What are some recommended physics books for learning with code?

In summary: Code=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325Numerical Methods for Mechanics of Shells by A. S. Demidov and V. V. Semenov
Steve Drake
I am looking for recommendations of books that teach physics, with an emphasis on solving real-world problems with code.

I find I can only really fully grasp a concept if I can actually program it and visualize it in MATLAB, change variables and see what effect that has on the results.

So would anyone have recommendations of books that are accompanied with computer code? My language of choice is MATLAB but I can translate anything really to MATLAB, so the focus would be on lots of examples and thorough code.

It would be great if it went through all the important physical mathematics such as ODE's PDE's and their applications eg Electromag.. I just find book after book with the same equations written down but have no idea how to actually use them.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I can only recommend the text I used for computational physics. Our language was Matlab as well, but the text was written in Fortran. That doesn't particularly matter though, since they introduce the pseudocode first:

http://www.physics.purdue.edu/~hisao/book/

Likes 1 person
Pythagorean said:
I can only recommend the text I used for computational physics. Our language was Matlab as well, but the text was written in Fortran. That doesn't particularly matter though, since they introduce the pseudocode first:

http://www.physics.purdue.edu/~hisao/book/

Thanks, I had a look at the first few examples and got them working in MATLAB. This is definitely the kind of thing I am after. I will pick up this book so I can actually understand what's going on now lol.

Any more suggestions along the lines of this would be great, thanks.

Steve Drake said:
I am looking for recommendations of books that teach physics, with an emphasis on solving real-world problems with code.

I find I can only really fully grasp a concept if I can actually program it and visualize it in MATLAB, change variables and see what effect that has on the results.

So would anyone have recommendations of books that are accompanied with computer code? My language of choice is MATLAB but I can translate anything really to MATLAB, so the focus would be on lots of examples and thorough code.

It would be great if it went through all the important physical mathematics such as ODE's PDE's and their applications eg Electromag.. I just find book after book with the same equations written down but have no idea how to actually use them.

Thanks

Here is a book in numerical methods related to mechanics of shells (with lots of commented ready-to-use source codes in C/C++ on applied CD-ROM):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0646594044/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What are some recommended physics books for learning with code?

1. What topics are typically covered in programming physics books?

Programming physics books often cover topics such as basic physics principles, numerical methods, simulations, data analysis, and modeling in various programming languages.

2. Do I need to have a strong background in physics to understand programming physics books?

While a basic understanding of physics principles can be helpful, most programming physics books are designed for beginners and assume no prior knowledge of physics. However, some books may require basic knowledge of coding and programming concepts.

3. Which programming languages are commonly used in programming physics books?

The most commonly used programming languages in programming physics books are Python, Java, C++, and MATLAB. However, some books may use other languages such as R, Fortran, or Mathematica.

4. Are there any recommended programming physics books for specific fields of physics?

There are several programming physics books that focus on specific fields of physics, such as astrophysics, quantum mechanics, or fluid dynamics. It is recommended to research and choose a book that aligns with your specific interests.

5. Can programming physics books be used for self-study or are they best used in a classroom setting?

Programming physics books can be used for both self-study and in a classroom setting. They often include exercises and practice problems to help readers apply the concepts learned. However, some books may be more suitable for self-study while others may be better suited for a classroom setting with a teacher or instructor.