Projectile motion and angular motion

In summary, the conversation is about two questions related to projectile motion and angular motion. The first question asks about the change in motion equations when a ball is hit at a different angle with a paddle. The second question is about the direction of angular velocity and its relation to the movement of a rotating ball. The conversation also includes a request for help in solving a system for a ball in free fall under specific initial conditions. The expert provides a summary of the conversation, explaining the equations and concepts involved in the questions.
abdul
Hi.

I have two questions which I have been pondering on and I just can't figure it out. Maybe someone could be kind enough to answer the questions?

Q1; Projectile motion: Let's say we dropped a ball from a height called h.
We achieve a velocity [tex] v=\sqrt{2gh} [/tex]. Let's then say that we hit the ball in differently angle with a paddle. What will the motion equations become?

Q2: Angular motion: Let's say we have a ball in vaacum. We make this ball rotate. Then this ball achieves angular velocity, the direction of the angular velocity [tex] \omega [/tex] can be found by the right-hand rule. But I am confused, what does the angular velocity's direction tell us? It it where the ball will move towards?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
abdul said:
Hi.

I have two questions which I have been pondering on and I just can't figure it out. Maybe someone could be kind enough to answer the questions?

Q1; Projectile motion: Let's say we dropped a ball from a height called h.
We achieve a velocity [tex] v=\sqrt{2gh} [/tex]. Let's then say that we hit the ball in differently angle with a paddle. What will the motion equations become?

Solve the system

[tex] m\frac{d^{2}\vec{r}}{dt^{2}}=m\vec{g} [/tex]

with the initial conditions that u wish to impose...

abdul said:
Q2: Angular motion: Let's say we have a ball in vaacum. We make this ball rotate. Then this ball achieves angular velocity, the direction of the angular velocity [tex] \omega [/tex] can be found by the right-hand rule. But I am confused, what does the angular velocity's direction tell us? It it where the ball will move towards?

Thank you.

Nope.If the ball just rotates around a fix axis (for simplicity),then the direction of [itex] \vec{\omega} [/itex] will be along the rotation axis and,incidentally,the angular momentum [itex] \vec{L} [/itex] will have the same direction.So yes,i the ball doesn't translate,then specifying the modulus,sense & direction of either [itex] \vec{L} [/itex] or [itex] \vec{\omega} [/itex] will completely determine the movement,in case the ball is not acted on by any force (except gravity which would give a zero torque under normal conditions)...

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Solve the system

[tex] m\frac{d^{2}\vec{r}}{dt^{2}}=m\vec{g} [/tex]

with the initial conditions that u wish to impose...

I'm sorry to ask again. But I didn't understand your answer. How did you achieve that equation, could you show me? What is [tex]\vec{r}[/tex]? Is it the radius of the ball? Let's say I impose initial conditions as none friction and none air resistance. How will the equation turn out then?

Thank you for the answer of Q2.

It's the II-nd law of Newton for translation movement...Mass times acceleration is equal to the vector sum of all forces acting on the body.In this case,it's only gravity.That [itex] \vec{r} [/itex] is the position vector for the CM of the body wrt an inertial reference system.

Daniel.

Thank you for your help, Daniel. I appreciate it.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is moving through the air or space under the influence of gravity. The object follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. What is the difference between projectile motion and angular motion?

Projectile motion involves the motion of an object through space, while angular motion refers to the rotation of an object around a fixed axis. In projectile motion, the object's path is affected by gravity, while in angular motion, the object's rotation is affected by forces like torque.

3. How is the trajectory of a projectile determined?

The trajectory of a projectile is determined by the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the force of gravity. These factors can be used to calculate the projectile's range, maximum height, and time of flight.

4. What is the relationship between velocity and acceleration in projectile motion?

In projectile motion, the velocity and acceleration are perpendicular to each other. The acceleration is always constant due to the force of gravity acting on the object, while the velocity changes in both magnitude and direction as the object moves along its parabolic path.

5. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect the trajectory of a projectile by slowing it down and altering its path. This is because the force of air resistance acts in the opposite direction of the projectile's motion, causing it to lose speed and change direction slightly. In some cases, air resistance can significantly impact the range and height of a projectile.