Which Programming Language Should You Learn After HTML&CSS?

In summary, after learning HTML and CSS, you can consider learning either Javascript, Python, C, or Ruby. The amount of time it would take to master these languages would depend on your dedication, but assuming you spend 3 hours each day, it could take several months to a year. Elm, which compiles to HTML, CSS, and Javascript, is a newer language that is gaining popularity in web programming. If you prefer a more traditional programming experience, Python is a good option. Additionally, the Processing.org IDE offers the ability to code in Java or Python, and has examples and graphics capabilities. Ultimately, the language you choose to learn next will depend on your goals and what type of development you want to focus on.
averycasille
Gold Member
After learning HTML&CSS, which do you reckon I should learn? Javascript, Python, C or Ruby?

Also, how long would it take to master it assuming I spend full 3 hours each day?

Technology news on Phys.org
How about Elm? It compiles to HTML+CSS+Javascript is poised to be the next big thing web programming.

elm-lang.org

with tutorials at:

elm-tutorial.org

If you want a more standard programming experience then go with Python.

Lastly, I like using the Processing.org IDE. It can do Java but it has Python mode and some examples and can do fancy graphics.

Depends on what you want to do.

That's like saying "I've learned English and French, what should I learn next?" It depends on if you want to do business in China or humanitarian causes in Africa.

Are you making webpages, webservices, native applications? HTML and CSS are all webpage stuff, so you either want to continue developing web page code (javascript) or learn webservice code (PHP usually.)

1. What are the most popular programming languages to learn after HTML and CSS?

The most popular programming languages to learn after HTML and CSS are JavaScript, Python, Java, C++, and Ruby. These languages are widely used in web development, software engineering, and data science.

2. Which programming language should I learn if I want to become a web developer?

If you want to become a web developer, the best programming language to learn after HTML and CSS is JavaScript. It is the language used for adding interactivity and dynamic features to websites and is essential for front-end development.

3. Is it better to learn a general-purpose programming language or a specialized one?

It depends on your career goals and interests. General-purpose languages like Python and Java are versatile and used in various industries, while specialized languages like PHP and Swift are more focused on specific tasks.

4. How long does it take to learn a new programming language?

The time it takes to learn a new programming language varies depending on your dedication and previous experience. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months to become proficient in a language.

5. Can I learn multiple programming languages at the same time?

Yes, you can learn multiple programming languages at the same time, but it may not be the most efficient way to learn. It is recommended to focus on one language at a time and become comfortable with its concepts before moving on to another language.