Projectile motion of a baseball

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving projectile motion and a baseball player hitting a homerun. The player hits the ball at a 45 degree angle, 1.3m above the ground, and the ball clears a 3.0m wall 130m from home plate. The question asks for the velocity at which the player struck the ball. The solution involves using the equations for change in X and Y, with the angle of launch being 45 degrees, and solving for velocity. The conversation also mentions the need for a value for time, which may not be given.
unknown_2
hey, I'm having some difficulty with this problem.
A baseball player makes perfect contact with the ball, striking it 45 degrees above the horizontal at a point 1.3m above the ground. his homerun hit just clears the 3.0m wall 130m from home plate. with what velocity did the baseball player strike the ball?
Code:
  /
 /                                                            |
[U]/ ) 45     [/U]                                                   |
    |                                                         | 3.0m 
    | 1.3m                                                    |
    |[U]                                                         |             [/U]    
                                 130m

this is pritty much what i have. i have no clue where to start. I've been trying to figure it out but no success... :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Read up on projectile motion. Then ask any question.

uh...i did...i did lyk..30 questions on projectile motion...i know how to do the questions. I'm just stuck on this question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Were you not given a value for time between the ball being hit and it clearing the wall?

(Although you may not need it for this question)

ok...i am pretty sure i can help you witht his one :)
if you have been learning projectile motion in class then you should know:
[tex]\Delta Y = (V_{0}sin\varphi)(t)-.5gt^{2}[/tex]
where [tex]\varphi = 45 degrees (the angle of "launch"[/tex]
also you should know:
[tex]\Delta X = (V_{0}cos\varphi)(t)[/tex]

NOW here is what you will have to do:
solve the change in X function for t and plug that in for wherever "t" appears in the change in Y equation
set the change in Y to equal 1.7 m (the ball needs to at least hit that point to make it over the wall) and then solve that big nasty equation algebraically to get [tex]\ (V_{0} [/tex]

***edit : sorry its my first time with the math code so ill write this out
phi = 45 because its the angle of launch (the writing was kinda hard to read)
hope i was helpful!

Last edited:

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and then moves under the influence of gravity. In the case of a baseball, the ball is launched by a pitcher and then moves towards the ground under the force of gravity.

What factors affect the projectile motion of a baseball?

The factors that affect the projectile motion of a baseball include the initial velocity of the ball, the angle at which it is launched, the force of gravity, and air resistance. Additionally, the mass and shape of the ball can also have an impact on its motion.

How does the angle of launch affect the trajectory of a baseball?

The angle of launch has a significant impact on the trajectory of a baseball. If the ball is launched at a low angle, it will have a shorter horizontal distance but a higher vertical distance. Conversely, a higher launch angle will result in a longer horizontal distance but a lower vertical distance.

What is the maximum height reached by a baseball during its projectile motion?

The maximum height reached by a baseball during its projectile motion depends on the initial velocity and launch angle. With a higher initial velocity and a lower launch angle, the ball will reach a higher maximum height. However, air resistance and gravity will also play a role in determining the maximum height.

How does air resistance affect the projectile motion of a baseball?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can have a significant impact on the projectile motion of a baseball. As the ball moves through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion due to air resistance. This force can cause the ball to slow down and alter its trajectory.