1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion

1. Oct 10, 2004 #1
    I just started doing some problems and this basic pm problem is giving me a lot of trouble.

If a ball was throwen horizontally with 45.08 m/s, how far would the ball fall vertically by the time it reached home plate, 18.28m away?

The initial velocity is 45.08 m/s. Now that is the x and y velocity combined, correct? How do I go about finding the x and y velocity? If I don't need to do it for this particular problem could you explain how to do it anyway and how to solve the problem. I tried using arc-cos to find the initial angle then find the velocities from there but I don't think that's right.

Thanks for reading. :smile:
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2004 #2
    If it's thrown horizontally, the vertical component of its initial velocity is 0. Since there aren't any forces acting on the ball horizontally (ignoring air resistance), it travels at a constant velocity. You can then work out the time taken to travel 18.28 m (t = x/v). What you want to do is find out the distance the ball falls in this time. Use the equation s = ut + (1/2)at^2 (using a = g, u = 0 as explained above and t as the time you've calculated).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?