Proof by Induction Homework: Solve P(n)

In summary, the two problems are to prove a statement by induction and to turn a statement into a summation.
mikky05v

Homework Statement

I have two problems that I can't figure out how to turn into summations so I can solve them.

1. Prove by induction ([itex]\forall[/itex]n)P(n), P(n) is 3|(4[itex]^{n}[/itex]-1)
I believe the | means divides.

2. Prove by induction ([itex]\forall[/itex]n)P(n), P(n) is n! [itex]\leq[/itex]n[itex]^{n}[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
The symbol "|" probably means "divides" in this context:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mathematical_symbols

What are the meaning of these "P(n)"?

There you can read what a proof by induction means:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_induction

For example, for problem 1, the first step is to check the statement for some special value of n (typically a small value).
Take n = 1, for example, and check that 3 divides (4^n-1), which is quite obvious.
Then try to prove that if the statement is true for any special value n, then it must also be true for the next value n+1 .
This can be done in two lines of algebra.

Have fun.

mikky05v said:

Homework Statement

I have two problems that I can't figure out how to turn into summations so I can solve them.

1. Prove by induction ([itex]\forall[/itex]n)P(n), P(n) is 3|(4[itex]^{n}[/itex]-1)
I believe the | means divides.

2. Prove by induction ([itex]\forall[/itex]n)P(n), P(n) is n! [itex]\leq[/itex]n[itex]^{n}[/itex]

Turn into summations? What do you mean with that?

So that i can solve them with a classic proof by induction where you solve p (1) and show that's true then solve p (k) and p (k+1) using the induction hypothesis. I dontt know how to do this properly without a summstion or how to turn those statements into summations in the form
$$\sum_{i=1}^{n}i=n$$
does that ake sense?

mikky05v said:
So that i can solve them with a classic proof by induction where you solve p (1) and show that's true then solve p (k) and p (k+1) using the induction hypothesis. I dontt know how to do this properly without a summstion or how to turn those statements into summations in the form
$$\sum_{i=1}^{n}i=n$$
does that make sense?

No. Your problem has nothing to do with summations.

Perhaps the problem is that you'e only seen induction before when you had to do stuff with summations. But summations are not necessary in order for a proof by induction to work.

Let's prove (1). You need to prove ##P(n)## holds for all naturals ##n##. If you prove this by induction, then you need to prove two things:

(a) Prove that ##P(1)## holds.
(b) Prove that if ##P(k)## holds for some natural ##k##, then ##P(k+1)## holds.

Can you prove (a) first?

micromass said:
Perhaps the problem is that you'e only seen induction bllefore when you had to do stuff with summations. But summations are not necessary in order for a proof by induction to work.

Let's prove (1). You need to prove ##P(n)## holds for all naturals ##n##. If you prove this by induction, then you need to prove two things:

(a) Prove that ##P(1)## holds.
(b) Prove that if ##P(k)## holds for some natural ##k##, then ##P(k+1)## holds.

Can you prove (a) first?

Hmmm. Ok yes p (1) works, and icanpull out a p (k) and a p (k+1) but everything i know how to do stops there.

1. P (1) 3|4^1-1=3 and yes 3|3
$$ p (k)= 3|(4^k-11) $$
$$ p (k+1)= 3|(4^{k+1}-1) $$
now what?

Last edited:
Ok so
$$p (k)= 3|(4^k-1)$$
and i need to get to
$$ p (k+1)=3|(4^{k+1}-1) $$
So p (k) is for some m
$$4^k -1=3m$$
And p (k+1) is for some p
$$4^{k+1}-1=3p $$
Now manipulating p (k) i can add 1 to bothsides and thenmultiply both sides by 4 and then subtract 1
$$4^{k+1}-1=4(3m+1)-1 $$
I feel like this is a good direction but i don't know what to do to prove 3|rhs

mikky05v said:
Ok so
$$p (k)= 3|(4^k-1)$$
and i need to get to
$$ p (k+1)=3|(4^{k+1}-1) $$
So p (k) is
$$4^k -1=3m$$
for some m
Now i can add 1 to bothsides and thenmultiply both sides by 4 and then subtract 1
$$4^{k+1}-1=4(3m+1)-1 $$
I feel like this is a good direction but i don't know what to do to prove 3|rhs

Good. Now prove that ##4(3m + 1) - 1## can be written as ##3a## for some integer ##a##.

Likes 1 person
Alright i think i have a solution for both of them now. Thank you all very much for your help

1. What is proof by induction and how does it work?

Proof by induction is a mathematical technique used to prove that a statement is true for all natural numbers. It involves two steps: the base case, where the statement is proved true for the first natural number, and the inductive step, where it is shown that if the statement is true for one natural number, it is also true for the next natural number.

2. How do I know when to use proof by induction?

Proof by induction is typically used to prove statements about natural numbers, such as formulas involving n, or properties of sequences. If you are trying to prove a statement that involves all natural numbers, then proof by induction is likely the most efficient method.

3. What is the format for writing a proof by induction?

A proof by induction typically follows this format:
- Base case: Show that the statement is true for the first natural number
- Inductive hypothesis: Assume that the statement is true for some arbitrary natural number k
- Inductive step: Show that if the statement is true for k, it is also true for k+1
- Conclusion: By the principle of mathematical induction, the statement is true for all natural numbers.

4. Can you provide an example of a proof by induction?

Yes, for example, to prove that the sum of the first n natural numbers is n(n+1)/2, we can use proof by induction.
Base case: n=1, 1=1(1+1)/2 is true
Inductive hypothesis: Assume that the statement is true for some arbitrary natural number k
Inductive step: Show that if the statement is true for k, it is also true for k+1.
By the inductive hypothesis, the sum of the first k natural numbers is k(k+1)/2. Adding k+1 to both sides, we get (k+1)(k+2)/2, which is equal to the sum of the first k+1 natural numbers.
Conclusion: By the principle of mathematical induction, the statement is true for all natural numbers.

5. Are there any common pitfalls to avoid when using proof by induction?

One common pitfall is assuming that a statement is true for all natural numbers without properly proving it for the base case. It is also important to make sure that the inductive step is valid and actually proves the statement for the next natural number. Additionally, it is important to be careful with algebraic manipulations and to fully explain each step of the proof to avoid errors.