Proof of the commutator ## [P^2,P_\mu]=0 ##

In summary, the conversation discusses how to verify the correctness of a proof by showing that two operators, P^2 and P_mu, commute. This can be done by expanding P^nu = g^nu alpha P_alpha and using the fact that g^nu alpha is just a number and can be brought out of the commutator. The last step is confirmed to be correct. Additionally, it is mentioned that in general, if A commutes with B and C, then A also commutes with BC.
RicardoMP
Homework Statement
I want to prove that the Casimir operator of the Poincaré algebra ## P^2 ## satisfies ## [P^2,P_\mu]=0 ##.
Relevant Equations
The most relevant equation is ## [P_\mu,P_\nu]=0##.
I want to make certain that my proof is correct:
Since ## P^2 = P_\nu P^\nu=P^\nu P_\nu ##, then ## [P^2,P_\mu]=[P^\nu P_\nu,P_\mu]=P^\nu[P_\nu,P_\mu]+[P^\nu,P_\mu]P_\nu=[P^\nu,P_\mu]P_\nu=g^{\nu\alpha}[P_\alpha,P_\mu]P_\nu=0 ##, since ## g^{\nu\alpha} ## is just a number, I can bring it out of the commutator, thus giving me the desired result. Is this last step correct?

Likes JD_PM and PhDeezNutz
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks good to me. You could also simply expand ##P^{\nu} = g^{\nu \alpha}P_{\alpha}## to see that ##P^{\nu}## and ##P_{\mu}## commute. And, in general, if ##A## commutes with ##B## and ##C## then ##A## commutes with ##BC##.

Likes RicardoMP, JD_PM, Abhishek11235 and 1 other person

1. What is the commutator in this equation?

The commutator in this equation is the mathematical operation that determines how two operators, P^2 and P_mu, interact with each other. It is represented by the brackets [ , ] and is used to calculate the difference between the two operators.

2. Why is it important for the commutator to equal zero?

When the commutator equals zero, it means that the two operators, P^2 and P_mu, commute or can be interchanged without affecting the result. This is important because it allows for the operators to be used in different orders without changing the outcome, making calculations and equations easier to work with.

3. What does this equation tell us about the operators P^2 and P_mu?

This equation tells us that the operators P^2 and P_mu are compatible or can be used together without affecting the result. It also indicates that these operators are related in some way, as their commutator is equal to zero.

4. How is this equation used in physics?

In physics, this equation is used to describe the behavior of physical systems and particles. It is often used in quantum mechanics to calculate the energy and momentum of particles, as well as to determine the properties of physical systems.

5. Can this equation be applied to other operators?

Yes, this equation can be applied to other operators in a similar way. The commutator is a fundamental concept in mathematics and physics, and is used to determine the compatibility and relationship between different operators and equations.