1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof involving sequences of functions and uniform convergence

1. Apr 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [tex] \phi_n(x) [/tex] be positive valued and continuous for all x in [tex] [-1,1] [/tex] with:

[tex] \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \int_{-1}^{1} \phi_n(x) = 1 [/tex]

Suppose further that [tex] \{\phi_n(x)\} [/tex] converges to 0 uniformly on the intervals [tex] [-1,-c] [/tex] and [tex] [-c,1] [/tex] for any [tex] c > 0 [/tex]

Let g be any function which is continuous on [tex] [-1,1] [/tex].

Show that:

[tex] \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \int_{-1}^{1} \phi_n(x) g(x)dx = g(0) [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

Theorem:

If the functions [tex] \{f_n\} [/tex] and F are integrable on a bounded closed set E, and [tex] \{f_n\} [/tex] converges to F pointwise on E, and if [tex] \Vert {f_n} \Vert < M [/tex] for some M and all n = 1,2,3,..., then:

[tex] \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \int_{E} {f_n} = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \int_{E} F [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Alrighty, so the first thing I did was apply the theorem on:

[tex] f_n = \phi_n [/tex] on the intervals [-1,-c] and [-c,1]

and came up with the following integrals(since uniform convergence implies pointwise convergence):

[tex] \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \int_{-1}^{-c} \phi_n(x) = 0 [/tex]
    and
    [tex] \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \int_{-c}^{-1} \phi_n(x) = 0 [/tex]

If we add these integrals together we know what happens at c=0.

Looking at our new sequence:

[tex] f_n = \phi_n g(x) [/tex]

This sequence is uniformly bounded on [-1,-c] and [-c,1] and converges pointwise to 0.

Thus I think because of the continuity of [tex] \phi_n [/tex] and g, and the uniform convergence of [tex] \phi_n [/tex]:

[tex] \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \int_{-1}^{-c} \phi_n(x) g(x) = 0 [/tex]
    [tex] \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \int_{-c}^{-1} \phi_n(x) g(x) = 0 [/tex]

Again if we add these integrals together we know what happens when c = 0. But I'm not entirely sure where to go from here or if I'm going in the right direction. Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2009 #2
    Second attempt at solution

Okay so I've tried a little bit more now:

Just adding and subtracting a term from the limit we want to prove:

[tex]
    \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \int_{-1}^{1} \phi_n(x) g(x)dx =
    \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \int_{-1}^{1} \phi_n(x)(g(x)-g(0))dx + \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \int_{-1}^{1} \phi_n(x) g(0)dx
    [/tex]

but

[tex] \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \int_{-1}^{1} \phi_n(x) g(0)dx = g(0) [/tex]

and by the mean value theorem for integrals we know there exists a t in [tex] [-1,1] [/tex] such that:

[tex] \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \int_{-1}^{1} \phi_n(x)(g(x)-g(0))dx = (g(t)-g(0))\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \int_{-1}^{1} \phi_n(x) = g(t) - g(0) [/tex]

and now I want to make an argument that states g(t) must be g(0).

So I started by breaking my integral up:
    [tex]
    \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \int_{-1}^{-c} \phi_n(x) g(x) + \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \int_{-c}^{1} \phi_n(x) g(x) = 0
    [/tex]

as c goes to zero.

But then g(t) - g(0) = 0 and thus g(t) = g(0) and then we would have:

[tex]
    \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \int_{-1}^{1} \phi_n(x) g(x)dx = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \int_{-1}^{1} \phi_n(x)(g(x)-g(0))dx + \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \int_{-1}^{1} \phi_n(x) g(0)dx = g(t) - g(0) + g(0) = g(0) [/tex]

The very last step seems a little hand wavy, I hope someone can help me.

Edit: (I also realize some of the stuff in my first post is wrong, but it won't let me edit it)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  4. Apr 6, 2009 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You MUST mean phi_n converges uniformly to zero on [-1,-c] and [c,1] for any c>0. Not [-1,-c] and [-c,1]. If that were the case then the integral of phi_n would go to zero as n->infinity.

5. Apr 6, 2009 #4
    Right, thanks for pointing that out.

Then my integrals at the bottom of my second post change to:

[tex]

\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \int_{-1}^{-c} \phi_n(x) g(x) + \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \int_{c}^{1} \phi_n(x) g(x) = 0

[/tex]

and then as c goes to zero:
    [tex]
    0 = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \int_{-1}^{-c} \phi_n(x) g(x) + \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \int_{c}^{1} \phi_n(x) g(x) = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \int_{-1}^{1} \phi_n(x)(g(x)-g(0))dx = (g(t)-g(0))\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \int_{-1}^{1} \phi_n(x) = g(t) - g(0) [/tex]

Edit: Ya this is wrong.

I just don't feel right about this though.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  6. Apr 6, 2009 #5
    Ah I'm all messed up now lol

7. Apr 6, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

g(x) is continuous at 0. So if c is small enough g(x) is 'almost' g(0) on [-c,c]. phi_n is 'almost' zero outside of [-c,c] for large enough n. Now put in some epsilons to quantify 'almost'.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook