Proving the Span of u_1, u_2, ..., u_k and Av

• Thread starter Phymath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation is about proving that if a vector v is in the span of a set of vectors, then the matrix multiplication of A and v is also in the span of A and the set of vectors. This is proven using linear equations and the fact that matrix multiplication commutes with linear combinations. The expert has confirmed that the approach used is correct and the proof is valid.
Phymath
Proof Help! Spans!

I was give the fallowing to prove and i would like it know if anyone thinks i did this right lol...

Let [tex] u_1, u_2, ..., u_k [/tex] be vectors in [tex] R^n [/tex] and [tex] A [/tex] be a [tex] m x n [/tex] matrix. Prove that if [tex] v [/tex] is int he span of [tex] u_1, u_2, ..., u_k [/tex] then [tex] Av [/tex] is in the span of [tex] Au_1, Au_2, ..., Au_k [/tex].

this is what i did to prove this...

If [tex] v [/tex] is in the span of the set [tex] S [/tex] which follows [tex] S = {u_1, u_2, ...,u_k}[/tex] then there is set of coeffients that make the following linear combonation of the elements of the set [tex]S[/tex] that follows the linear equation to prove that [tex]v [/tex] is in the span of [tex] S[/tex]...
[tex]c_1 u_1 + c_2 u_2 + ... + c_k u_k = v[/tex]

to show that [tex]Av[/tex] is in the span of [tex]Au_1, Au_2, ..., Au_k [/tex]
thus the fallowing linear equation must be true...[tex]c_1 Au_1 + c_2 Au_2 + ... + c_k Au_k = Av[/tex] factoring matrix [tex] A[/tex] gives [tex] A(c_1 u_1 + c_2 u_2 + ... + c_k u_k) \rightarrow Av[/tex] thus proving Av is in the span of [tex]Au_1, Au_2, ..., Au_k [/tex]

so did i make any mistakes is this crap? let me know please...

FOR ANYONE WHO'S LATEX ISN'T LOADING HERES THE RAW TYPING
I was give the fallowing to prove and i would like it know if anyone thinks i did this right lol...

Let u_1, u_2, ..., u_k be vectors in R^n and A be a m x n matrix. Prove that if v is int he span of u_1, u_2, ..., u_k then Av is in the span of Au_1, Au_2, ..., Au_k .

this is what i did to prove this...

If v is in the span of the set S which follows S = {u_1, u_2, ...,u_k} then there is set of coeffients that make the following linear combonation of the elements of the set S that follows the linear equation to prove that v is in the span of S...
c_1 u_1 + c_2 u_2 + ... + c_k u_k = v

to show that Av is in the span of Au_1, Au_2, ..., Au_k
thus the fallowing linear equation must be true...c_1 Au_1 + c_2 Au_2 + ... + c_k Au_k = Av factoring matrix A gives A(c_1 u_1 + c_2 u_2 + ... + c_k u_k) -> Av thus proving Av is in the span of Au_1, Au_2, ..., Au_k

so did i make any mistakes is this crap? let me know please...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
just tell me briefly what you are trying to do. i cannot digest all that crap.

the short answer is, yes, you've got it. (A is linear so it commutes with scalar multiplication and addition of vectors, that's all they're getting at in the question).

if v = some linear combination of the u's, then since matrix multiplication commutes with linear combinations, then Av is the same linear combination of the Au's. QED.

1. What does it mean to "prove the span" of a set of vectors?

Proving the span of a set of vectors means showing that every possible vector can be expressed as a linear combination of the given vectors. In other words, the span of a set of vectors is the set of all possible linear combinations of those vectors.

2. How do you prove the span of u1, u2, ..., uk?

To prove the span of u1, u2, ..., uk, you need to show that any vector v can be expressed as a linear combination of u1, u2, ..., uk. This can be done by writing out the linear combination and solving for the coefficients. If there exists a solution for the coefficients, then v is in the span of the given vectors.

3. What is the role of Av in proving the span of u1, u2, ..., uk and Av?

Av is a linear combination of the vectors u1, u2, ..., uk, and it represents any possible vector that can be expressed as a linear combination of those vectors. By including Av in the proof, we are showing that the span of u1, u2, ..., uk is able to produce any vector in the vector space.

4. Can you prove the span of u1, u2, ..., uk without using Av?

Yes, the span of u1, u2, ..., uk can be proven without using Av. This can be done by showing that the given vectors are linearly independent and span the entire vector space. This means that the span of the given vectors is equal to the entire vector space, and therefore, any vector in the vector space can be expressed as a linear combination of the given vectors.

5. Why is proving the span of u1, u2, ..., uk and Av important?

Proving the span of u1, u2, ..., uk and Av is important because it helps us understand the properties and capabilities of the given set of vectors. It also allows us to determine whether the vectors are linearly independent and span the entire vector space, which is crucial in many applications of linear algebra, such as solving systems of linear equations and finding bases for vector spaces.