Rocket-Powered Hockey Puck: Kinematics Analysis

In summary, a rocket-powered hockey puck with a thrust of 1.20N and a total mass of 1.50kg was released from rest on a frictionless table, 3.20m from the edge of a 3.60m p. The acceleration of the puck in the x-direction was found to be 0.8m/s/s using Newton's Second Law. The time between when the puck falls off the table to when it hits the ground was calculated to be 0.857s due to the influence of gravity. The velocity of the puck when it leaves the table was found to be 8.4m/s in the y-direction, and using this value, the time it takes to reach
JeYo
A rocket-powered hockey puck has a thrust of 1.20N and a total mass of 1.50kg. It is released from rest on a frictionless table, 3.20m from the edge of a 3.60m p. The front of the rocket is pointed directly toward the edge.

I have found that the acceleration of the hockey puck in the x-direction is 0.8m/s/s because of the F_thrust/m_puck = a_x thing that was found in Newton's Second Law representation of the forces in the x-direction. I also found that the time between the moment when the puck falls off of the table to when it hits the ground, by virtue of the fact that the puck falls under the influence of gravity only, is 0.857s.

[tex]\Sigma[/tex](F_x) = F_thrust = m_puck * a_x
[tex]\Sigma[/tex](F_y) = n - w = m_puck * a_y

Now, with the picture and these things here, I have a little bit of trouble find the correct kinematics equations to put these pieces of information into a solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
Using v^2 = u^2 + 2as find the velocity with which the puck leaves the table. This velocity remains the in the horizontal direction. Vertical velocity of the puck increases as it falls under gravity. Find the time it takes to reach the ground. The product of this time and horizontal velocity gives the distance of point from the table where the puck hits the ground. By the way how did you get t = 0.857s?

What is u?

I do not think I have ever seen this formula. Could you explain exactly what the symbols represent, I mean except for a, which I assume to represent acceleration.

V is final velocity, u is initial velocity.

You have to first find the velocity right when the puck leaves the table. then the horizontal velocity will be constant and Vy will be subject to gravity(but will be initially 0 at the time of leaving the table).

What is s?

Nevermind.

So, the final velocity in the y-direction is 8.4m/s. Can anyone confirm this for me?

That is correct. (put these pieces of information into a solution.)But actually what is required in the problem?

To find the distance from the table that the puck lands after it falls off of the table.

You know the final velocity in the y-direction. Using this velue find the time it takes to reach the ground. Multifly this time with the velocity of the puck when it leaves the table. You can find it using v^2 = u^2 + 2as Here u = 0 , a = 0.8 and s = 3.2m

1. How does the rocket-powered hockey puck work?

The rocket-powered hockey puck works by using a small rocket engine attached to the back of the puck. When activated, the rocket engine propels the puck forward at high speeds, increasing its velocity and momentum.

2. How is the velocity of the puck affected by the rocket engine?

The velocity of the puck is greatly affected by the rocket engine. The force generated by the rocket engine accelerates the puck and increases its velocity, allowing it to travel faster and cover greater distances on the ice.

3. Does the weight of the puck affect its flight trajectory?

Yes, the weight of the puck does affect its flight trajectory. A heavier puck will have more momentum and may travel in a straighter line, while a lighter puck may be more easily affected by external forces such as air resistance or collisions with other objects.

4. How does the rocket-powered hockey puck compare to a traditional puck in terms of speed?

The rocket-powered hockey puck is significantly faster than a traditional puck. While a traditional puck may reach speeds of up to 100 miles per hour, a rocket-powered puck can reach speeds of over 200 miles per hour, making it much more difficult for goalies to defend against.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using a rocket-powered hockey puck?

Yes, there are safety concerns with using a rocket-powered hockey puck. The high speeds and increased force of the puck can potentially cause injury to players or damage to equipment. It is important for proper safety measures to be in place and for players to be trained in handling and using the rocket-powered puck safely.