Projectiles launched at an angle

In summary, the minimum speed of the baseball when it left the bat was 32.4 m/s, assuming the ball was hit 1 m above the ground and its initial path made a 38 degree angle with the ground. This was found by using the equation y=vsin(38)-(1/2)g(95/vcos(38))^2 and solving for v.
aly1201

Homework Statement

A baseball is hit over a 7.5-m-high fence 95 m from the home plate. What was the minimum speed of the ball when it left the bat? Assume the ball was hit 1 m above the ground and its path initially made a 38 degree angle with the ground.

Homework Equations

y=v(initial, y direction)t-1/2at^2 x=v(initial, x direction)t

The Attempt at a Solution

t=95/v 95/v(cos38) ? plug 95/v(cos38) into the y equation? and substitute v(sin38) for initial y velocity? This is where I get lost; our teacher wrote all the work on the board very quickly and came up with an answer somehow, but when I did the work I didnt even come close.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the following (correct) equation for the height of the ball right when it gets to the fence:

[tex]y=v\sin(38^o)-\frac{1}{2}g\left(\frac{95}{v\cos(38^o)}\right)^2[/tex]

Now how high do you want the ball to be so that it just barely the fence? Plug that in for y and when you solve for v, you'll get the minimum speed.

Ok but I don't understand how to get v by itself, with the cos38 and sin38 there. And in the equation you wrote is "t" supposed to be in there at all?

There is a t missing in the vsin(38) term in that equation. G01 has substituted for t since you can express it in terms of the horizontal distance and horizontal velocity. As already pointed out, you can figure out what y should be from the information given in the problem. So the equation should look like this:

[tex]y=v\sin(38^o)\left(\frac{95}{vcos(38^o)}\right)-\frac{1}{2}g\left(\frac{95}{v\cos(38^o)}\right)^2[/tex]

Now it is just algebra. To isolate v, start by getting the term containing v on its own on one side of the equation (note the v's cancel in the first term!)

Ok so [95/v(cos38)]^2=[6.5-(tan38)(95)]/-4.9? because sinX/cosX=tanX

Looks good so far. What would you do next?

I solved the right side and got 13.8, which i took the square root of (since the left side was squared) and got 3.7. Then I divided that by 95 and got 25.6. So now v(cos38)=25.6? If it does then I could just say 25.6/cos38=v, so 25.6/.79=32.4?
I might've rounded too much so it might not be exact, and I am not sure if you can have cosX or sinX by itself?

That answer looks OK to me.

It was thank you! I appreciate the help!

Related to Projectiles launched at an angle

1. How does the angle of launch affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The angle of launch determines the initial direction of the projectile's motion. A higher angle will result in a longer flight time and a higher peak height, while a lower angle will result in a shorter flight time and a lower peak height.

2. What is the maximum distance a projectile can travel when launched at an angle?

The maximum distance a projectile can travel is achieved when the angle of launch is 45 degrees. This angle maximizes the horizontal distance traveled while still providing enough vertical height to ensure the projectile lands at a similar height to where it was launched.

3. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a projectile launched at an angle?

Air resistance, or drag, can significantly affect the trajectory of a projectile launched at an angle. It can cause the projectile to slow down and deviate from its expected path, resulting in a shorter flight distance and a lower peak height.

4. How does the mass of a projectile affect its trajectory when launched at an angle?

The mass of a projectile has no effect on its trajectory when launched at an angle. As long as the angle, initial velocity, and air resistance remain constant, the trajectory will be the same regardless of the projectile's mass.

5. Can a projectile launched at an angle ever reach its launch point again?

Yes, a projectile launched at an angle can reach its launch point again if the angle of launch is equal to 90 degrees. This is known as the maximum height angle, and it results in the projectile following a parabolic path and returning to its launch point.