Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile motion and angular motion

1. Mar 25, 2005 #1
    Hi.

I have two questions which I have been pondering on and I just can't figure it out. Maybe someone could be kind enough to answer the questions?

Q1; Projectile motion: Let's say we dropped a ball from a height called h.
    We achieve a velocity [tex] v=\sqrt{2gh} [/tex]. Let's then say that we hit the ball in differently angle with a paddle. What will the motion equations become?

Q2: Angular motion: Let's say we have a ball in vaacum. We make this ball rotate. Then this ball achieves angular velocity, the direction of the angular velocity [tex] \omega [/tex] can be found by the right-hand rule. But I am confused, what does the angular velocity's direction tell us? It it where the ball will move towards?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Solve the system

[tex] m\frac{d^{2}\vec{r}}{dt^{2}}=m\vec{g} [/tex]

with the initial conditions that u wish to impose...

Nope.If the ball just rotates around a fix axis (for simplicity),then the direction of [itex] \vec{\omega} [/itex] will be along the rotation axis and,incidentally,the angular momentum [itex] \vec{L} [/itex] will have the same direction.So yes,i the ball doesn't translate,then specifying the modulus,sense & direction of either [itex] \vec{L} [/itex] or [itex] \vec{\omega} [/itex] will completely determine the movement,in case the ball is not acted on by any force (except gravity which would give a zero torque under normal conditions)...

Daniel.

4. Mar 25, 2005 #3
    I'm sorry to ask again. But I didn't understand your answer. How did you achieve that equation, could you show me? What is [tex]\vec{r}[/tex]? Is it the radius of the ball? Let's say I impose initial conditions as none friction and none air resistance. How will the equation turn out then?

Thank you for the answer of Q2.

5. Mar 25, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's the II-nd law of Newton for translation movement...Mass times acceleration is equal to the vector sum of all forces acting on the body.In this case,it's only gravity.That [itex] \vec{r} [/itex] is the position vector for the CM of the body wrt an inertial reference system.

Daniel.

6. Mar 25, 2005 #5
    Thank you for your help, Daniel. I appreciate it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?