Proof of the equality of men through induction.

In summary, the man n is created equal to man n-1 and the man 0 is created equal to man 0. The statement "all men are created equal" is a philosophical statement rather then a mathematical one.
Physicist7
Hey guys,

I was wondering is it possible to prove the statement , that "All men are created equal" through the proof method of induction. If so how?, if not, why? I just don't know where to begin. This course is a killer. I am attending the Univeristy of Toronto for my first year and the math is very different then high school, and the first year Calc course is actually called Analysis I where we use Michael Spivaks book. It is different and so I am struggling but I don't want to give up! Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Basically how would I approach this problem?

Nothing eh?

I'll give it a try...

Statement: S(n) = The man n is created equal to man n-1 and the man 0 is created equal to man 0.

Basis: S(0) = The man 0 is created equal to man 0. Correct.
S(1) = The man 1 is created equal to man 0. Correct.

Induction: S(n+1) = S(n)
The man n+1 is created equal to man n. = The man n is created equal to man n-1.
The man n+1 is created equal to man n. = The man n-1 is created equal to man n.
The man (n+1+n-1) is created equal to man (n+n).
The man 2n is created equal to man 2n. Correct.

I don't think that is totally correct but hmm...its what I could come up with at the moment :smile:

Hmm I think that's getting me somewhere though. Thanks cefarix, I appreciate it!

Are you guys serious??! Isn't the statement "all men are created equal" a philosophical statement rather then a mathematical one?? Surely there is no mathematical argument you can use to prove that just because the first k men were created equal, that this somehow emplied the (k+1)st man is equal to one of the 1st k?? What does it mean for men to be equal anyway?
:confused: :confused:

1. What is "Proof of the equality of men through induction"?

"Proof of the equality of men through induction" is a theory that suggests that all human beings are fundamentally equal in their abilities, worth, and rights. It is based on the concept of induction, which is the process of using specific observations to make a general conclusion or rule.

2. How does induction support the idea of equality among men?

Induction involves using evidence and observations to make a general conclusion. When applied to human beings, this means that we should look at the commonalities and similarities among all individuals rather than focusing on differences. This supports the idea that all men are fundamentally equal in their abilities and worth.

3. Is there any scientific evidence to support the equality of men through induction?

Yes, there have been numerous studies in fields such as psychology, anthropology, and genetics that have shown that all human beings possess similar cognitive abilities, emotions, and biological traits. This supports the idea of equality among men through induction.

4. Can induction be used to prove the equality of men in society?

Induction can provide evidence for the idea of equality among men, but it cannot be used as a definitive proof. There are many social and cultural factors that can affect the perception of equality in society, and these cannot be fully explained through induction alone.

5. What are the implications of the "Proof of the equality of men through induction" theory?

The implications of this theory are that all individuals should be treated with equal rights and opportunities, regardless of their race, gender, or other characteristics. It also emphasizes the importance of looking at the similarities among individuals rather than focusing on differences. Ultimately, the goal is to promote a more inclusive and equal society for all.