Proof of orthonormality of the hamiltonian when not real

In summary, the conversation involves a discussion on how to prove the orthonormality of the Hamiltonian, specifically when it is not real. The conversation also touches on the correct terminology to use, such as "Hermitian" or "self-adjoint". The conversation also includes a brief explanation of the proof for the orthonormality of eigenstates of a self-adjoint operator. The conversation ends with a question about which textbook the lecturer is using.
NicolaNorth
Hi,

I know how to prove the orthonormality of the hamiltonian when it is real but am struggling to work out how to prove it when the hamiltonian is not real.

When proving for a real hamiltonian the lefthand side equals zero as H(mn)=H(nm)complexconjugate. but if the hamiltonian is not real, i don't know how to proceed.

Can anybody help?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
NicolaNorth said:
[...] orthonormality of the hamiltonian when it is real but am struggling to work out how to prove it when the hamiltonian is not real.
I suspect you're using the term "orthonormality" incorrectly in this context. Did you perhaps mean "Hermitian", or maybe "self-adjoint"? (Try looking up these terms on Wikipedia if they're not familiar...)

It's a bit hard to help when the problem is not clearly stated. (BTW, if this is homework it belongs over in the homework forums... :-)

Thanks for the reply.

It is not homework, but exam revision. Is that ok in this part of the forums?

I think maybe i did not correctly explain the problem?

We proved orthonormality for the eigenstates of the hamiltonian when assuming H is real and then the lecturer said that we would need to be able to do this when H is not real.

To prove it we considered

<ψm|H|ψn> = En<ψm|ψn> and <ψn|H|ψm> = En<ψn|ψm>

and then took the complex conjugate of the second equation and subtracted it from the first eqn.

The LHS equaled zero as Hmn=(Hnm)complex conj

Does that make more sense?

I am aware of how to prove that the Hamiltonian is Hermitian as this is something else we have covered, but maybe i misunderstood the lecturer?

Thanks

NicolaNorth said:
It is not homework, but exam revision. Is that ok in this part of the forums?
Not sure. I'll leave it to the moderators to move this thread if they wish.

We proved orthonormality for the eigenstates of the hamiltonian when assuming H is real and then the lecturer said that we would need to be able to do this when H is not real.
A slightly more correct (and generalized) version of the theorem is that eigenstates of a self-adjoint operator A corresponding to distinct eigenvalues are orthogonal. "Hermitian" is the finite-dimensional (matrix) version of "self-adjoint". The latter applies to more general operators (e.g., derivatives) which are not ordinary matrices.

The proof is a one-liner, once you understand the (abstract) meaning of "adjoint" and "self-adjoint", and also that eigenvalues of a self-adjoint operator are real (which also has a 1-line proof).
(Textbooks such as Isham, or Ballentine can probably help there.)
[tex]
\def\<{\langle}
\def\>{\rangle}
(a-b) \, \<\psi_a|\psi_b\>
~=~ a\,\<\psi_a|\psi_b\> - b\<\psi_a|\psi_b\>
~=~ \<A\psi_a|\psi_b\> - \<\psi_a|A\psi_b\>
~=~ \<\psi_a|A\psi_b\> - \<\psi_a|A\psi_b\>
~=~ 0 ~,
[/tex]
implying [itex]\<\psi_a|\psi_b\> = 0[/itex] since a,b were assumed distinct.

Which textbook(s) is your lecturer using?

What is the concept of orthonormality in the context of the Hamiltonian?

In quantum mechanics, orthonormality refers to the property of a set of vectors being both orthogonal (perpendicular) and normalized (unit length). In the context of the Hamiltonian, orthonormality ensures that the eigenstates of the Hamiltonian are mutually orthogonal and have unit norm.

Why is the proof of orthonormality important in the case of non-real Hamiltonians?

In the case of non-real Hamiltonians, orthonormality is crucial for ensuring the validity of quantum mechanical calculations and predictions. It ensures that the Hamiltonian is Hermitian, which is a fundamental requirement for quantum systems to exhibit physically meaningful behavior.

How is the proof of orthonormality different for non-real Hamiltonians compared to real Hamiltonians?

The proof of orthonormality for non-real Hamiltonians is more complex and involves the use of complex conjugates and Hermitian operators. This is because non-real Hamiltonians contain complex-valued elements, which require additional steps in the proof to ensure that the resulting eigenstates are orthonormal.

What challenges are faced when trying to prove orthonormality for non-real Hamiltonians?

One of the main challenges is dealing with the complex nature of the Hamiltonian and its eigenstates. This requires a more rigorous mathematical approach and a thorough understanding of complex numbers and operators. Additionally, the proof may also involve more complex calculations and manipulations compared to the proof for real Hamiltonians.

Are there any specific techniques or methods used in the proof of orthonormality for non-real Hamiltonians?

Yes, there are several techniques and methods used in the proof of orthonormality for non-real Hamiltonians, such as the use of complex conjugates, Hermitian operators, and the Gram-Schmidt process. These methods help to simplify the proof and ensure that the resulting eigenstates are orthonormal.