1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

##S_p## generated by any transposition and p-cycle

1. May 26, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let ##p## be prime. Show that ##S_p = \langle \tau, \sigma##, where ##\tau## is any transposition and ##\sigma## any ##p##-cycle.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I read somewhere that it suffices to prove this for ##\sigma = (1,2,...,p)##. Intuitively, this is clear, but I want to justify this. Let ##\sigma = (x_1,.x_2,...,x_p)##. Let ##f : \{1,...,p\} \to \{1,...,p\}## be defined ##f(x_i) = i## and fixes everything else. It seems that we need to show that ##S_p = \langle \tau, \sigma \rangle## if and only if ##S_p = \langle f \tau, f \sigma \rangle##, which can be proven by showing ##\langle f \tau , f \sigma \rangle = f \langle \tau, \sigma \rangle##, in order to justify this reduction.

Showing ##\langle f \tau , f \sigma \rangle \subseteq f \langle \tau, \sigma \rangle## is rather simple, but I am having trouble with the other inclusion. I am probably overlooking some trivial fact. I could use a hint.

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

What is ##\langle f\tau,f\sigma \rangle## after you managed to prove the result for ##(1,\ldots ,p)\,##?

4. May 26, 2017 #3
    I was thinking that ##\langle gx,gy \rangle = \langle g \langle x,y \rangle## was a result that held for all groups. Is that not true? I should have specified that I would like to prove that it is true for all groups.

5. May 26, 2017 #4

fresh_42

This is not what I meant. Far simpler than this. I asked basically: What are ##f \tau## and ##f \sigma##, what do they look like? And then, if you managed to prove the result in the special case of transposition and ##p-##cycle ##(1,\ldots ,p)##, what is ##\langle f\tau , f \sigma \rangle## for a subgroup?

6. May 26, 2017 #5
    Well, ##f \tau## would just be some transposition and ##f \sigma## would give us back ##(x_1,...,x_p)##, right?

7. May 26, 2017 #6

fresh_42

Yes. Since we have no further condition on the transposition used, we can use ##\tau## as well as ##f \tau##. It makes no difference for "any".
    O.k., beside of the part "fixes everything else" which I don't see why you want to have this, yourself has defined ##\sigma = (x_1,x_2, \ldots,x_p)## so I assumed ##f \sigma = (1, \ldots ,p)##. I thought this was the formal notation for renumbering the elements, which we actually want to do. Now assume we have proven, that ##S_p## is generated by some transposition ##f \tau ## and the ##p-##cycle ##f \sigma = (1,\ldots ,p)##. This makes ##\langle f\tau , f \sigma \rangle = S_p##. You further have said
    which leaves us with the situation ##S_p=\langle f \tau , f \sigma \rangle \subseteq f \langle \tau, \sigma \rangle## rather simple and I simply wanted to point you to
    $$
    f \langle \tau, \sigma \rangle \subseteq S_p = \langle f \tau , f \sigma \rangle
    $$ is by far even simpler!

8. May 29, 2017 #7
    I think there might be a problem. ##f \langle \tau, \sigma## is a left-coset and therefore isn't generally a group. So, even though ##f \langle \tau, \sigma \rangle## contains the generators ##f \tau## and ##f \sigma##, this doesn't necessarily imply that it contains ##\langle f \tau, f \sigma##.

At this point, I am not sure how to fix the proof.

9. Jun 6, 2017 #8

fresh_42

I'm not sure what you mean. ##f\langle \tau, \sigma \rangle = \{fg\,\vert \,g \in \langle \tau, \sigma \rangle\}##. I haven't checked your "rather simple" part, but as ##S_p## is the entire group, it contains of course its elements ##fg##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted