Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programming tip needed

1. Sep 22, 2005 #1
    Programming tip needed :)

Well this is the story,
    I have to create a game similar to this one

Code (Text):
    http://www.windowsgames.co.uk/mother.html
    I'm sure it's not a big deal, but thing is I'm majoring in hardware, so I'm kinda back on programming issues. So I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips on what to use to implement such a thing :)
    Thanks a ton!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2005 #2
    Anyone????

4. Sep 23, 2005 #3
    What exactly is your question? Do you need a language suggestion? Do you need help with implementation? You will get a lot more help if you ask a pointed question i.e. why wont this code work, or how do I use this windows API...

The question you are asking is akin to "How do I write a program like Half-Life?" Well, the short answer is practice, practice, practice.

Good luck with your project. Sorry no one has jumped on this yet; however, I can almost guarantee if you ask a more direct question then you will most certainly get an answer.

5. Sep 23, 2005 #4
  6. Sep 23, 2005 #5

I'm sure that a this game is nothing to compare to half life, but anyway, to rephrase, the question was : Can anyone give me some tips on how to start to implement a copy of this game? Which is better, C++ or Java in such a case? How important is the use of DirectX in implementation?
    Just something to get me started, maybe when I actually start I can come back with more focused questions!

Cheers

7. Sep 23, 2005 #6
    AFAIK most programmers use C++ for game development but I guess you can do it in Java or most other object oriented programming languages too. If you use use java you can expect your game to react a bit slower... I guess that's why most programmers use C++... it's sort of "real time".

For a basic game I don't think you have to use any advanced libraries... just standard for drawing (like standard classes and methods in java for drawing - panel, draw...) though this doesn't look as real commercial games.

Try finding some info on this page: http://www.gamedev.net/

I'd suggest C++ if you have at least some programming knowledge... but if you're not so good at it use any other object oriented language which doesn't cause any memory allocation problems and so on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?