1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of Limit Laws

1. Jan 1, 2012 #1
    Dear All,

I need help on proving: eq0073M.gif

According to Pauls Online Notes,
    we let ε > 0. Since [PLAIN]http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/LimitProofs_files/eq0075M.gif, [Broken] there's a http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/LimitProofs_files/eq0076M.gif such that
    eq0077M.gif

I understand that l g(x) - L l < ε, but how do we derive l g(x) - L l < l L l / 2 ?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What does it mean (in terms of δ and ε) for [itex]\displaystyle\lim_{x\,\to\,a}\ g(x)=L\ ?[/itex]

In particular, if you let ε = |L|/2, then you know that there is some number, call it δ1, such that whenever 0 < | x - a | < δ1,
    then | g(x) - L | < |L|/2 .

4. Jan 1, 2012 #3
    Hi SammyS, thanks for reply. But how do you get | L |/2 ?

5. Jan 1, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Often, the way you come up with such quantities is to "play around" with the δ and the ε expressions, (often working backwards, so to speak, that is -- from the ε to the δ) to find a relationship between δ and ε.

So, off hand, I don't know why he chose |L|/2 , but I haven't gone through his whole argument.

It's just that he's using the |L|/2 for ε, so we know δ1 exists from the definition of the limit and knowing that [itex]\displaystyle\lim_{x\,\to\,a}\,g(x)=L\,.[/itex]

6. Jan 1, 2012 #5

Hi, please refer to:
    http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/LimitProofs.aspx( [Broken] Proof of 4)

7. Jan 1, 2012 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, after looking at this (I had already found it.), maybe I should ask you "What is the role of |L|/2 in the proof?"

BTW, there is nothing magic about |L|/2 itself. All that's needed is something less than |L|.

He uses |L|/2 to get δ1. He uses δ1 to get a bound on 1/|g(x)| , because when you consider what needs to be proved, you realize that you must have
    [itex]\displaystyle\left|\frac{1}{g(x)}-\frac{1}{L}\right|<\varepsilon[/itex]​
    A little algebra shows that
    [itex]\displaystyle\left|\frac{1}{g(x)}-\frac{1}{L}\right|=\frac{1}{|L|}\frac{1}{|g(x)|} \left|g(x)-L\right|[/itex]​
    Looking at details in the proof, we see that δ1 is used so that there is an upper bound on [itex]\displaystyle\frac{1}{|g(x)|}[/itex]. δ2 is used so that there is a bound on |g(x)-L| .

8. Jan 2, 2012 #7
    May I know why must l g(x) - L l < l L l ?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  9. Jan 2, 2012 #8

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Actually, if you look at the Notes, [itex]\displaystyle \left|g(x)-L\right|<\frac{L^2}{2}\varepsilon\,.[/itex]

This was chosen so that
    [itex]\displaystyle \frac{1}{|L|}\frac{1}{|g(x)|} \left|g(x)-L\right|<\frac{1}{|L|}\frac{2}{|L|}\frac{L^2}{2} \varepsilon\,,[/itex]​
    whenever
    [itex]0<|x-a|<\min(\delta_1,\delta_2)\,.[/itex]​

10. Jan 2, 2012 #9

And how do we know that: l g(x) - L l < (L x L)ε/2 ?

11. Jan 2, 2012 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You seem to be completely missing the point! If [itex]\lim_{x\to a} g(x)= L[/itex], then, for any number [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex], there exist [itex]\delta[/itex] such that if [itex]|x- a|< \delta[/itex] then [itex]|g(x)- L|< \epsilon[/itex]. Because [itex]\epsilon[/itex] can be any, we can, if we wish, take it to be L, or L/2, or [itex](L^2/2)\epsilon[/itex]. The only thing that changes is how small [itex]\delta[/itex] must. And if we have [itex]\delta_1[/itex] such that if [itex]|x- a|<\delta_1[/itex] then [itex]|g(x)-L|< \epsilon[/itex] and, say, [itex]\delta_2[/itex] such that if [itex]|x- a|< \delta_2[/itex] then [itex]|g(x)- L|<(L^2/2)\epsilon[/itex], then taking [itex]\delta[/itex] to be the smaller of the two, if [itex]|x- a|<\delta[/itex] then both [itex]|x- a|< \delta_1[/itex] and [itex]|x- a|< \delta_2[/itex] are true and so both [itex]g(x)- L|< \epsilon[/itex] and [itex]|g(x)- L|< (L^2/2)\epsilon[/itex] are true.

12. Jan 2, 2012 #11
    Ah yes, I get what you mean:) One needs to vary parameters according to the situation:) Thank you v. much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook