Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of existence of opposite roots in semisimple algebras?

1. Jan 4, 2012 #1

naima

Gold Member

Happy new year from France.

I am reading books on elementary particle and i see that their
    gauge bosons may be neutral or have opposite charge. They live
    in semisimple Lie algebras. So I searched in math books how to prove
    that in a semisimple Lie algebra if α is a root so is -α.
    I found that it is related to the fact that the killing form is not degenerate.

Could you comment this:

If α is a root the space gα is not nul and orthogonal to Ʃλ ≠- α g λ. Since the Killing form is non degenerate g must be ≠ 0 then -α is a root.

Here g λ = {x ∈ g |∃n ∈ N ∀h ∈ h , (π(h) − λ(h))n (x) = 0}.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2012 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That is certainly a correct proof, but be sure that you're not using anything you're not allowed to (i.e. that you're not being circular).

4. Jan 15, 2012 #3

naima

Gold Member

I found it in a book.

the main thing is to see that [gα , gβ ] ⊂ gα+β
    by definition the killing form K(x,y) = trace (ad x ad y) where ad y (z) = [y,z].

We have ad x ad y (z) = [x,[y,z]]
    if x ∈ g α y ∈ g β and z ∈ g γ then [x,[y,z]] is in g α+β+γ
    so if α+β not null gγ is mapped on another space and does not participate to the trace (outside the diagonal)
    x is orthogonal to y (K =0) if β not = -α
    it cannot be orthogonal to all the vectors (K not degenerate) so -α is a root.

Could you give me an example where gα (eigenvectors) is strictly included in gα

5. Jan 15, 2012 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For a complex semisimple g, what you denote by g^\alpha ("generalized" eigenvectors) is always equal to g_\alpha.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook