of disjoint cycles. That is,
[Equation 1] σ2=(a1a3a5a7...as-1)(a2a4a6...as). Thus, σ2 would not be a cycle.

Similarly, if we have that σ2 is cycle, then we deduce that s must be odd or else a situation similar to [Equation 1] would arise.

QED


Thanks for the help! :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
hi jmjlt88! :smile:

sorry, but personally i'd give you 6, since it's a bit confusing and, although i think you've probably grasped the principles involved, I'm not convinced you have :redface:

since you apparently see how to make the cycles, it would be simpler just to show the single cycle and the pair of cycles, for the two cases

(also, i recommend using 2n and 2n+1, instead of the same symbol for both odd and even numbers :wink:)
 
Hey tiny-tim! Thanks! I actually did it like you said on paper. In my notes, I wrote the cycle in different notation [the two line notation where you put the elements on top and what they get sent to in the botton] which made it clearer. I then just observed what happened when s was odd, and then when s was even. Maybe if you saw that, I'd get a passing mark! =)
 
hey jmjlt88! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)

yes that looks better :smile:

except I'm worried about …
jmjlt88 said:
… I then just observed what happened when s was odd, and then when s was even.

… if by "observed" you mean explained in words, it would be clearer (and probably more convincing) if you just did it with maths, eg (2k 2(k+1) etc) and (2k+1 2(k+1)+1 etc) :wink: