Proof of ladder operator identity

In summary, the conversation discusses the definitions of n and ñ, as well as their partial derivatives. It also introduces the magnetic length and its relationship with the given equations. The task at hand is to show that a=(1/2)ñ+∂n and a†=(1/2)n -∂ñ, which are the lowering and raising operators of quantum mechanics. One possible approach is to calculate the commutator of a and a† and show that it is the same as for the raising and lowering operators.
shinobi20

Homework Statement

Define n=(x + iy)/(2)½L and ñ=(x - iy)/(2)½L.

Also, ∂n = L(∂x - i ∂y)/(2)½ and ∂ñ = L(∂x + i ∂y)/(2)½.

with ∂n=∂/∂n, ∂x=∂/∂x, ∂y=∂/∂y, and L being the magnetic length.

Show that a=(1/2)ñ+∂n and a=(1/2)n -∂ñ

a and a are the lowering and raising operators of quantum mechanics.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
Sorry but I really don't have any idea on how start. I just know that a=(1/ (2)½) (x/x0-ip/p0) and a=(1/ (2)½) (x/x0+ip/p0) with x0=(ħ/mω)½ and p0=(ħmω)½

Physics news on Phys.org
shinobi20 said:

Homework Statement

Define n=(x + iy)/(2)½L and ñ=(x - iy)/(2)½L.

Also, ∂n = L(∂x - i ∂y)/(2)½ and ∂ñ = L(∂x + i ∂y)/(2)½.

with ∂n=∂/∂n, ∂x=∂/∂x, ∂y=∂/∂y, and L being the magnetic length.

Show that a=(1/2)ñ+∂n and a=(1/2)n -∂ñ

a and a are the lowering and raising operators of quantum mechanics.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
Sorry but I really don't have any idea on how start. I just know that a=(1/ (2)½) (x/x0-ip/p0) and a=(1/ (2)½) (x/x0+ip/p0) with x0=(ħ/mω)½ and p0=(ħmω)½
Have you tried calculating the commutator of your a and ##a^\dagger##? The idea is to show that they are the same as for the raising and lowering operators.

nrqed said:
Have you tried calculating the commutator of your a and ##a^\dagger##? The idea is to show that they are the same as for the raising and lowering operators.
Wouldn't that just be verifying but not showing? I think the problem wants me to derive it.

1. What is the proof of the ladder operator identity?

The proof of the ladder operator identity is a mathematical demonstration that shows how the creation and annihilation operators in quantum mechanics satisfy certain properties, such as commutation and anti-commutation relations.

2. Why is the proof of ladder operator identity important?

The proof of ladder operator identity is important because it provides a rigorous mathematical foundation for the use of ladder operators in quantum mechanics. It allows us to manipulate and understand quantum systems with more precision and accuracy.

3. How does the proof of ladder operator identity relate to the concept of quantum states?

The proof of ladder operator identity is essential for understanding the properties and behavior of quantum states. It allows us to describe the creation and annihilation of particles in a quantum system, which is crucial for understanding the dynamics of these states.

4. Can the proof of ladder operator identity be applied to all quantum systems?

Yes, the proof of ladder operator identity is a general result that applies to all quantum systems. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used in a wide range of applications, including quantum field theory and quantum information processing.

5. Are there any practical applications of the proof of ladder operator identity?

Yes, the proof of ladder operator identity has many practical applications in various fields, including quantum computing, quantum optics, and quantum chemistry. It allows us to make accurate predictions and calculations about the behavior of quantum systems, which is crucial for the development of advanced technologies.