Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Program for Graphic Design

1. Jan 15, 2008 #1
    Hi folks,

I'm looking for a solid program to design graphics like pendulums for oscillation tasks etc. I would like to integrate them in LaTeX afterwards.

Can somebody recommend me some software you find useful? Maybe Illustrator?

Thanks,
    Fab

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Illustrator would do I suppose since you can make vector images with it.

4. Jan 15, 2008 #3

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Inkscape works quite well and is free. It is not as advanced as Illustrator but works well for simple illustrations.

5. Jan 18, 2008 #4
    much appreciated!

thanks

6. Jun 2, 2008 #5
    Hello all!
    I am a new member here and I would like to ask you something.

I am teaching Physics in Greece and I would like to have a program to create some schemes as easy as possible.

I would like something better than MS paint but something easier than corel or illustrator if possible.

Here you have some examples attached

Once you suggest me a program, do you think that I can find a library of cliparts with objects like the ones you see? (arrows,springs,pulleys etc)

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

• (1).jpg
      (1).jpg
      File size:
      17.8 KB
      Views:
    • (2).jpg
      (2).jpg
      File size:
      25.5 KB
      Views:
    • (4).JPG
      (4).JPG
      File size:
      47.4 KB
      Views:
  7. Jun 4, 2008 #6
    Well, just decided to use smartdraw!
    It's very good with lot of cliparts.

The only negative is that I can't find any clipart showing springs.

Any idea where to find?

8. Jun 5, 2008 #7

Danger

Gold Member

You could do what I do, but it requires some patience. Whenever I needed something like a spring or a drill bit, which takes a long time to draw, I stashed a copy into a separate Illustrator file called 'weird ****'. Next time that I needed one, I'd just copy the original into my new project and rescale/reorient it to suit the purpose. It's a relatively simple and painless way to build up a fairly impressive library of components.
    Unfortunately, I can't access it since W dumped a coffee into my iBook. The new MacBook won't run my Illustrator anyhow, so now I'm starting over with Inkscape.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?