Programming TI Products: Beginner's Guide to Programming CC2540/CC2541 Chips

In summary, the conversation discussed the speaker's interest in TI's Bluetooth Low Energy chips and their project to control a DC motor using a TI CC2540 or CC2541. They asked for advice and resources for programming the chips, and were directed to the TI website where they could find tools and software, specifically the Eclipse-based Code Composer IDE, for programming in C++ or Java.
Moneer81
Hello guys,

I am a little intrigued with TI's (Texas Instrument) line of products, especially the Bluetooth Low Energy chips that they have. I am working on a project (personal, not school) and all I need to do is program a TI CC2540 or CC2541 to control a basic DC motor (eventually, from an app on a mobile device).

Since I am a total newb to TI, can someone give me a general idea of the road ahead?

- What program/environment does TI use? Is it C or C++?
- Do I need to purchase one of their kits to get going? Or can I just purchase the microcontroller and connect to it and start programming it (like I do with Arduino)?
- Any advice, resources, or beginner suggestions will be appreciated

Thanks,

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. How do I program my TI calculator?

To program your TI calculator, you will need to first download and install TI Connect software on your computer. Then, connect your calculator to your computer with a USB cable and launch the TI Connect software. From there, you can use the built-in programming editor to write and save programs directly onto your calculator.

2. Can I program my TI calculator using a different language?

Yes, TI calculators can be programmed using TI-Basic, a language specifically designed for TI products. However, there are also other third-party languages such as C and Assembly that can be used to program TI calculators. These languages require additional tools and knowledge, but can offer more advanced and customizable programming options.

3. What are the benefits of programming my TI calculator?

Programming your TI calculator allows you to create custom functions and programs that can save time and make complex calculations easier. It also allows you to personalize your calculator and make it more efficient for your specific needs. Additionally, programming can help improve your understanding of math and problem-solving skills.

4. Can I share my programs with others?

Yes, you can share your programs with others by transferring them to their TI calculators using the TI Connect software. You can also share your programs online through platforms such as TI's official program archive, or other online communities and forums dedicated to TI calculator programming.

5. Is programming difficult to learn for beginners?

Programming on TI calculators can be challenging for beginners, especially if you have no prior experience with coding. However, there are many online resources and tutorials available to help you get started. With practice and dedication, anyone can learn to program their TI calculator and create useful and unique programs.