Projectile Motion of Basketball Shot to Ring

So, using the vertical motion equation, we can find the time taken for the ball to reach the ring, which is 0.91 seconds. Then, using this time in the horizontal motion equation, we can find the horizontal displacement to be approximately 2.94 meters. In summary, the basketball will travel a horizontal displacement of approximately 2.94 meters between being released and reaching the ring, with an initial vertical velocity of 4.45m/s and horizontal velocity of 3.23m/s. The time taken for the ball to reach the ring is 0.91 seconds.
Chooks

Homework Statement

A basketball is thrown from a height of 2.8m above the ground and goes through a basketball ring that is 3.3m above the ground. If the release velocity was 5.5 m/s at an angle of 54 degrees upwards from the horizontal, calculate the horizontal displacement the ball will travel between being released and reaching the ring

Homework Equations

I know I have to find initial vertical and horizontal velocity and time

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found initial vertical velocity of 4.45m/s and horizontal velocity to be 3.23m/s

I don't know where to start with time as i have only ever done projectiles that take-off and land at the same height ?

Physics news on Phys.org
For any vertical or horizontal displacement, the time taken are equal.

Last edited:

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and then moves along a curved path under the influence of gravity. It is a combination of horizontal and vertical motion.

2. How does projectile motion apply to a basketball shot?

When a basketball is shot towards the ring, it follows a curved path due to the force of gravity. The initial launch angle and speed of the ball will determine the shape of the path.

3. What factors affect the projectile motion of a basketball shot?

The launch angle, initial velocity, and air resistance are the main factors that affect the projectile motion of a basketball shot. The height of the shooter and the distance from the ring can also have an impact.

4. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a basketball shot?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can slow down the velocity of the basketball and change its trajectory. This is why a basketball shot from a higher distance may have a different trajectory compared to a shot from a lower distance.

5. How can we calculate the trajectory of a basketball shot using projectile motion equations?

The trajectory of a basketball shot can be calculated using the equations for projectile motion, which take into account the initial velocity, launch angle, and acceleration due to gravity. By solving these equations, we can determine the height, distance, and time of flight of the ball.