Progress in High Tc Superconductors: A Brief Overview

In summary, significant progress has been made in the field of high temperature superconductors (HTS) since their discovery in the late 1980s. Researchers have been able to achieve superconductivity at higher temperatures, with the current record being over 200 K. This has allowed for the development of practical applications in various fields, such as power transmission, magnetic levitation, and medical imaging. However, challenges still remain in understanding the fundamental properties of HTS and finding ways to increase their critical temperature even further. Nevertheless, the advancements in HTS research have opened up new possibilities and potential for future technological innovations.
Groothouse
Just curious if anyone knew about any progress with higher critical temperature superconductors, whether they're cuprates or metals, what is the mixture of elements, you know just any news. I was thinking about looking into making a high tc superconductor of my own and yes I know that if its ceramic ill need a kiln

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My favorite site for updates on the latest high Tc superconductors is http://www.superconductors.org/ The latest report is superconductivity above 95C, which is nearly the boiling point of water. Go to the link "Superconductor News" to see the latest experimental results.

The highest confirmed superconducting temperature seems to be 133K which is well above the boiling point of liquid nitrogen, but equally well below what your kitchen fridge can reach.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-temperature_superconductivity

Since the cuprate superconductors, several other families have been discovered and investigated. These include rare-earth nickel borocarbides (R Ni2B2C), magnesium diboride (MgB2), iron arsenates (R Fe2 As2 and R O Fe As).

Room temperature and above superconductivity, for all I can tell, has still not been achieved reliably and reproducibly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Room-temperature_superconductor

Of all the materials listed above, MgB2 is easiest to make. In fact, you can buy it off the shelf. The catch is that the superconducting temperature is only 39K.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnesium_diboride

Davephaelon said:
My favorite site for updates on the latest high Tc superconductors is http://www.superconductors.org/ The latest report is superconductivity above 95C, which is nearly the boiling point of water. Go to the link "Superconductor News" to see the latest experimental results.
Caveat lector: you'll notice that none of the links on that page have actual peer-reviewed literature references. That's because none of the results have been accepted by the wider scientific community as veridical. I wouldn't trust anything you see on that website.

I'm rather disappointed to hear this. The site is just so well done, with great graphics. I was under the impression that the author of the site was only able to make very tiny quantities of these novel superconducting compounds, and assumed it was too difficult, or costly, to manufacture them in bulk quantities. But I thought his discussion of the history of superconductivity, and how superconductors work, was well written, especially for a layman like myself.

Last edited:
Davephaelon said:
I'm rather disappointed to hear this. The site is just so well done, with great graphics.

That is how most dubious websites try to seduce you. Do not fall for the bells and whistles. Looking good does not equate to being valid.

Zz.

Davephaelon said:
I'm rather disappointed to hear this. The site is just so well done, with great graphics. I was under the impression that the author of the site was only able to make very tiny quantities of these novel superconducting compounds, and assumed it was too difficult, or costly, to manufacture them in bulk quantities. But I thought his discussion of the history of superconductivity, and how superconductors work, was well written, especially for a layman like myself.
If the only issue was that he was only able to make very tiny quantities of the material, I doubt that would be a barrier to getting the claimed results published legitimately. The real issue is that his results look like noise.

1. What is a "high tc" superconductor?

A "high tc" superconductor is a type of superconductor that exhibits superconductivity at temperatures above the boiling point of liquid nitrogen (77 K or -196°C). This is considered high because most traditional superconductors require much lower temperatures, close to absolute zero, to exhibit superconductivity.

2. How does the temperature affect the superconductivity of high tc superconductors?

The temperature plays a crucial role in the superconductivity of high tc superconductors. These materials have a critical temperature, known as the "tc" or transition temperature, above which they lose their superconducting properties and become normal conductors. The higher the critical temperature, the more practical and useful the superconductor is.

3. What are some potential applications of high tc superconductors?

High tc superconductors have the potential to revolutionize various industries, such as energy, transportation, and healthcare. They can be used to create more efficient power transmission cables, faster and more powerful computer processors, and more sensitive medical imaging devices, among other applications.

4. How are high tc superconductors different from traditional superconductors?

High tc superconductors differ from traditional superconductors in several ways. They have a much higher critical temperature, can be made from different types of materials (such as ceramics instead of metals), and have different mechanisms for achieving superconductivity. They also have different properties, such as the ability to carry higher currents and magnetic fields.

5. What are the challenges in developing high tc superconductors?

Despite their potential, high tc superconductors still face several challenges in development. One of the biggest challenges is achieving superconductivity at even higher temperatures, closer to room temperature. Another challenge is finding materials that are both superconducting and mechanically strong enough for practical applications. Additionally, the production and cost of high tc superconductors are still significant barriers to their widespread use.