Proof about [itex] \phi (n) [/itex] being a power of 2.

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that \phi(n) is a power of 2 if and only if n=(2^x)p_1...p_k where the p_i are distinct Fermat primes and x is a positive integer. It is shown that if n is written in this form, \phi(n) will be a power of 2. However, the other direction of showing that this is the only n where \phi(n) is a power of 2 is still to be proven. The conversation also considers the possibility of a non-Fermat prime being a factor of n and concludes that it cannot be a power of 2 unless it is 2 itself.
cragar

Homework Statement

Prove: [itex] \phi (n) [/itex] is a power of 2 if and only if
[itex] n=(2^x)p_1...p_k [/itex]
where the [itex] p_i [/itex] are distinct Fermat primes. And it doesn't say but I am pretty sure x
is a positive integer. and [itex] \phi [/itex] is Eulers phi function.

The Attempt at a Solution

we know that phi is a multiplicative function when the gcd(q,w)=1
so [itex] \phi (n)= \phi (2^x) \phi (p_1)...\phi (p_k) [/itex]
and [itex] \phi (2^x) = 2^x-2^{x-1}=2^{x-1}(2-1) [/itex] so that is a power of 2.
And each Fermat prime will be [itex] \phi (p_i)=2^{2^s}+1-1 [/itex] so each Fermat prime will be a power of 2 when phi is applied to it. So I guess I have showed that if n is written as it is then
phi (n) will be a power of 2, but I haven't shown the other direction that this is the only n where phi (n) is a power of 2. Maybe I could try a proof by contradiction.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know that you can always write [itex] \phi(n)[/itex] as a product of [itex]\phi(p_i)[/itex] - what if pi is NOT a Fermat prime? Do you still get a power of 2?

ok that's a good point. and we know that if [itex] 2^t+1 [/itex] is prime then t is a power of 2.
and we also couldn't have a power of a fermat prime as a factor of n because
[itex] \phi (p^u)=p^u-p^{u-1}=p^{u-1}(p-1) [/itex] and [itex] p^{u-1} [/itex] is not a power of 2 unless p is 2.

1. What is the definition of [itex] \phi (n) [/itex] being a power of 2?

[itex] \phi (n) [/itex] being a power of 2 means that [itex] \phi (n) [/itex] is equal to a number that is a power of 2, such as 2, 4, 8, 16, etc.

2. How can we prove that [itex] \phi (n) [/itex] is a power of 2 for a given value of n?

One way to prove that [itex] \phi (n) [/itex] is a power of 2 for a given value of n is by using the Euler's totient function, which calculates the number of positive integers less than or equal to n that are coprime to n. If the result of this function is a power of 2, then [itex] \phi (n) [/itex] is a power of 2.

3. Is there a specific formula or algorithm for determining if [itex] \phi (n) [/itex] is a power of 2?

Yes, there is a formula for determining if [itex] \phi (n) [/itex] is a power of 2. It is [itex] \phi (n) = 2^k [/itex], where k is a positive integer. This means that if [itex] \phi (n) [/itex] is equal to a power of 2, then it can be expressed as 2 raised to some positive integer value.

4. Are there any exceptions to [itex] \phi (n) [/itex] being a power of 2?

Yes, there are exceptions to [itex] \phi (n) [/itex] being a power of 2. For example, when n is equal to 1, [itex] \phi (n) [/itex] is also equal to 1, which is not a power of 2. Additionally, when n is equal to 2, [itex] \phi (n) [/itex] is equal to 1, which is also not a power of 2.

5. Can [itex] \phi (n) [/itex] be a power of 2 if n is not a power of 2?

Yes, [itex] \phi (n) [/itex] can be a power of 2 even if n is not a power of 2. For example, when n is equal to 3, [itex] \phi (n) [/itex] is equal to 2, which is a power of 2. This means that the relationship between [itex] \phi (n) [/itex] and n is not always direct and there can be exceptions.