Programming Tips for Creating a Game Like Mother

• Thread starter D a M i E n
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Programming
In summary: DirectX is not necessary, but it can help performance-wise.In summary, a programmer might use C++ if they are experienced in programming, and don't need any help with DirectX. Java is also an option, but it might be slower due to the use of standard libraries.
D a M i E n
Programming tip needed :)

Well this is the story,
I have to create a game similar to this one

Code:
[PLAIN]http://www.windowsgames.co.uk/mother.html
[/PLAIN]

I'm sure it's not a big deal, but thing is I'm majoring in hardware, so I'm kinda back on programming issues. So I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips on what to use to implement such a thing :)
Thanks a ton!

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Anyone?

What exactly is your question? Do you need a language suggestion? Do you need help with implementation? You will get a lot more help if you ask a pointed question i.e. why won't this code work, or how do I use this windows API...

The question you are asking is akin to "How do I write a program like Half-Life?" Well, the short answer is practice, practice, practice.

Good luck with your project. Sorry no one has jumped on this yet; however, I can almost guarantee if you ask a more direct question then you will most certainly get an answer.

faust9 said:
What exactly is your question? Do you need a language suggestion? Do you need help with implementation? You will get a lot more help if you ask a pointed question i.e. why won't this code work, or how do I use this windows API...

The question you are asking is akin to "How do I write a program like Half-Life?" Well, the short answer is practice, practice, practice.

Good luck with your project. Sorry no one has jumped on this yet; however, I can almost guarantee if you ask a more direct question then you will most certainly get an answer.

I'm sure that a this game is nothing to compare to half life, but anyway, to rephrase, the question was : Can anyone give me some tips on how to start to implement a copy of this game? Which is better, C++ or Java in such a case? How important is the use of DirectX in implementation?
Just something to get me started, maybe when I actually start I can come back with more focused questions!

Cheers

D a M i E n said:
I'm sure that a this game is nothing to compare to half life, but anyway, to rephrase, the question was : Can anyone give me some tips on how to start to implement a copy of this game? Which is better, C++ or Java in such a case? How important is the use of DirectX in implementation?
Just something to get me started, maybe when I actually start I can come back with more focused questions!

Cheers

AFAIK most programmers use C++ for game development but I guess you can do it in Java or most other object oriented programming languages too. If you use use java you can expect your game to react a bit slower... I guess that's why most programmers use C++... it's sort of "real time".

For a basic game I don't think you have to use any advanced libraries... just standard for drawing (like standard classes and methods in java for drawing - panel, draw...) though this doesn't look as real commercial games.

Try finding some info on this page: http://www.gamedev.net/

I'd suggest C++ if you have at least some programming knowledge... but if you're not so good at it use any other object oriented language which doesn't cause any memory allocation problems and so on.

1. How do I come up with a unique storyline for my game like Mother?

When creating a game like Mother, it is important to start by brainstorming and identifying the main themes and elements you want to include. From there, you can develop a cohesive storyline by creating a plot outline, fleshing out your characters, and incorporating interesting conflicts and challenges for the player to overcome.

2. What programming languages should I use for creating a game like Mother?

There are several programming languages that can be used for creating a game like Mother, but some popular choices include JavaScript, C++, and Python. It is important to choose a language that you are comfortable with and that has the necessary capabilities for your game's design.

3. How can I ensure my game like Mother is visually appealing?

To make your game visually appealing, it is important to have a strong understanding of graphic design principles and utilize high-quality assets such as images, animations, and sound effects. It can also be helpful to gather feedback from others and make adjustments based on their suggestions.

4. What are some important factors to consider when designing the gameplay for a game like Mother?

When designing gameplay for a game like Mother, it is important to focus on creating a balance between challenge and enjoyment. This can be achieved by incorporating elements such as puzzles, strategic decision-making, and diverse gameplay mechanics. It is also important to keep the player engaged by adding various levels, rewards, and surprises throughout the game.

5. What are some tips for debugging and troubleshooting issues in a game like Mother?

To effectively debug and troubleshoot issues in a game like Mother, it is helpful to have a strong understanding of the coding and programming behind the game. This can allow you to identify and fix bugs more efficiently. It is also important to test the game frequently and gather feedback from others to catch any potential issues early on.