1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Projectile Motion football question

1. Sep 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the following questions, you will be ranking these paths a) time of flight b) initial horizontal velocity component and c)initial speed.

If multiple paths rank equally, use the same rank for each, then exclude the intermediate ranking (i.e. if objects A, B, and C must be ranked, and A and B must both be ranked first, the ranking would be A:1, B:1, C:3). If all paths rank equally, rank each as '1'.
    Figure 4-26 shows three paths for a football kicked from ground level.

2. Relevant equations
    FIGURE 4-26

http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs4957/art/qb/qu/c04/image_eprof69118_c04q_cq_1_9_eat_11831454619810_6638757528936116.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution

Time of flight: a) 1 b) 2 c)3
    Initial horizontal velocity component: a) 1 b)1 c)1
    Initial speed: a)1 b)2 c)3

Just want to make sure I understand this correctly. Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2010 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Where is the figure?

4. Sep 27, 2010 #3
    It should be there under Relevant Equations. I see it fine?

5. Sep 27, 2010 #4

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Since maximum heights of the projectiles are the same, the time of flights must be the same. Other things are correct.

6. Sep 28, 2010 #5
    Okay. I thought that might be the case but since their initial vertical velocities are different I thought that might affect flight time.

7. Sep 28, 2010 #6

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Initial vertical velocities are different but v*sinθ is constant and h is also constant. So t is constant.

8. Sep 28, 2010 #7
    I'm not sure, but the figures seem a little off. By which I mean they don't seem perfect parabolas, but a little stunted, like when a friction component is induced. Does the question say whether friction or not?

9. Sep 28, 2010 #8
    The problem indicates to ignore the effects of air.

10. Sep 28, 2010 #9
    Ok then you should be fine

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook