Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of Central Limit Theorem

1. Feb 26, 2007 #1
    I have been reading some books about the proof of the Central Limit Theorem, all of them use the uniqueness of moment generating function. But since I have not yet seen a proof of the uniqueness properties, is there any proof that does not use this result? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2007 #2
    It can be done in terms of Characteristic functions also. A brief proof is given on the wikipedia site for Central Limit Theorem. Uniqueness of a characteristic function holds because it is just the Fourier transform of the corresponding density function, up to a multiplicative constant

4. Feb 27, 2007 #3

ssd

Moment generating functions are not unique in general. Proof of CLT uses characteristic function and CF's are unique.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  5. Feb 27, 2007 #4
    I am not familiar with the characteristic function, is there a place I can quickly read about its uniqueness? Is characteristic function a necessary step in existing CLT proofs? Thanks.

6. Feb 28, 2007 #5
  7. Mar 9, 2007 #6
    ch.f is not the only tool for proving CLT, however in proper setting it is quick and convinient; as far as i know, stein's method another approach:cool:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?