Projectile Motion Questions: Mechanics for Beginners

• Thread starter paul9619
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary, the conversation is about a new member introducing themselves and asking questions about the subject of mechanics. The first question is about considering the vertical and horizontal motion of a projectile independently, and the second question involves calculating the speed, angle of impact, and kinetic energy of a bomb dropped from a plane at a given height and speed. The conversation also mentions the assumption of no air resistance in the calculations.
paul9619
Hi all. I am new to the forum. Mechanics is a totally new subject to me and I have a few questions to post over the next few weeks that i would like your feedback on, just to make sure I am along the right lines :)

The first won i have done is as follows:

1) How is it possible to consider the vertical and horizontal motion of a projectile independently of each other?

I reckon its because the horizontal is constant and has no other force acting in its direction!

2) A Plane of level flight at 300MPH and a height of 4KM drop's a 75KG bomb. Ignoring resistance calculate:

a)The speed of the bomb in meters/sec at the instant of impact

I firstly converted the 300 mph to m/s and got 134.112m/s.
I then used the formula s=ut+1/2at^2 (Vertical elements) to work out the time taken for the bomb to drop. Using s = 4000meters, a = 9.81 m/s. I got 28.56 seconds.

I then used V=u+at and got 0+(9.81x28.56) to give me 280.1736 m/s for the vertical motion.
Then using the formula (root(U^2+V^2)) to get the speed at impact. giving me 310.618 m/s. Is this right for Q2a?

b) Calculate the angle of impact with the ground?

I used the formula: Tan(Theta) = V/U to give me 280.1736/134.112 to give me an angle of 64.42 degrees. The above values being the vertical and horizontal speeds.

c) Calculate the kinetic energy of the bomb at the instant it strikes the ground?

I simply used the formula 1/2mv^2 using m=75KG and v= 310.618 m/s. This gave me 3618.13 Kilo Joules.

Am I along the right lines?
Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
paul9619 said:
Hi all. I am new to the forum. Mechanics is a totally new subject to me and I have a few questions to post over the next few weeks that i would like your feedback on, just to make sure I am along the right lines :)
Welcome to the Forums!
paul9619 said:
1) How is it possible to consider the vertical and horizontal motion of a projectile independently of each other?

I reckon its because the horizontal is constant and has no other force acting in its direction!
What about air resistance? Think perpendicular vectors.
paul9619 said:
2) A Plane of level flight at 300MPH and a height of 4KM drop's a 75KG bomb. Ignoring resistance calculate:

a)The speed of the bomb in meters/sec at the instant of impact

I firstly converted the 300 mph to m/s and got 134.112m/s.
I then used the formula s=ut+1/2at^2 (Vertical elements) to work out the time taken for the bomb to drop. Using s = 4000meters, a = 9.81 m/s. I got 28.56 seconds.

I then used V=u+at and got 0+(9.81x28.56) to give me 280.1736 m/s for the vertical motion.
Then using the formula (root(U^2+V^2)) to get the speed at impact. giving me 310.618 m/s. Is this right for Q2a?
Your method looks good to me, I'm not checking the math though! :wink:
paul9619 said:
b) Calculate the angle of impact with the ground?

I used the formula: Tan(Theta) = V/U to give me 280.1736/134.112 to give me an angle of 64.42 degrees. The above values being the vertical and horizontal speeds.
Again, your method looks good but I ain't checking your math.
paul9619 said:
c) Calculate the kinetic energy of the bomb at the instant it strikes the ground?

I simply used the formula 1/2mv^2 using m=75KG and v= 310.618 m/s. This gave me 3618.13 Kilo Joules.
Assuming your answer to (2a) is correct, this is also correct.

Hootenanny said:
What about air resistance? Think perpendicular vectors.

Cheers for the speedy response. The question actually says assume there is no air resistance.

How is it possible to consider the vertical and horizontal motion of a projectile independently of each other?

paul9619 said:
Cheers for the speedy response. The question actually says assume there is no air resistance.

How is it possible to consider the vertical and horizontal motion of a projectile independently of each other?
No problem. However, since perpendicular vectors (and hence forces and accelerations) are independent of each other this Independence would apply even if air resistance would acting.

Related to Projectile Motion Questions: Mechanics for Beginners

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and then continues to move under the influence of gravity alone. This type of motion can be seen in activities such as throwing a ball, shooting a cannon, or launching a rocket.

2. What are the key components of projectile motion?

The key components of projectile motion are the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the force of gravity. These factors determine the path and distance of the projectile's motion.

3. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag force, can affect projectile motion by slowing down the object's speed and changing its trajectory. This is because air resistance acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion and increases as the speed of the object increases.

4. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical motion in projectile motion?

In projectile motion, horizontal motion refers to the object's motion along the x-axis, while vertical motion refers to its motion along the y-axis. These components are independent of each other, meaning that the object's horizontal motion is not affected by its vertical motion and vice versa.

5. How is the trajectory of a projectile affected by the angle of launch?

The angle of launch determines the shape of the projectile's trajectory. A higher angle of launch will result in a longer flight time and a higher peak height, while a lower angle of launch will result in a shorter flight time and a lower peak height.