##S_p## generated by any transposition and p-cycle

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
In summary: I'm not sure what you mean. ##f\langle \tau, \sigma \rangle = \{fg\,\vert \,g \in \langle \tau, \sigma \rangle\}##. I haven't checked your "rather simple" part, but as ##S_p## is the entire group, it contains of course its elements ##fg##.In summary, the conversation is about proving that for any prime p, the group S_p can be generated by a transposition and a p-cycle. The conversation involves discussing the intuition behind this and justifying the reduction to proving it for the specific case of a transposition and (1,...,p). The final part of the conversation involves trying to prove the result
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Let ##p## be prime. Show that ##S_p = \langle \tau, \sigma##, where ##\tau## is any transposition and ##\sigma## any ##p##-cycle.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I read somewhere that it suffices to prove this for ##\sigma = (1,2,...,p)##. Intuitively, this is clear, but I want to justify this. Let ##\sigma = (x_1,.x_2,...,x_p)##. Let ##f : \{1,...,p\} \to \{1,...,p\}## be defined ##f(x_i) = i## and fixes everything else. It seems that we need to show that ##S_p = \langle \tau, \sigma \rangle## if and only if ##S_p = \langle f \tau, f \sigma \rangle##, which can be proven by showing ##\langle f \tau , f \sigma \rangle = f \langle \tau, \sigma \rangle##, in order to justify this reduction.

Showing ##\langle f \tau , f \sigma \rangle \subseteq f \langle \tau, \sigma \rangle## is rather simple, but I am having trouble with the other inclusion. I am probably overlooking some trivial fact. I could use a hint.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is ##\langle f\tau,f\sigma \rangle## after you managed to prove the result for ##(1,\ldots ,p)\,##?

fresh_42 said:
What is ##\langle f\tau,f\sigma \rangle## after you managed to prove the result for ##(1,\ldots ,p)\,##?

I was thinking that ##\langle gx,gy \rangle = \langle g \langle x,y \rangle## was a result that held for all groups. Is that not true? I should have specified that I would like to prove that it is true for all groups.

Bashyboy said:
I was thinking that ##\langle gx,gy \rangle = \langle g \langle x,y \rangle## was a result that held for all groups. Is that not true? I should have specified that I would like to prove that it is true for all groups.
This is not what I meant. Far simpler than this. I asked basically: What are ##f \tau## and ##f \sigma##, what do they look like? And then, if you managed to prove the result in the special case of transposition and ##p-##cycle ##(1,\ldots ,p)##, what is ##\langle f\tau , f \sigma \rangle## for a subgroup?

Well, ##f \tau## would just be some transposition and ##f \sigma## would give us back ##(x_1,...,x_p)##, right?

Bashyboy said:
Well, ##f \tau## would just be some transposition
Yes. Since we have no further condition on the transposition used, we can use ##\tau## as well as ##f \tau##. It makes no difference for "any".
... and ##f \sigma## would give us back ##(x_1,...,x_p)##, right?
Bashyboy said:
Let ##\sigma = (x_1,.x_2,...,x_p)##. Let ##f : \{1,...,p\} \to \{1,...,p\}## be defined ##f(x_i) = i## and fixes everything else.
O.k., beside of the part "fixes everything else" which I don't see why you want to have this, yourself has defined ##\sigma = (x_1,x_2, \ldots,x_p)## so I assumed ##f \sigma = (1, \ldots ,p)##. I thought this was the formal notation for renumbering the elements, which we actually want to do. Now assume we have proven, that ##S_p## is generated by some transposition ##f \tau ## and the ##p-##cycle ##f \sigma = (1,\ldots ,p)##. This makes ##\langle f\tau , f \sigma \rangle = S_p##. You further have said
Bashyboy said:
Showing ##\langle f \tau , f \sigma \rangle \subseteq f \langle \tau, \sigma \rangle## is rather simple.
which leaves us with the situation ##S_p=\langle f \tau , f \sigma \rangle \subseteq f \langle \tau, \sigma \rangle## rather simple and I simply wanted to point you to
$$
f \langle \tau, \sigma \rangle \subseteq S_p = \langle f \tau , f \sigma \rangle
$$ is by far even simpler!

fresh_42 said:
Yes. Since we have no further condition on the transposition used, we can use ##\tau## as well as ##f \tau##. It makes no difference for "any".O.k., beside of the part "fixes everything else" which I don't see why you want to have this, yourself has defined ##\sigma = (x_1,x_2, \ldots,x_p)## so I assumed ##f \sigma = (1, \ldots ,p)##. I thought this was the formal notation for renumbering the elements, which we actually want to do. Now assume we have proven, that ##S_p## is generated by some transposition ##f \tau ## and the ##p-##cycle ##f \sigma = (1,\ldots ,p)##. This makes ##\langle f\tau , f \sigma \rangle = S_p##. You further have said

which leaves us with the situation ##S_p=\langle f \tau , f \sigma \rangle \subseteq f \langle \tau, \sigma \rangle## rather simple and I simply wanted to point you to
$$
f \langle \tau, \sigma \rangle \subseteq S_p = \langle f \tau , f \sigma \rangle
$$ is by far even simpler!

I think there might be a problem. ##f \langle \tau, \sigma## is a left-coset and therefore isn't generally a group. So, even though ##f \langle \tau, \sigma \rangle## contains the generators ##f \tau## and ##f \sigma##, this doesn't necessarily imply that it contains ##\langle f \tau, f \sigma##.

At this point, I am not sure how to fix the proof.

Bashyboy said:
I think there might be a problem. ##f \langle \tau, \sigma## is a left-coset and therefore isn't generally a group. So, even though ##f \langle \tau, \sigma \rangle## contains the generators ##f \tau## and ##f \sigma##, this doesn't necessarily imply that it contains ##\langle f \tau, f \sigma##.

At this point, I am not sure how to fix the proof.
I'm not sure what you mean. ##f\langle \tau, \sigma \rangle = \{fg\,\vert \,g \in \langle \tau, \sigma \rangle\}##. I haven't checked your "rather simple" part, but as ##S_p## is the entire group, it contains of course its elements ##fg##.

Related to ##S_p## generated by any transposition and p-cycle

1. What is the order of ##S_p## generated by any transposition and p-cycle?

The order of ##S_p## generated by any transposition and p-cycle is p+1.

2. How many elements does ##S_p## generated by any transposition and p-cycle have?

##S_p## generated by any transposition and p-cycle has p! elements.

3. Can ##S_p## generated by any transposition and p-cycle be written as a direct product of subgroups?

Yes, ##S_p## generated by any transposition and p-cycle can be written as a direct product of the cyclic groups generated by each individual element.

4. Is ##S_p## generated by any transposition and p-cycle a normal subgroup of ##S_{p+1}##?

No, ##S_p## generated by any transposition and p-cycle is not a normal subgroup of ##S_{p+1}##. It is a conjugate subgroup of ##S_{p+1}##.

5. How does the structure of ##S_p## generated by any transposition and p-cycle compare to other subgroups of ##S_p##?

The structure of ##S_p## generated by any transposition and p-cycle is different from other subgroups of ##S_p##. It is a non-cyclic subgroup with elements of both even and odd permutations.