Projectile Motion: Minimum Speed for Clearing an Edge

In summary: I am trying to reverse engineer my workings but I can't find the error that I did.x = (vi)(cos35)(1.5) = 3.1my = (vi)(sin35)(1.5) - 4.9(1.5)^2 = 1.6mx = vi cos35(1.5) = 3.1y = vi sin35(1.5) - 4.9(1.5)^2 = 1.6I don't see
negation

Homework Statement

A construction worker stands in a 2.6m deep hole, 3.1m from the edge of the hole. He tosses the hammer to a person outside the hole. If the hammer leaves his hand 1m above the bottom of the hole at an angle of 35, what is the minimum speed needed to clear the edge.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Capture.JPG

Why does the book states the answer = 11m/s?

This is really frustrating!
I am getting 7.8...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a sketch of the problem. This may help you setting up the equations of motion. You should be able to determine the book's solution.

BTW, you can't arbitrarily ignore the negative sign under the square root.

35° relative to the horizontal?
Where does your formula come from? It gives a wrong result.

@SteamKing: the sign is fine, the subtraction in the denominator cancels it.

SteamKing said:
Draw a sketch of the problem. This may help you setting up the equations of motion. You should be able to determine the book's solution.

BTW, you can't arbitrarily ignore the negative sign under the square root.

The book has given the sketch.

In fact, the book has given the equation(in symbolic expression) and stated the answer is 11m/s but upon substituting the x and y coordinatate of 3.1m and 1.6m respectively, I don't arrive at 11m/s.
The book has given a sketch too.

mfb said:

@steamking: The sign is fine, the subtraction in the denominator cancels it.

Capture.JPG

mfb said:

It comes from t = x/vi cos theta

y = vi sin theta . t - 0.5g t^2

sub t into y-coordinate to get y as a function of x-coordinate.
Once the equation is derived, sub x= 3.1 and y = 1.6
but it doesn't give me 11m/s if I express it in terms of vi

I can confirm the book's answer. You did something wrong at solving the equation for the velocity.

mfb said:

I suggest you check your calculations again.

(3.1 tan 35) - 1.6 > 0

Oh sorry, for some reason I squared the tan instead of the cos.

SteamKing said:
I suggest you check your calculations again.

(3.1 tan 35) - 1.6 > 0

Still not getting the answer.

I basically run the calculation of the workings in my OP but it doesn't turn up to be 11m/s

The approach of post #6 is right, the formula in post #1 is not. If you need help to find your error, show the steps you made in between.

mfb said:
The approach of post #6 is right, the formula in post #1 is not. If you need help to find your error, show the steps you made in between.

Post 1 is nothing more than a mathematical expression of post 6.

I'm sure post 1 is right. I think the issue might be that on my calculator I did (2cos35)^2 instead of 2cos(35)^2

I'm getting 10.036m/s

x = vcos(theta).t
y = vsin(theta).t - 0.5gt^2

t = x/(vcos(theta))

y = vsin(theta)[(x)/vcos(theta)] - 0.5g[(x)/vcos(theta)]^2

y = xtan(theta) - [(g)/(2v^2 (cos(35)^2))

v = SQRT[(gx^2)/(2cos(theta)^2(xtan(theta)-y))

Sub x = 3.1 and y = 1.6
g = -9.8

It's giving me 10m/s and not 11m/s

You are using the wrong sign for g. Use a negative sign in the equation for y=... or for g itself, but not both, otherwise you are accelerating upwards.

That cannot be the only error (check -> 12.5), but I don't see the error right now.

mfb said:
You are using the wrong sign for g. Use a negative sign in the equation for y=... or for g itself, but not both, otherwise you are accelerating upwards.

That cannot be the only error (check -> 12.5), but I don't see the error right now.

I don't see any other error aside from the negative g that I use. And why shouldn't g be negative? It has always been negative according to convention

mfb said:

Besides, you're not getting 11m/s too. The link from you shows wolfram getting 12m/s+

mfb said:

Check the jpg in my op. -9.8 in the working indicates a negative g.

I have found v to be 11m/s.

To find where the hammer lands:

Capture.JPG

This is a very juvenile question to ask but is the a, b and c values correct?
Solving via quadratic, I'm not getting x= 3.1 or x = 8.7.
It's a very simple problem but this question is taking me more than 1 day to solve!

negation said:
I don't see any other error aside from the negative g that I use. And why shouldn't g be negative? It has always been negative according to convention
Okay, but if g is negative (so y is pointing upwards), the equation of motion is ##y=v_y t + \frac{1}{2} g t^2## and not minus.

Besides, you're not getting 11m/s too. The link from you shows wolfram getting 12m/s+
That's why I said "this cannot be the only error". Check the WolframAlpha link in post 7, 11m/s is right.

What do you get for x with the reverse attempt? Keep in mind that 11m/s is not the exact value.

mfb said:
Okay, but if g is negative (so y is pointing upwards), the equation of motion is ##y=v_y t + \frac{1}{2} g t^2## and not minus.

That's why I said "this cannot be the only error". Check the WolframAlpha link in post 7, 11m/s is right.

What do you get for x with the reverse attempt? Keep in mind that 11m/s is not the exact value.

I have gotten 11m/s

mfb said:

Capture.JPG

I have found v to be 11m/s.

To find where the hammer lands:

This is a very juvenile question to ask but is the a, b and c values correct?
Solving via quadratic, I'm not getting x= 3.1 or x = 8.7 but these 2 values are what the book states.

1. What is a projectile trajectory?

A projectile trajectory is the path that a projectile takes through the air as it moves towards its target. This path is determined by the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the effects of gravity.

2. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile is affected by its initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the force of gravity. Other factors such as wind and air density can also play a role.

3. How do you calculate the trajectory of a projectile?

To calculate the trajectory of a projectile, you will need to know its initial velocity, angle of launch, and the acceleration due to gravity. Using these values, you can use mathematical equations to calculate the horizontal and vertical components of the projectile's motion and determine its trajectory.

4. What is the difference between a parabolic and non-parabolic trajectory?

A parabolic trajectory is the classic curved path that a projectile follows when only affected by gravity. A non-parabolic trajectory is a more complex path that takes into account other factors such as air resistance and wind. Non-parabolic trajectories can also be curved, but they are not perfect parabolas like in the case of pure projectile motion.

5. How does the angle of launch affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The angle of launch has a significant impact on the trajectory of a projectile. The optimal angle of launch for maximum distance is 45 degrees, but this can vary depending on the initial velocity and other factors. A higher angle of launch will result in a shorter horizontal distance, while a lower angle will result in a longer horizontal distance but a shorter vertical height.