Understanding QM Proof: Wavefunction in Orthonormal Eigenfunctions

In summary, the notation u_j(r) represents the coordinate space representation of the eigenstate |E_j \rangle, while |E_j \rangle itself is a vector in Hilbert space.
Silviu
Hello! I have a proof in my QM book that: ##\left<r|e^{-iHt}|r'\right> = \sum_j e^{-iHt} u_j(r)u_j^*(r')##, where, for a wavefunction ##\psi(r,t)##, ##u_j## 's are the orthonormal eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian and ##|r>## is the coordinate space representation of ##\psi##. I am not sure I understand this. Like in general ##\psi = \sum_j a_j u_j## and I don't know where the ##a_j##'s disappeared. Also I am not sure what is the relation between ##u_j(r)## and ##u_j(r')##. Is there any formula linking them? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have a look at the following and check if you understand it. Note what happens with the exponent - you got this wrong in your post.
##
\begin{eqnarray*}
\langle r|e^{-iHt}|r'\rangle &=& \langle r|e^{-iHt} \left( \sum_j |E_j\rangle \langle E_j| \right) |r'\rangle\\
&=& \langle r| \sum_j e^{-iHt} |E_j\rangle \langle E_j |r'\rangle\\
&=& \langle r| \sum_j e^{-iE_jt} |E_j\rangle \langle E_j |r'\rangle\\
&=& \sum_j e^{-iE_jt} \langle r|E_j\rangle \langle E_j|r' \rangle\\
&=& \sum_j e^{-iE_jt} u_j(r) u_j^{*}(r')
\end{eqnarray*}
##

Likes vanhees71 and BvU
kith said:
Have a look at the following and check if you understand it. Note what happens with the exponent - you got this wrong in your post.
##
\begin{eqnarray*}
\langle r|e^{-iHt}|r'\rangle &=& \langle r|e^{-iHt} \left( \sum_j |E_j\rangle \langle E_j| \right) |r'\rangle\\
&=& \langle r| \sum_j e^{-iHt} |E_j\rangle \langle E_j |r'\rangle\\
&=& \langle r| \sum_j e^{-iE_jt} |E_j\rangle \langle E_j |r'\rangle\\
&=& \sum_j e^{-iE_jt} \langle r|E_j\rangle \langle E_j|r' \rangle\\
&=& \sum_j e^{-iE_jt} u_j(r) u_j^{*}(r')
\end{eqnarray*}
##
Thank you for your reply. I understand the logic of it. However I am a bit confused. From what I see ##\|E_j>## is an eigenfunction of the hamiltonian, but ##u_j## is that, too. What is the difference between them?

[itex]|E_j \rangle[/itex] is an eigenstate of the Hamiltonian, i.e. it is a vector in Hilbert space.

[itex]u_j(r) = \langle r | E_j \rangle[/itex] is a representation of the state [itex]|E_j \rangle[/itex] which uses the position basis. You can use many different bases to represent the same state vector. [itex]\tilde u_j(p) = \langle p | E_j \rangle[/itex] for example uses the momentum basis and refers to the same state [itex]|E_j \rangle[/itex].

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71

1. What is a wavefunction in QM proof?

A wavefunction in QM proof is a mathematical representation of the state of a quantum system. It describes the probability of finding a particle at a specific position or with a specific momentum. It is a complex-valued function that satisfies the Schrödinger equation.

2. What are orthonormal eigenfunctions?

Orthonormal eigenfunctions are a set of functions that are orthogonal (perpendicular) to each other and have a magnitude of 1. They are used in QM proof to represent the different states of a quantum system. These eigenfunctions are solutions to the Schrödinger equation and can be used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a specific state.

3. How are wavefunctions and eigenfunctions related?

Wavefunctions and eigenfunctions are closely related in QM proof. A wavefunction can be expressed as a linear combination of orthonormal eigenfunctions. This means that the eigenfunctions form a basis for the wavefunction, and any wavefunction can be written as a sum of these eigenfunctions with different coefficients.

4. What is the significance of orthonormal eigenfunctions in QM proof?

Orthonormal eigenfunctions play a crucial role in QM proof. They are used to represent the different states of a quantum system and can be used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a specific state. They also form a basis for the wavefunction, allowing for the representation of any wavefunction as a sum of these eigenfunctions.

5. How does the concept of superposition relate to the wavefunction in QM proof?

The concept of superposition is closely related to the wavefunction in QM proof. Superposition refers to the ability of quantum systems to exist in multiple states simultaneously. The wavefunction represents the probability of finding a particle in a specific state, and the concept of superposition allows for the combination of these probabilities to represent the overall state of a quantum system.