Proof needed: polynomial of odd degree

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the statement that if p(x) is a polynomial of odd degree, then the equation p(x)=0 has at least one real solution. The intermediate value theorem is required for this proof, which states that if a function is continuous on an interval and its values at the endpoints have opposite signs, then there exists at least one solution to the equation in that interval. The conversation also mentions using induction to prove this for any odd degree polynomial and discusses how the limit of p(x) as x approaches infinity can help with selecting the closed interval for the proof. Ultimately, it is concluded that the hypothesis of the theorem is satisfied and therefore, there is at least one real solution to p(x).
John O' Meara
Prove: If p(x) is a polynomial of odd degree then the equation p(x)=0 has at least one real solution. I know the following theorem is required: If f is continuous on [a,b] and if f(a) and f(b) are nonzero and have opposite signs, then there is at least one solution of the equation f(x)=0 in the interval (a,b). Which is a conquence of the intermediate value theorem. I am studying this on my own and I do not know how one would go about this proof. Does one first prove it for say p(x)=x^3, then use induction to prove it for any odd degree polynomial? Please help. Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
first think about this: if [tex] p(x) [/tex] has odd degree, what do you know about

[tex]
\lim_{x \to \infty} p(x)
[/tex]

and

[tex]
\lim_{x \to -\infty} p(x)
[/tex]

I guess they go to +infinity and -infinity, respectively.

John O' Meara said:
I guess they go to +infinity and -infinity, respectively.

Correct. First, concentrate on [tex] \lim_{x \to \infty} p(x) [/tex].

Since this limit is positive infinity, you know that for [tex] x [/tex] large enough, [tex] p(x) > 0 [tex] has to be true, right? You can make a similar statement about the other limit.

You don't need to know where these things happen; just that there are real numbers where p is becomes negative and becomes positive, and stays with those signs. How does this help you with your theorem?

I think I need a little more information, as I think f(a) < 0 and f(b) > 0 how do I select my closed interval [a,b]? Sorry for the long delay in getting back to you, I had to go away quickly.

If x is very negative, f(x)<0. So you can find a such that f(a)<0. If x is very positive, f(x)>0. So you can find b such that f(b)>0. Just use those a and b; you don't need to specify them any further

Since, we have shown that f(a)<0 and f(b)>0 that is the hypothesis of the theorem is satisfied, the conclusion of the theorem implies that there is at least one real solution to P(x). Is that it finished?

1. What is a polynomial of odd degree?

A polynomial of odd degree is a mathematical expression that consists of one or more terms, each containing a variable raised to an odd power. The highest power of the variable in the polynomial is considered the degree of the polynomial.

2. Why is proof needed for a polynomial of odd degree?

Proof is needed for a polynomial of odd degree because it is a crucial step in verifying the validity of a mathematical statement or equation. It helps to ensure that the polynomial is accurate and can be used in further calculations or applications.

3. How is proof for a polynomial of odd degree obtained?

Proof for a polynomial of odd degree is obtained through a series of mathematical steps and logical reasoning. This can involve using algebraic manipulations, substitution, or other methods to show that the polynomial is true for all values of the variable.

4. Can a polynomial of odd degree have real solutions?

Yes, a polynomial of odd degree can have real solutions. In fact, a polynomial with an odd degree will always have at least one real solution, as long as the coefficients are real numbers.

5. What are some real-world applications of polynomials of odd degree?

Polynomials of odd degree have various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. They can be used to model real-life situations, such as determining the maximum profit for a business or calculating the trajectory of a projectile.