Projectile: Given V0, h, show d=(v0/g)sqrt((v0)^2-4gh)

• Thread starter qamptr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary, the problem involves a projectile with initial velocity v_{0} being fired from a gun at an angle that maximizes its range. The projectile passes through two points at a height h and the goal is to find the distance d between these two points. By applying the equations of motion for constant acceleration, a quadratic function is obtained for the horizontal distance x. After manipulation using the quadratic formula, the correct solution is found to be x=\frac{v^{2}_{0}}{2g}+\frac{1}{2gv_{0}}\sqrt{v^{2}_{0}-4gh}.
qamptr

Homework Statement

A projectile is fired from a gun (adjusted to give maximum range) with velocity [tex]v_{0}[/tex]. The projectile passes through two points at a height h. The problem asks us to show that [tex]d=\frac{v_{0}}{g}\sqrt{v^{2}_{0}-4gh}[/tex]
where d is the distance between the two points at height h.

Homework Equations

[tex]r=v_{0}t+\frac{1}{2}at^{2}[/tex]
[tex]v=v_{0}+at[/tex]
[tex]x= \frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^{2}-4ac}}{2a}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to get a quadratic function of x:
[tex]0=\frac{g}{v^{2}_{0}}x^{2}-x+h[/tex]

After manipulation using the quadratic formula, all I can see is:
[tex]x=\frac{v^{2}_{0}}{2g}+\frac{1}{v_{0}}\sqrt{v^{2}_{0}-4gh}[/tex]

Which just looks so close but I'm killing myself in trying to see how it is either (1) wrong or (2) able to be simplified.

EDIT: [tex]x=\frac{v^{2}_{0}}{2g}+\frac{1}{2gv_{0}}\sqrt{v^{2}_{0}-4gh}[/tex], sorry.

Help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does anyone even have any suggestions? This is actually due in about an hour and a half. I'm not heartbroken or anything but I'm feeling pretty annoyed that I might not get this problem. I honestly can't see what's going wrong here. Any creative suggestions or strong nudges are totally welcome.

Thanks...

Alright, so, I currently have the following written on my paper:

[tex]x= \frac{v^{2}_{0} \pm v_{0} \sqrt{v^{2}_{0}-4gh}}{2g} [/tex]

I can't find the correction that makes this into the formula asked for.

Ahhhhhhh... So, this one was staring me in the face. Done and with 20 minutes to spare.

1. What is the equation for projectile motion given initial velocity and height?

The equation for projectile motion is d=(v0/g)sqrt((v0)^2-4gh), where d is the distance traveled, v0 is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the initial height.

2. How do you solve for the distance in projectile motion?

To solve for the distance in projectile motion, you can use the equation d=(v0/g)sqrt((v0)^2-4gh), where v0 is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the initial height. Plug in the values for these variables and solve for d.

3. What is the significance of the square root in the projectile motion equation?

The square root in the projectile motion equation represents the vertical component of the motion. It takes into account the initial velocity and initial height to determine the distance traveled by the projectile.

4. How does changing the initial velocity affect the distance traveled in projectile motion?

Changing the initial velocity will directly affect the distance traveled in projectile motion. The higher the initial velocity, the farther the projectile will travel. This is because a higher initial velocity will result in a greater horizontal displacement.

5. How does the acceleration due to gravity affect the distance traveled in projectile motion?

The acceleration due to gravity, represented by g in the equation, also plays a significant role in determining the distance traveled in projectile motion. The larger the value of g, the shorter the distance traveled. This is because a larger acceleration due to gravity will result in a steeper trajectory and a shorter time in the air.