Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof needed: polynomial of odd degree

1. Sep 29, 2009 #1
    Prove: If p(x) is a polynomial of odd degree then the equation p(x)=0 has at least one real solution. I know the following theorem is required: If f is continuous on [a,b] and if f(a) and f(b) are nonzero and have opposite signs, then there is at least one solution of the equation f(x)=0 in the interval (a,b). Which is a conquence of the intermediate value theorem. I am studying this on my own and I do not know how one would go about this proof. Does one first prove it for say p(x)=x^3, then use induction to prove it for any odd degree polynomial? Please help. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2009 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

first think about this: if [tex] p(x) [/tex] has odd degree, what do you know about

[tex]
    \lim_{x \to \infty} p(x)
    [/tex]

and

[tex]
    \lim_{x \to -\infty} p(x)
    [/tex]

4. Sep 29, 2009 #3
    I guess they go to +infinity and -infinity, respectively.

5. Sep 29, 2009 #4

statdad

Homework Helper

Correct. First, concentrate on [tex] \lim_{x \to \infty} p(x) [/tex].

Since this limit is positive infinity, you know that for [tex] x [/tex] large enough, [tex] p(x) > 0 [tex] has to be true, right? You can make a similar statement about the other limit.

You don't need to know where these things happen; just that there are real numbers where p is becomes negative and becomes positive, and stays with those signs. How does this help you with your theorem?

6. Sep 29, 2009 #5
    I think I need a little more information, as I think f(a) < 0 and f(b) > 0 how do I select my closed interval [a,b]? Sorry for the long delay in getting back to you, I had to go away quickly.

7. Sep 29, 2009 #6

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If x is very negative, f(x)<0. So you can find a such that f(a)<0. If x is very positive, f(x)>0. So you can find b such that f(b)>0. Just use those a and b; you don't need to specify them any further

8. Sep 29, 2009 #7
    Since, we have shown that f(a)<0 and f(b)>0 that is the hypothesis of the theorem is satisfied, the conclusion of the theorem implies that there is at least one real solution to P(x). Is that it finished?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook