What is the derivation of the radial acceleration in Kepler's 1st Law?

• I
  • Thread starter Forcino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law Proof
In summary, When using Newton's Universal Law of Gravity to prove an elliptical orbit, the radial acceleration can be derived using the general form of acceleration in polar coordinates. This is the equivalent of ##a_x = \ddot x , \ \ a_y = \ddot y## in Cartesian coordinates. Additionally, there is an alternative, more mathematical approach using the conservation of the Runge-Lenz vector. The negative sign in the equation for the derivatives of the unit vectors arises naturally from differentiation. When calculating the acceleration in polar coordinates, it is easy to project the vectors to the curvilinear orthonormal basis, which results in the general form of acceleration in polar coordinates.
Forcino
TL;DR Summary
Using Newton's Universal Law of Gravity to prove an elliptical orbit.
When proving that Newton's Universal Law of Gravity will produce an elliptical orbit, the radial acceleration is confusing to me. Can someone please explain how the radial acceleration is equal to d^2/dt^2 - r(d x theta / dt)^2. Could someone please detail how that acceleration is derived? Thank you. Here is a link to the proof http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/301/lectures/node155.html

Physics news on Phys.org
Forcino said:
Summary:: Using Newton's Universal Law of Gravity to prove an elliptical orbit.

When proving that Newton's Universal Law of Gravity will produce an elliptical orbit, the radial acceleration is confusing to me. Can someone please explain how the radial acceleration is equal to d^2/dt^2 - r(d x theta / dt)^2. Could someone please detail how that acceleration is derived? Thank you. Here is a link to the proof http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/301/lectures/node155.html

That's just the general form of acceleration in polar coordinates. It's the equivalent of ##a_x = \ddot x , \ \ a_y = \ddot y## in Cartesian coordinates. But not so simple!

See here for example:

https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/aeronau...fall-2009/lecture-notes/MIT16_07F09_Lec05.pdf

Thank you. I have looked at that site before.

Can you explain why this is true der = dθeθ, and that deθ = −dθer (from the top of page 2)? I can't really see that from the diagram.

Forcino said:
Thank you. I have looked at that site before.

Can you explain why this is true der = dθeθ, and that deθ = −dθer (from the top of page 2)? I can't really see that from the diagram.

I prefer the alternative, "more mathematical" approach on the next page.

A very elegant trick is to know that the Kepler problem has an additional dynamical symmetry, leading to the conservation of the socalled Runge-Lenz vector, which immediately leads to the conclusion that the orbits are conical sections (ellipses for ##E<0##, parabolas for ##E=0##, and hyperbolas for ##E>0##). The Runge-Lenz vector is given by
$$\vec{Q}=\frac{1}{\gamma m_1 m_2} \dot{\vec{r}} \times \vec{L} -\frac{\vec{r}}{r}.$$
Here
$$\vec{L}=\mu \vec{r} \times \dot{\vec{r}}$$
with ##\mu=m_1 m_2/(m_1+m_2)## is the angular momentum in the center-of-mass frame.

Last edited:
PeroK said:
I prefer the alternative, "more mathematical" approach on the next page.
Thank you for writing. I am working on understanding the acceleration in polar form. I see that der = dθeθ. 1. Am I correct in saying that means that a small change in the unit vector in the r direction is equal to a small change in the angle in the theta direction? I see that deθ = −dθer. 2. Am I correct in saying that means that a small change in the angle vector equals a small change in the angle in the angle in the r vector direction? 3. Why is the negative sign there?

Forcino said:
Thank you for writing. I am working on understanding the acceleration in polar form. I see that der = dθeθ. 1. Am I correct in saying that means that a small change in the unit vector in the r direction is equal to a small change in the angle in the theta direction? I see that deθ = −dθer. 2. Am I correct in saying that means that a small change in the angle vector equals a small change in the angle in the angle in the r vector direction? 3. Why is the negative sign there?

That's not how I would put it. The correct terminology is "derivatives of the radial and angular unit vectors".

See the derivation on the page under the note: Alternative calculation of the unit vector derivatives.

What you have above is these derivatives in differential form.

The negative sign arises naturally from the differentiation. It's not something the author has added as an afterthought!

Ok, just let's do the simple math. Let's assume we argued from Kepler's 2nd Law, which is nothing else than the conservation of angular momentum that the orbit is in a plane perpendicular to the angular-momentum vector, and now we introduce polar coordinates. The Cartesian coordinates are given by the polar coordinates as
$$\begin{pmatrix} x \\ y \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} r \cos \varphi \\ r \sin \varphi \end{pmatrix}.$$
From this we calculate the velocity vector,
$$\begin{pmatrix} v_x \\ v_y \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} \dot{x} \\ \dot{y} \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} \dot{r} \cos \varphi - r \dot{\varphi} \sin \varphi \\ \dot{r} \sin \varphi + r \dot{\varphi} \cos \varphi \end{pmatrix},$$
and the acceleration
$$\begin{pmatrix} a_x \\ a_y \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} \dot{v}_x \\ \dot{v}_y \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} \ddot{r} \cos \varphi -2 \dot{r} \dot{\varphi} \sin \varphi -r \dot{\varphi}^2 \cos \varphi -r \ddot{\varphi} \sin \varphi \\ \ddot{r} \sin \varphi + 2 \dot{r} \dot{\varphi} \cos \varphi +r \ddot{\varphi} \cos \varphi -r \dot{\varphi}^2 \sin \varphi \end{pmatrix}.$$
Now it's easy to project the vectors to the curvilinear orthonormal basis,
$$\vec{e}_r=\partial_r \vec{x}=\begin{pmatrix} \cos \varphi \sin \varphi \end{pmatrix}, \quad \vec{e}_{\varphi} = \frac{1}{r} \partial_{\varphi} \vec{x}=\begin{pmatrix} -\sin \varphi \\ \cos \varphi \end{pmatrix}.$$
You get
$$a_{r} = \vec{e}_r \cdot \vec{r} = \ddot{r}-r \dot{\varphi}^2, \quad a_{\varphi}=r \ddot{\varphi} + 2 \dot{r} \dot{\varphi}.$$
The force is
$$\vec{F}=-\frac{\gamma m M}{r^2} \vec{e}_r,$$
and thus the equations of motion read
$$\ddot{r}-r \dot{\varphi}^2=-\frac{\gamma M}{r^2}, \quad r \ddot{\varphi} + 2 \dot{r} \dot \varphi=0.$$
Of course, we already now that the angular momentum is conserved, i.e.,
$$\ell=m (x \dot{y}-y \dot{x})=m r^2 \dot{\varphi}=\text{const}.$$
Indeed, taking the derivative of this equation wrt. time, you get the 2nd equation of motion (the ##\varphi##-component).

I think the rest of the calculation is really very nicely explained in the linked manuscriped of posting #1, though I think it's much more elegant to use the Runge-Lenz vector ;-).

What is Kepler's 1st Law?

Kepler's 1st Law, also known as the Law of Ellipses, states that all planets move in elliptical orbits around the sun, with the sun at one of the focal points of the ellipse.

What is the derivation of the radial acceleration in Kepler's 1st Law?

The derivation of the radial acceleration in Kepler's 1st Law involves using Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which states that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. By setting this force equal to the centripetal force required to keep a planet in orbit, we can derive the equation for radial acceleration.

How does the radial acceleration affect a planet's orbit?

The radial acceleration, also known as the centripetal acceleration, is responsible for keeping a planet in its elliptical orbit around the sun. It is directly proportional to the square of the planet's velocity and inversely proportional to the distance between the planet and the sun. This means that as the planet moves closer to the sun, its velocity and radial acceleration increase, causing it to move faster in its orbit.

What factors affect the magnitude of the radial acceleration in Kepler's 1st Law?

The magnitude of the radial acceleration in Kepler's 1st Law is affected by the mass of the planet, the mass of the sun, and the distance between them. The greater the mass of the planet, the greater the radial acceleration needed to keep it in its orbit. Similarly, a larger mass for the sun will also result in a greater radial acceleration. The distance between the two objects also plays a role, with a smaller distance resulting in a larger radial acceleration.

How does Kepler's 1st Law relate to other laws of planetary motion?

Kepler's 1st Law is one of three laws of planetary motion discovered by Johannes Kepler in the early 17th century. It works in conjunction with the other two laws, the Law of Equal Areas and the Law of Harmonies, to describe the motion of planets in our solar system. Together, these laws provide a comprehensive understanding of how planets move around the sun.