Projectile Motion: Finding Initial Velocity

In summary, projectile motion is the curved path that an object takes when it is propelled by an external force. To calculate the initial velocity of a projectile, the equation v = u + at can be used, taking into account factors such as gravity and air resistance. The angle of projection, mass, and external force all affect the initial velocity of a projectile. Even if the angle of projection is unknown, the initial velocity can still be calculated using equations and trigonometry.
cookie76
Hello,

When trying to find initial velocity in Proyectile motion can I use the formula or Range: R=Vo^2 x sin angle / Gravity

The question is if the velocity I get through that equation will be the vector in X, Y or the resultant one?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, can you please help me with my question about the range,

thanks

Welcome to PF :smile:

Vo refers to the resultant velocity.

By the way, the range formula is not quite correct as written:
R=Vo^2 x sin angle / Gravity

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air as it is propelled by an external force. It follows a curved path due to the influence of gravity and air resistance.

2. How do you calculate the initial velocity of a projectile?

The initial velocity of a projectile can be calculated using the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time of flight.

3. What factors affect the initial velocity of a projectile?

The initial velocity of a projectile is affected by the angle of projection, the mass of the object, and the force of the external propulsion. Air resistance and wind can also affect the initial velocity.

4. How does the angle of projection affect the initial velocity of a projectile?

The angle of projection affects the initial velocity by determining the direction of the force applied to the object. An object projected at a higher angle will have a greater vertical component of velocity, while an object projected at a lower angle will have a greater horizontal component of velocity.

5. Can the initial velocity of a projectile be calculated if the angle of projection is unknown?

Yes, the initial velocity of a projectile can still be calculated if the angle of projection is unknown. This can be done by analyzing the horizontal and vertical components of the motion using the equations of motion and trigonometric functions.