Proof of the commutator ## [P^2,P_\mu]=0 ##

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
RicardoMP
Messages
48
Reaction score
2
Homework Statement
I want to prove that the Casimir operator of the Poincaré algebra ## P^2 ## satisfies ## [P^2,P_\mu]=0 ##.
Relevant Equations
The most relevant equation is ## [P_\mu,P_\nu]=0##.
I want to make certain that my proof is correct:
Since ## P^2 = P_\nu P^\nu=P^\nu P_\nu ##, then ## [P^2,P_\mu]=[P^\nu P_\nu,P_\mu]=P^\nu[P_\nu,P_\mu]+[P^\nu,P_\mu]P_\nu=[P^\nu,P_\mu]P_\nu=g^{\nu\alpha}[P_\alpha,P_\mu]P_\nu=0 ##, since ## g^{\nu\alpha} ## is just a number, I can bring it out of the commutator, thus giving me the desired result. Is this last step correct?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: JD_PM and PhDeezNutz
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks good to me. You could also simply expand ##P^{\nu} = g^{\nu \alpha}P_{\alpha}## to see that ##P^{\nu}## and ##P_{\mu}## commute. And, in general, if ##A## commutes with ##B## and ##C## then ##A## commutes with ##BC##.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: RicardoMP, JD_PM, Abhishek11235 and 1 other person