1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof about continuous function related to balls and sets

1. Aug 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [tex] \displaystyle f:{{\mathbb{R}}^{n}}\to \mathbb{R}[/tex] a continuous function. Proove that:

If [tex] \displaystyle f\left( p \right)>0[/tex] then there's a ball [tex] \displaystyle {{B}_{p}}[/tex] centered at p such that [tex] \displaystyle \forall x\in {{B}_{p}}[/tex] we have [tex] \displaystyle f\left( x \right)>0[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

f is continuous, that is:

[tex] \displaystyle \forall \varepsilon >0[/tex] [tex] \displaystyle \exists \delta >0[/tex] such that [tex] \displaystyle f\left( B\left( p,\delta \right) \right)\subset B\left( f\left( p \right),\varepsilon \right)[/tex].

Let f(p)>0, then I cannot conclude anthing with the above hypothesis. What's missing?

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Let's talk for a moment about a continuous f(x) on the real line. If f(p) > 0 do you see how to find an interval about p where f(x) > 0? What happens if ##\epsilon = \frac {f(p)}{2}##?

4. Aug 25, 2012 #3
    I don't understand why you ask that and why you say that at the end. Is there seomthing wrong with my attempt?

Thank you!

5. Aug 25, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

He is making a specific choice for [itex]\epsilon[/itex]. While there are many possible, f(p)/2 is one choice that will help here. Do you see why?

6. Aug 25, 2012 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Because I am trying to help you see how to work your problem by working a simpler one. How about addressing my questions? You might learn something in the process.

7. Aug 25, 2012 #6
    Hmm.. alright. Answering your question I honestly don't remember exactly how to find an interval about p where f(x) > 0. Could you please remind me?

Thank you both!

8. Aug 25, 2012 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If ##\epsilon = \frac {f(p)}{2}##, write out carefully what the ##\delta,\epsilon## definition of continuity of ##f## at ##p## tells you.

9. Aug 25, 2012 #8
    Yes. It would be:

[tex] \displaystyle \forall \varepsilon >0[/tex] [tex] \displaystyle \exists \delta >0[/tex] such that if: [tex] \displaystyle |x-p|<\delta [/tex] then [tex] \displaystyle |f\left( x \right)-f\left( p \right)|<\frac{f\left( p \right)}{2}[/tex].

But what is this for? Just setting [tex] \displaystyle \varepsilon =\frac{f\left( p \right)}{2}[/tex] it's not enough to find an interval about p such that f(x)>0. It also depends on delta... doesn't it?

Thank you

10. Aug 25, 2012 #9
    Ahhh I see it now!. If you choose that epsilon you get forced to choose a delta such that the interval about p of radious delta has positive image. Is it right?

11. Aug 25, 2012 #10

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In particular for ##\epsilon = \frac{f(p)}{2}##

So you have a ##\delta## that works for this value of ##\epsilon##. And doesn't ##|x-p|<\delta## describe an interval about ##p## that goes from ##p-\delta## to ##p+\delta##?
    What does that last inequality tell you about ##f(x)##? Unscramble it without the absolute value signs.

12. Aug 25, 2012 #11
    Yeah, now I get it. It implies that:

[tex] \displaystyle \frac{f\left( p \right)}{2}<f\left( x \right)<\frac{3}{2}f\left( p \right)[/tex]

That is: f(x)>0 . So the interval about p exists and it's the one of radious delta for that epsilon. Now it's almost the same but for balls, isn't it?

Thank you very much!!

Edit. I think the definition of continuity I used in my attempt is not useful in this demonstration. I think I should use the equivalent definition with distances, shouln't I?

13. Aug 25, 2012 #12

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, it's almost the same proof. It is frequently a good idea, when trying to prove something for ##R^n## to make sure you understand it first for ##R^1## or ##R^2##.

You're welcome.

14. Aug 25, 2012 #13
    Yeah, I think the problem was that we were given three equivalent definitions and in my attempt I used the definition of continuityn (for several variables) involving balls but I think in this case I should have used the definition involving distances or norm, those are closer to the one for one variable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook