Projection of the co-derivative = co-derivative of the projection ?

• Thread starter plasticfloor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projection
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the equality between the covariant derivative and regular derivative on a Riemannian sub-manifold, as well as the concept of dimensions in vector spaces. The person asking the question is unsure why this proof is not immediately apparent from definitions. The expert summarizer notes that the regular derivative is already the covariant derivative on a manifold, so the projection step is unnecessary. They also clarify that vectors in three dimensions are represented as a combination of unit vectors, and that dimensions can extend beyond three.
plasticfloor
Hey,

here is the formal question.

M is a riemannian sub-manifold in N. a,b are vector fields such that for each p[tex]\in[/tex]M, ap,bp [tex]\in[/tex] TpM [tex]\subset[/tex] TpN

prove

[tex]\nabla[/tex]Mba = pr([tex]\nabla[/tex]Nba)

where pr is the projection funtion pr:TpN[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]TpM
and [tex]\nabla[/tex]N and [tex]\nabla[/tex]M are the covariant derivative operators (by riemannian connection) in N and M respectively.

I don't really understand why is this not immediate from definitions. the covariant derivative is taking a regular derivative and then projecting onto the tangent bundle. in a manifold the tangent bundle is just the manifold itself so the regular derivate is already the covariant derivative because the projection part is just identity. thus when I will project this vector on TpM ofcourse I wil get the covariant derivative on M because it's the projection onto Tp[\SUB]M of the regular derivative of vector fields on M.

is what I'm asked to prove actually just that the covariant derivative equal to the regular derivative when the vector fields in question belong to a sub manifold?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
please tell me what is meaning of dimension i knew only three dimension what about four ,five..... ialso want to know that any point in the three dimension is a vector than why we writing vector as a special case suppose u(2,3,5) is any point in the three dimension than why we writing it as a u=2i+3j+5K please reply me via email indetai

Related to Projection of the co-derivative = co-derivative of the projection ?

1. What is projection of the co-derivative?

The projection of the co-derivative is a mathematical operation that involves taking the co-derivative of a function and then projecting it onto a lower-dimensional space. This is often used in vector calculus and differential geometry to simplify calculations and solve problems.

2. How is the projection of the co-derivative calculated?

The projection of the co-derivative is calculated by first taking the co-derivative of a given function, which involves taking the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable. Then, this co-derivative is projected onto a lower-dimensional space by setting some of the variables to constant values.

3. What is the relationship between the projection of the co-derivative and the co-derivative of the projection?

The projection of the co-derivative and the co-derivative of the projection are essentially inverse operations of each other. This means that if you first project the co-derivative of a function onto a lower-dimensional space and then take the co-derivative of that projection, you will end up with the original function.

4. How is the projection of the co-derivative used in real-world applications?

The projection of the co-derivative has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It is commonly used in optimization problems, curve fitting, and solving differential equations. It also has applications in data analysis and machine learning.

5. Are there any limitations to using the projection of the co-derivative?

One limitation of using the projection of the co-derivative is that it only works for functions that are defined on a vector space. Additionally, the projection may not always produce a unique solution, and it may be difficult to find the optimal projection in some cases. Furthermore, it may not always be possible to take the co-derivative of a given function, which would make using the projection method impossible.