Proof of Plancherel for quantum

In summary, the Plancherel theorem is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to describe the relationship between a function in real space and its corresponding function in Fourier space. It allows for the calculation of important quantities such as the energy spectrum and probability distribution of a quantum system. The proof of the theorem involves using the properties of the Fourier transform and the wave function, and it has limitations in its application to quantum systems with an infinite number of dimensions and non-square-integrable wave functions. However, the Plancherel theorem is still significant in providing a way to analyze the properties of a system in terms of its wave function and momentum-space wave function.
Leumas13
So, I've been asked to show that
f(x)=Ʃn=0 [ansin(nπx/a) + bncos(nπx/a)

is equivalent to f(x)=Ʃn=-∞ cneinx/a

I'm kinda stuck. i want to turn this into the exponential form but I don't see how to condense this into a single term.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, Solved

Use the substitution that sinu = 0.5i (e^iu -e^-iu) and the equivalent for cosine and shift the register of the summation.

What is the Plancherel theorem in quantum mechanics?

The Plancherel theorem in quantum mechanics is a mathematical tool used to describe the relationship between a function in real space and its corresponding function in Fourier space. It states that the integral of the squared modulus of a function in real space is equal to the integral of the squared modulus of its Fourier transform.

How does the Plancherel theorem relate to quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the Plancherel theorem is used to describe the properties of a quantum system in terms of its wave function and its corresponding momentum-space wave function. This allows for the calculation of important quantities such as the energy spectrum and the probability distribution of a quantum system.

What is the proof of the Plancherel theorem for quantum systems?

The proof of the Plancherel theorem for quantum systems involves using the properties of the Fourier transform and the wave function to show that the integral of the squared modulus of the wave function in real space is equal to the integral of the squared modulus of its Fourier transform. This proof relies on the assumption that the wave function is square-integrable.

What is the significance of the Plancherel theorem in quantum mechanics?

The Plancherel theorem is significant in quantum mechanics as it allows for the translation of important physical quantities from real space to momentum space. This is particularly useful in the study of quantum systems, as it provides a way to analyze the properties of a system in terms of its wave function and its corresponding momentum-space wave function.

Are there any limitations to the Plancherel theorem in quantum mechanics?

The Plancherel theorem has some limitations in its application to quantum systems. One limitation is that it only applies to systems with a finite number of dimensions, making it less useful for studying systems with an infinite number of dimensions. Additionally, the theorem assumes that the wave function is square-integrable, which may not be the case for all quantum systems.