Is f(x) an Injective Function? Understanding Proof and Notation

In summary: I meant that the OP has now a working proof (not the one he wrote down originally):If ##x \in f^{-1}(f(E))##, then ##f(x) \in f(E)##, so there is ##e\in E## with ##f(x) = f(e)##. By injectivity, ##x=e\in E##. This shows ##f^{-1}(f(E)) \subseteq E##, the other inclusion is... well, obvious.
CaptainAmerica17
TL;DR Summary
I need help checking my proofs as I self-study math.
Egad 19.PNG

I typed this up in Overleaf using MathJax. I'm self-studying so I just want to make sure I'm understanding each concept. For clarification, the notation f^{-1}(x) is referring to the inverse image of the function. I think everything else is pretty straight-forward from how I've written it. Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You must show that ##x_1 \in f^{-1}(f(E)) \iff x_1 \in E##. No need to introduce ##x_2##. I see why you did that: to get to the definition of injectivity, but it is confusing.

Notice first that one inclusion always holds, without injectivity. Indeed, ##f^{-1}(f(E))## is the set of all elements in ##A## that get mapped to ##f(E)##. Clearly ##E## is contained in this set, so we always have (even without injectivity) ##E \subseteq f^{-1}(f(E))##.

For the converse, the injectivity will be crucial.

If ##x \in f^{-1}(f(E))##, then you know that ##f(x) \in f(E)##. How can you proceed and use the injectivity?

Your proof doesn't make much sense to me. When are two sets equal?

Math_QED said:
You must show that ##x_1 \in f^{-1}(f(E)) \iff x_1 \in E##. No need to introduce ##x_2##. I see why you did that: to get to the definition of injectivity, but it is confusing.

Notice first that one inclusion always holds, without injectivity. Indeed, ##f^{-1}(f(E))## is the set of all elements in ##A## that get mapped to ##f(E)##. Clearly ##E## is contained in this set, so we always have (even without injectivity) ##E \subseteq f^{-1}(f(E))##.

For the converse, the injectivity will be crucial.

If ##x \in f^{-1}(f(E))##, then you know that ##f(x) \in f(E)##. How can you proceed and use the injectivity?
Thank you for the reply! I always forget that to show equality after I have to clearly show that each set is a subset of the other :/
The only next step I can think of is that if f(x) is in f(E), then x is in E, right?

CaptainAmerica17 said:
The only next step I can think of is that if f(x) is in f(E), then x is in E, right?

Why? Is this true without injectivity?

Math_QED said:
Why? Is this true without injectivity?
Well if the function is injective then we know that x maps to at most one y = f(x). So I don't think this could be true without inectivity.

CaptainAmerica17 said:
Well if the function is injective then we know that x maps to at most one y = f(x). So I don't think this could be true without inectivity.

You get the idea, but at this point it is important to write down everything in huge detail!

What is the definition of ##f(E)##? Thus what does ##x \in f(E)## mean?

The definition of f(E) is {f(x) : x is in E}.

CaptainAmerica17 said:
The definition of f(E) is {f(x) : x is in E}.

Okay, now answer the second question. What does ##x\in f(E)## mean?

For x to be an element of f(E) it would have to be equal to some f(x) in f(E), right? Just based on the definition. I'm sorry if I'm being slow.

CaptainAmerica17 said:
For x to be an element of f(E) it would have to be equal to some f(x) in f(E), right? Just based on the definition. I'm sorry if I'm being slow.

Yes, so we left of at ##f(x)\in f(E)##, so there is an ##e\in E## (do not call this new variable ##x##, this name is already used!) with ##f(x)=f(e)##.

Can you conclude?

Math_QED said:
Yes, so we left of at ##f(x)\in f(E)##, so there is an ##e\in E## (do not call this new variable ##x##, this name is already used!) with ##f(x)=f(e)##.

Can you conclude?
Well if f(x) = f(e) then x = e.

CaptainAmerica17 said:
Well if f(x) = f(e) then x = e.

Yes, so is ##x \in E## true?

Yes!

CaptainAmerica17 said:
Yes!

Congrats, now your proof works!

Math_QED said:
Wow, I really overcomplicated things XD

CaptainAmerica17 said:

Well, let's check if you learned from it! Show the following statement (if you want to/have the time):

If ##f## is surjective, then ##f(f^{-1}(E))=E##.

Math_QED said:
Are you sure?

PeroK said:
Are you sure?

I meant that the OP has now a working proof (not the one he wrote down originally):

If ##x \in f^{-1}(f(E))##, then ##f(x) \in f(E)##, so there is ##e\in E## with ##f(x) = f(e)##. By injectivity, ##x=e\in E##. This shows ##f^{-1}(f(E)) \subseteq E##, the other inclusion is trivial.

CaptainAmerica17 said:

An alternative method is to show

1) first that for any set ##E## and any function ##f## we have ##E \subseteq f^{-1}(f(E))##

2) If ##E \subset f^{-1}(f(E))##, then ##f## is not one-to-one.

Likes member 587159
PeroK said:
An alternative method is to show

1) first that for any set ##E## and any function ##f## we have ##E \subseteq f^{-1}(f(E))##

2) If ##E \subset f^{-1}(f(E))##, then ##f## is not one-to-one.

I prefer the notation ##\subsetneq## instead of ##\subset##, but yes, that is a good approach too.

Math_QED said:
I meant that the OP has now a working proof (not the one he wrote down originally):

If ##x \in f^{-1}(f(E))##, then ##f(x) \in f(E)##, so there is ##e\in E## with ##f(x) = f(e)##. By injectivity, ##x=e\in E##. This shows ##f^{-1}(f(E)) \subseteq E##, the other inclusion is trivial.

I wasn't disputing that you had a proof! :wink:

Math_QED said:
Well, let's check if you learned from it! Show the following statement (if you want to/have the time):

If ##f## is surjective, then ##f(f^{-1}(E))=E##.
E is a subset of A or B?

CaptainAmerica17 said:
E is a subset of A or B?

Of ##B##, or ##f^{-1}(E)## wouldn't make sense.

Math_QED said:
Of ##B##, or ##f^{-1}(E)## wouldn't make sense.
Ah, ok. I was drawing out a picture and it wasn't making sense.

ok, I've thought about it about. The goal of this proof should be to show that ##y \in f(f^{-1}(E) \iff y \in E##

So to start with ##y \in f(f^{-1}(E)##. ##y = f(x)## for some ##x \in f^{-1}(E)##

Or maybe since it is surjective, it is best to start with ##y \in E## so that we can show that there's at least one x in ##f^{-1}(E)##, such that ##f(x) = y##.

Last edited:
CaptainAmerica17 said:
ok, I've thought about it about. The goal of this proof should be to show that ##y \in f(f^{-1}(E) \iff y \in E##

So to start with ##y \in f(f^{-1}(E)##. ##y = f(x)## for some ##x \in f^{-1}(E)##

Or maybe since it is surjective, it is best to start with ##y \in E## so that we can show that there's at least one x in ##f^{-1}(E)##, such that ##f(x) = y##.

I'd still like to see a proof of the original problem! These are tricky, I think. Again, I recommend the following:

1) Show that we always have ##f(f^{-1}(E)) \subseteq E##.

2) Show that if ##f## is surjective then ##E \subseteq f(f^{-1}(E)) ##.

In other words:

1) ##f^{-1}(E)## are all the points that map into ##E##. If you map them, they all end up in E.

2) If ##f## is surfective, then all the points in ##E## get mapped to by something and that something must be in ##f^{-1}(E)##. Hence all the points in ##E## are in ##f(f^{-1}(E))##.

PS one way to define equality of set is:
$$ A = B \ \text{iff} \ (A \subseteq B \ \text{and} \ B \subseteq A)$$

CaptainAmerica17 said:

PeroK said:
I'd still like to see a proof of the original problem! These are tricky, I think. Again, I recommend the following:

In other words:

1) ##f^{-1}(E)## are all the points that map into ##E##. If you map them, they all end up in E.

2) If ##f## is surfective, then all the points in ##E## get mapped to by something and that something must be in ##f^{-1}(E)##. Hence all the points in ##E## are in ##f(f^{-1}(E))##.

Thank you for this. It took a while to reply because I had to get caught up on some school work.
Here's what I worked out:
If ##y \in E##, then ##y = f(x)## for some ##x \in f^{-1}(E)##. Clearly, ##f^{-1}(E)## is the set of all points that map into ##E##, so ##f(f^{-1}(E))## will give us all ##y## such that ##y=f(x)## for all ##x \in f^{-1}(E)##. That is all ##y## such that ##y \in E##. Thus, ##f(f^{-1}(E)) \subseteq E##.

If ##y \in f(f^{-1}(E))##, then ##y = f(x)## for some ##x \in f^{-1}(E)##. By surjectivity, ##x \in f^{-1}(E)## maps to some ##y \in E## such that ##y=f(x)##. Thus, ##f(f^{-1}(E)) \subseteq E##.

CaptainAmerica17 said:
Thank you for this. It took a while to reply because I had to get caught up on some school work.
If ##y \in E##, then ##y = f(x)## for some ##x \in f^{-1}(E)##.

Why?

CaptainAmerica17 said:
Clearly, ##f^{-1}(E)## is the set of all points that map into ##E##, so ##f(f^{-1}(E))## will give us all ##y## such that ##y=f(x)## for all ##x \in f^{-1}(E)##. That is all ##y## such that ##y \in E##. Thus, ##f(f^{-1}(E)) \subseteq E##.

I can't follow this at all.

CaptainAmerica17 said:
If ##y \in f(f^{-1}(E))##, then ##y = f(x)## for some ##x \in f^{-1}(E)##. By surjectivity, ##x \in f^{-1}(E)## maps to some ##y \in E## such that ##y=f(x)##. Thus, ##f(f^{-1}(E)) \subseteq E##.

This is not right. Surjectivity means given ##y \in E##, there exists ##x \in A## such that ##f(x) = y##.

CaptainAmerica17 said:

PeroK said:

In other words:

If ##y \in f(f^{-1}(E))##, then ##y = f(x)## for some ##x \in f^{-1}(E)##. So if you have ##x \in f(f^{-1}(E))##, you have
it will clearly map back to the set ##E##. So we have ##f(f^{-1}(E)) \subseteq E##
PeroK said:
Why?
I can't follow this at all.
This is not right. Surjectivity means given ##y \in E##, there exists ##x \in A## such that ##f(x) = y##.
Ok, so I was correct in my original thinking. To properly show surjection, I have to start that part of the proof with ##y \in E##.

For the first issue you found, it seems to me that it clearly follows from the definition of inverse images. I'm not properly communicating it I guess :/ I'll go simpler.

If ##y \in f(f^{-1}(E))## then there is some ##x \in f^{-1}(E)## such that ##y = f(x)##. From this ##x \in f^{-1}(E)## implies that ##f(x) \in E## such that ##y = f(x) \in E##.

If ##y \in E##, by surjection there is some ##x \in f^{-1}(E)## such that ##y = f(x)##. So by definition, ##x =f(x) \in f(f^{-1}(E))##.

CaptainAmerica17 said:
If ##y \in f(f^{-1}(E))## then there is some ##x \in f^{-1}(E)## such that ##y = f(x)##. From this ##x \in f^{-1}(E)## implies that ##f(x) \in E## such that ##y = f(x) \in E##.

If ##y \in E##, by surjection there is some ##x \in f^{-1}(E)## such that ##y = f(x)##. So by definition, ##x =f(x) \in f(f^{-1}(E))##.

This looks good. However, you ought to structure it a bit better. Especially the second part you need to say up front you assume ##f## is surjective.

Let ##y \in E##. Assume that ##f## is surjective. There is some ##x \in f^{-1}(E)## such that ##y = f(x)##. So by definition, ##x =f(x) \in f(f^{-1}(E))##.

At least I finally got something understandable. I didn't have nearly as much trouble proving things about inverse images themselves (i.e. ##f^{-1}(G \cup H) = f^{-1}(G) \cup f^{-1}(H)##). This forced me to more properly understand what is actually being said by "injection" and "surjection".

As an aside, if you don't mind answering: I'm starting my first semester of college in the fall (for math, of course). This is one of the reasons, besides my own interest, that I've started working on proof-writing and real analysis on my own time. Would a proof like the one I've written above be passable in an actual course? Or do you think it would be docked credit for not being so well-written? The school I'm attending focuses a lot on research, and I would love to be prepared enough to get involved (even in a minimal capacity). I've been kind of nervous recently thinking about it.

Last edited:
CaptainAmerica17 said:
Superheroes tend to do that ;).

• Haha
Likes member 587159
WWGD said:
Superheroes tend to do that ;).

I think you are the second one to make a superhero joke with this user :P

Math_QED said:
I think you are the second one to make a superhero joke with this user :P
Us non-superheroes tend to do that ;). Thanks for the setup.

Likes member 587159
<h2>1. What is an injective function?</h2><p>An injective function is a function in which each element in the domain maps to a unique element in the range. This means that for every input, there is only one possible output.</p><h2>2. How do you prove that a function is injective?</h2><p>To prove that a function is injective, you must show that for any two distinct inputs in the domain, the corresponding outputs in the range are also distinct. This can be done through various methods such as algebraic manipulation, using the definition of injectivity, or using a proof by contradiction.</p><h2>3. What does the notation f(x) mean?</h2><p>The notation f(x) represents a function, where x is the input or independent variable and f(x) is the output or dependent variable. It is read as "f of x" or "f at x". The function f maps the input x to the output f(x).</p><h2>4. Can a function be both injective and surjective?</h2><p>Yes, a function can be both injective and surjective. A function that is both injective and surjective is called a bijective function. This means that every element in the domain has a unique corresponding element in the range, and every element in the range has at least one corresponding element in the domain.</p><h2>5. How is injectivity represented mathematically?</h2><p>Injectivity is represented mathematically using the notation f(x) = f(y) implies x = y. This means that if two inputs in the domain have the same output in the range, then the inputs must be equal. In other words, each output in the range is associated with only one input in the domain.</p>

1. What is an injective function?

An injective function is a function in which each element in the domain maps to a unique element in the range. This means that for every input, there is only one possible output.

2. How do you prove that a function is injective?

To prove that a function is injective, you must show that for any two distinct inputs in the domain, the corresponding outputs in the range are also distinct. This can be done through various methods such as algebraic manipulation, using the definition of injectivity, or using a proof by contradiction.

3. What does the notation f(x) mean?

The notation f(x) represents a function, where x is the input or independent variable and f(x) is the output or dependent variable. It is read as "f of x" or "f at x". The function f maps the input x to the output f(x).

4. Can a function be both injective and surjective?

Yes, a function can be both injective and surjective. A function that is both injective and surjective is called a bijective function. This means that every element in the domain has a unique corresponding element in the range, and every element in the range has at least one corresponding element in the domain.

5. How is injectivity represented mathematically?

Injectivity is represented mathematically using the notation f(x) = f(y) implies x = y. This means that if two inputs in the domain have the same output in the range, then the inputs must be equal. In other words, each output in the range is associated with only one input in the domain.