1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of Uniqueness of Non-Identity Commuting Element in D_2n

1. Jul 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If ##n = 2k## is even and ##n \ge 4##, show that ##z = r^k## is an element of order 2 which commutes with all elements of ##D_{2n}##. Show also that ##z## is the only nonidentity element of ##D_{2n}## which commutes with all elements of ##D_{2n}##.

2. Relevant equations
    The question also says to use this previously-proven result: If ##x## is an element of finite order ##n## in a group ##G, n = 2k##, and ##1 \le i < n##, then ##x^i = x^{-i}## if and only if ##i = k.##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have managed to show everything except the uniqueness of such an element (which is normally the easy part!). I know that I need to assume that another such element exists, and use this assumption to show that this element is in fact ##z##, giving a contradiction. However, I am struggling to generate such a contradiction; I always seem to end up with trivial equations of the type ##1 = 1## (where ##1## is the identity). I think I just need a quick hint as to how to generate my contradiction.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Take an element ##r^a s^b## in ##D_{2n}##. Thus, we have ##1\leq a\leq n## and ##b = 0,1## that commutes with every element.

So take an arbitrary element ##r^x s^y##. Then we have

[tex]r^a s^b r^x s^y = r^x s^y r^a s^b[/tex]

Try to write both sides of the above equation in the form ##r^q s^p##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted