Proof Checking: Submodules of a Free Module of Finite Rank over a PID is Also Free of Finite Rank

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the poster has provided a proof for the statement "Let $R$ be a P.I.D. and $M$ be a free module of finite rank over $R$. Then every submodule $N$ of $M$ is a free module with $\text{rank} N\leq \text{rank} M$". However, the poster forgot to use the fact that $R$ is a P.I.D. in their proof. The poster has been advised to use the P.I.D. property in two cases to show that the ideal generated by certain elements is contained in $Re_n$, leading to the conclusion that $N$ has a basis of $n$ elements or less.
caffeinemachine
Gold Member
MHB
I have been trying to prove the following:

Let $R$ be a P.I.D. and $M$ be a free module of finite rank over $R$.
Then every submodule $N$ of $M$ is a free module with
$$\text{rank} N\leq \text{rank} M$$

and here is my "proof":

Using the fact that $R$ is a P.I.D., the theorem is trivial when $\text{rank} M=1$.
Inductively assume that the theorem is true whenever the rank of $M$ is less than $n$, where $n>1$.
Let $\text{rank} M$ be $n$ and $(e_1,\ldots,e_n)$ be a basis of $M$.
By the second isomorphism theorem, we have
$$\frac{N+Re_n}{Re_n}\ \cong \ \frac{N}{N\cap Re_n}$$
Now $(N+Re_n)/Re_n$ is a submodule of $M/Re_n$.
Since $\text{rank}(M/Re_n)=n-1$, by induction we infer that $(N+Re_n)/Re_n$ is a free module of rank no more than $n-1$.
Let $\bar v_1,\ldots,\bar v_k$ be a basis of $(N+Re_n)/Re_n$, where $k\leq n-1$.
Also, $N\cap Re_n$ is a submodule of $Re_n\cong R$, and hence $N\cap Re_n$ is a free module of rank no more than $1$.
Assume first than $\text{rank}(N\cap Re_n)=1$ and $v$ be a basis of the same.
We claim that $(v,v_1,\ldots,v_k)$ forms a basis for $N$.
Let $n\in N$.
Then $\bar n=a_1\bar v_1+\cdots+a_k\bar v_k$ for some $a_i$'s in $R$.
Therefore, $n-(a_1v_1+\cdots+a_kv_k)\in Re_n$, which means, there exists $a\in R$ such that $n=av+a_1v_1+\cdots+a_kv_k$.
So we see that $(v,v_1,\ldots,v_k)$ spans $N$.
Now we show linearly independence.
Say $av+a_1v_1+\cdots a_kv_k=0$ for some $a,a_1,\ldots,a_k\in R$.
Then $a_1\bar v_1+\cdots +a_k\bar v_k=\bar 0$, giving $a_1=\cdots=a_k=0$.
This in turn leads to $a=0$ and we are done.
Now if $\text{rank}(N\cap Re_n)=0$ then $N\cap Re_n=\{0\}$.
From here we can show that $(v_1,\ldots,v_k)$ is a basis for $N$ and we are done.What bugs me about this proof is that I don't seem to use the fact that $R$ is a P.I.D. anywhere after the base case for induction.

Can anybody see if I have made a mistake?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

After reviewing your proof, I can confirm that you have indeed made a mistake. While your proof is correct in showing that $N$ is a free module, it does not prove that $\text{rank} N \leq \text{rank} M$. In order to prove this, you need to use the fact that $R$ is a P.I.D. in the following way:

In the case where $\text{rank}(N \cap Re_n) = 1$, you correctly show that $N$ is a free module with basis $(v,v_1,\ldots,v_k)$. However, you need to use the fact that $R$ is a P.I.D. to show that the ideal generated by $v$ is contained in $Re_n$. This is because in a P.I.D., any ideal generated by a single element is equal to the ideal generated by the GCD of all elements in the ideal. Since $v$ and $e_n$ are both elements of $Re_n$, their GCD must also be an element of $Re_n$. This allows you to conclude that $v \in Re_n$ and therefore $N$ has a basis of $n$ elements or less.

In the case where $\text{rank}(N \cap Re_n) = 0$, you correctly show that $N$ is a free module with basis $(v_1,\ldots,v_k)$. However, you need to use the fact that $R$ is a P.I.D. to show that the ideal generated by $v_1,\ldots,v_k$ is contained in $Re_n$. This is because in a P.I.D., the ideal generated by multiple elements is equal to the ideal generated by their LCM. Since $v_1,\ldots,v_k$ are all elements of $Re_n$, their LCM must also be an element of $Re_n$. This allows you to conclude that $N$ has a basis of $n$ elements or less.

I hope this helps clarify the use of the P.I.D. property in your proof.

1. What is a submodule?

A submodule is a subset of a module that is closed under the module's operations and itself has the structure of a module.

2. What is a free module?

A free module is a module that has a basis, meaning it can be generated by a linearly independent set of elements.

3. What is a finite rank?

A finite rank refers to the number of elements in a basis for a free module.

4. What is a PID?

A PID (Principal Ideal Domain) is an integral domain in which every ideal can be generated by a single element.

5. Why is it important that submodules of a free module over a PID are also free of finite rank?

This property is important because it allows for easier analysis and classification of modules. It also has important applications in algebraic geometry and algebraic number theory.