Projectile Motion football question

In summary, the ranking of the paths for a football kicked from ground level, in order of time of flight, initial horizontal velocity component, and initial speed, are all equal with a rank of 1.
mmattson07

Homework Statement

In the following questions, you will be ranking these paths a) time of flight b) initial horizontal velocity component and c)initial speed.

If multiple paths rank equally, use the same rank for each, then exclude the intermediate ranking (i.e. if objects A, B, and C must be ranked, and A and B must both be ranked first, the ranking would be A:1, B:1, C:3). If all paths rank equally, rank each as '1'.
Figure 4-26 shows three paths for a football kicked from ground level.

Homework Equations

FIGURE 4-26

http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs4957/art/qb/qu/c04/image_eprof69118_c04q_cq_1_9_eat_11831454619810_6638757528936116.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Time of flight: a) 1 b) 2 c)3
Initial horizontal velocity component: a) 1 b)1 c)1
Initial speed: a)1 b)2 c)3

Just want to make sure I understand this correctly. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where is the figure?

It should be there under Relevant Equations. I see it fine?

Since maximum heights of the projectiles are the same, the time of flights must be the same. Other things are correct.

Okay. I thought that might be the case but since their initial vertical velocities are different I thought that might affect flight time.

mmattson07 said:
Okay. I thought that might be the case but since their initial vertical velocities are different I thought that might affect flight time.
Initial vertical velocities are different but v*sinθ is constant and h is also constant. So t is constant.

I'm not sure, but the figures seem a little off. By which I mean they don't seem perfect parabolas, but a little stunted, like when a friction component is induced. Does the question say whether friction or not?

The problem indicates to ignore the effects of air.

Ok then you should be fine

1. What is projectile motion in football?

Projectile motion in football is the curved path that a football takes when it is kicked or thrown. This is caused by the combination of the initial force applied to the ball and the force of gravity acting on it.

2. How does the angle of the kick affect the projectile motion of the football?

The angle of the kick plays a crucial role in determining the trajectory of the football. The higher the angle, the higher the ball will travel and the longer it will stay in the air. However, a lower angle kick will result in a shorter and more direct trajectory.

3. What other factors besides angle can affect the projectile motion of a football?

Other factors that can affect the projectile motion of a football include the initial velocity of the kick, the air resistance, and the spin put on the ball. These factors can all impact the path and distance of the ball.

4. Why does the football follow a curved path instead of a straight line?

The football follows a curved path due to the force of gravity acting on it. As soon as the ball is kicked, gravity pulls it towards the ground, causing it to follow a curved path rather than a straight line. Additionally, the spin of the ball can also contribute to the curved path.

5. How can the understanding of projectile motion be applied in football games?

Understanding projectile motion can help players and coaches make strategic decisions during a football game. By considering the angle, force, and other factors, players can better predict the trajectory of the ball and make more accurate passes and shots. It can also be used to analyze and improve kicking techniques.