Projectile question -- ball rolling on a chair

In summary, the problem involves a ball rolling on a chair with a speed of 5.0 m/s on the X axis and hitting the ground at a distance of 0.25 m on the X axis. The goal is to find the Δy and speed on the Y axis, as well as the time. The equations used are αy = -g = -9.81 m/s², ϑfy = ay x t, ϑfy^2 = 2ay x Δy, and Δy = 1/2ay x t^2. The attempt at a solution involved trying to find the time first, but the equation used was incorrect. After correcting the equation and solving for time, the values for
AdoobII

Homework Statement

Hi all, in my grade 11 book there is a question, and the question is :- there is a ball rolling on a chair by a speed of 5.0 m/s on the X axis, the ball hit the ground on a distance of 0.25 m on the X axis, What is the Δy and what is the speed on Y axis

ϑx (speed on X axis) = 5.0 m/s

Δx = 0.25 m

Δy = ??

ϑy = ??

i think also i need the time, i tried to extract the time using the three equations that i will write them down.

t=??

Homework Equations

αy = -g = -9.81 m/s²

ϑfy = ay x t

ϑfy^2 = 2ay x Δy

Δy = 1/2ay x t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Since all equations require time except ϑfy^2, I tried to find time first because i think it's the core of this question even if the question didn't need it, this is my attempt :-

http://im77.gulfup.com/kllied.jpg << Huge image replaced with URL by Moderator >>

i don't know if the time (0.5 seconds) is correct or not, i need help please and i don't want the solution of the question i just need to know if the way i get the time is correct or not, and if it's not please help me getting the right way to solve this question, and thanks so much :approve:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Ado, and welcome to PF.
Big picture!
I see something going wrong at the top under "equations?"

##\Delta y = {1\over 2} g t^2 ## and ##v_y = gt## can not be combined to ##v_y = 2 g \Delta y## !
Always check the dimensions when you make a step

At best you get something like ##v_y^2 = 2 g \Delta y## which you will later on recognize as energy conservation when potential energy (from height) is converted to kinetic energy (from speed).

And it doesn't help you to find t because both y and vy are unknown.

And you do surprise me when you write (at the very top) ##v_x = 5 ## m/s, ##\Delta x= 0.25 ## m, and then still follow with ##t = ??##. Think again!

Finally, once you find your t = 0.5 s, don't you hear the alarm bells go off when you reconsider the 5 m/s and the 0.25 m ?

You are right that you need to find the time.
However the equation you are trying to use is wrong.
You have a speed on the left hand side and a speed squared on the right hand side.
The equation you have in mind is possibly
v_f^2=2ay but you forgot the square.
If you write correctly the time (and everything else) will simplify, as expected. These equations you are trying to combine are not independent.

Besides the equations for the y directions you have some for the x directions. Why not write these too? You know a lot about the x direction. Speed, distance.

Likes 1 person
Now, unless you made a typing error in rendering the exercise, the chair height that comes out gives the impression it's made for toy trains.

What would be a reasonable distance (given the 5 m/s) to get a reasonable chair height, of say, 0.5 m?

And the other way around: what would be a reasonable speed, given the 0.25 m distance traveled in x ?

BvU said:
And you do surprise me when you write (at the very top) ##v_x = 5 ## m/s, ##\Delta x= 0.25 ## m,

Thanks a lot, i really feel stupid now, i seriously feel stupid :< Lol

i really didn't though of x by speed because i though i will not use this simple equations anymore xD

anyway, i think every thing in physics is relative now, and thanks a lot, you saved my day :D

Actually, my physics teacher in school solved another question, it's somewhat relative but that question was about the projectiles with corners, he just replaced Vy with (ViSinθ) so i said why i don't just replace delta Y with 1/2gt^2, thanks a lot guys i really appreciate this fast help :)

BvU said:
Now, unless you made a typing error in rendering the exercise, the chair height that comes out gives the impression it's made for toy trains.

What would be a reasonable distance (given the 5 m/s) to get a reasonable chair height, of say, 0.5 m?

And the other way around: what would be a reasonable speed, given the 0.25 m distance traveled in x ?

the distance is the distance between the chair base and the ball landing area, i can take a picture of the question but it's in arabic :/, and i tried to translate it with my best english knowledge, maybe i missed some words but i think the numbers are right :3

the speed of the ball on the X axis is :- 5 m/s

the ball passed 0.25 m on the X axis

the chair height is delta Y

Edit:- i will solve this question and i will take picture of it and upload it to see if my answer is correct or not

I got a very weird answer.

t = distance\speed = 0.25\5 = 0.05 seconds

Δy = 1\2 g t^2 = 1\2(-9.81)x(0.05)^2 = 0.012m (the answer in the calculator is -0.012m but the distance isn't targeted variable)

V_fy = gt = (-9.81)x0.05 = -0.4905 m\s

it's very weird because the speed on X axis is 5 m\s and the answer isn't reasonable as you said :/.

Related to Projectile question -- ball rolling on a chair

1. What is a projectile?

A projectile is any object that is thrown, shot, or launched with an initial velocity and then moves through the air due to the force of gravity acting on it.

2. How does a ball rolling on a chair demonstrate projectile motion?

When a ball is rolled on a chair, it has an initial velocity and then moves in a curved path due to the force of gravity acting on it. This curved path is known as a parabola, which is the same path that a projectile follows.

3. How does the height of the chair affect the projectile motion of the ball?

The height of the chair affects the initial velocity and angle at which the ball is rolled, which in turn affects the trajectory and range of the ball's motion. A higher chair will result in a longer range and a lower chair will result in a shorter range.

4. What factors can affect the projectile motion of the ball rolling on a chair?

The factors that can affect the projectile motion of the ball include the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the height and surface of the chair. These factors can impact the trajectory, range, and speed of the ball's motion.

5. How is the motion of the ball on the chair different from a traditional projectile motion experiment?

The motion of the ball on the chair differs from a traditional projectile motion experiment in that the ball is not launched from a fixed point with a specific angle. Instead, the ball is rolled from a variable height and angle, making the trajectory and range more unpredictable.