Proof of transpositions

In summary, a cycle of length l can be written as a product of l-1 transpositions, therefore if α = τ_1 · · · τ_s, where τ_i are transpositions, then s geq l − 1.
MellyVG257

Homework Statement

Let α (alpha) all in S_n be a cycle of length l. Prove that if α = τ_1 · · · τ_s, where τ_i are transpositions, then s geq l − 1.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I was actually looking for is where to start with this proof. I don't want the answer, just a push in what direction I should be heading in. This is my trouble with proofs, I usually have no idea where to start.

I've been told in the past to start with definitions of what is given to you in the question.

A transposition is a permutation (bijective function of X onto itself) f, such that there exist i,j such that f(a_i) = a_j, f(a_j) = a_i and f(a_k) = a_k for all other k.

I know that "l" is the length of the cycle.

I also know that I want to somehow show that s is greater than l - 1 cycles. Does this mean I need to find out or show that any l cycle can be written as a product of l-1 cycles? Sorry, I'm just having a hard time with understanding this one.

But I don't see how this helps me. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi MellyVG257! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a geq: ≤ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

For example, (1,2,3,4,5) = (1,2)(2,3)(3,4)(4,5)

but also = (1,2)(2,4)(4,5)(3,5)(2,5)

1. What is proof of transpositions?

Proof of transpositions is a mathematical concept used to show that two elements can be swapped or interchanged without changing the overall structure or outcome of a problem or equation.

2. How is proof of transpositions used in science?

In science, proof of transpositions is often used in the fields of genetics, chemistry, and physics to demonstrate that certain elements or variables can be switched without altering the final result or conclusion of an experiment.

3. What is an example of proof of transpositions in biology?

An example of proof of transpositions in biology is the concept of codon degeneracy, where different combinations of nucleotides can code for the same amino acid in a protein sequence without changing its overall function.

4. Can proof of transpositions be used in other areas besides science?

Yes, proof of transpositions can also be applied in fields such as computer science, linguistics, and music theory to show that different elements or components can be rearranged without changing the overall structure or meaning.

5. What are the benefits of using proof of transpositions?

The use of proof of transpositions allows for simpler and more efficient problem-solving and analysis, as it eliminates the need to consider each element or variable individually and instead focuses on their interchangeable properties.