Proof Problem: Show f(x-1)=f(x) for All x ∈ E

• Thread starter Cyannaca
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the problem asks for a proof that if x*x is in the set Ker(f), then f(x*x) is 1_F. The proof is very simple, and is actually done in the text.
Cyannaca
I would really appreciate if anyone could help me with this problem.

F is a group homomorphism from G= (E, *) to H= (F,#).
If , for all x e E , x*x e ker(f).
Show that for all x e E, f(x-1)=f(x)

Now I don't know how I should start the proof. Also, I would like to know if I can assume that Ker(f) is equal to the identity element.

Physics news on Phys.org
If [itex]x*x \in Ker(f)[/itex] then this means precisely that [itex]f(x*x) = 1_F[/itex] where [itex]1_F[/itex] is the identity element of H. You want to show something like:

[tex]f(x*y) = f(x)#f(y)[/tex]

and

[tex]f(x^{-1}) = (f(x))^{-1}[/tex]

In fact, you probably already have these proved somewhere. If you do, then use them and the rest should be very simple. Actually, I don't remember the definitions, but I have a feeling that the first thing (that f(x*y) = f(x)#f(y)) might just be a property of homomorphisms. The second property follows from the first at least in the case where x*x is in Ker(f), and probably in general too.

You've got F as a homomorphism, and the underlying set of H (at least that's what I presume H=(F,#) means. Usually there is no reason to distinguish the group from its elements like that. Also, if you're not going to tex it then it's common to indicate inverses by putting the minus 1 in an exponent, since x-1 doesn't really make sense for a group. You may not assume ker(f) is the identity element, since that is saying f is an injection which is not given.

From the definition y in ker f iff f(y)=e conclude something about f(xx), and use AKG's stuff above which is the (usual) definitoin of what a homomorphism is.

And remember showing that y is the inverse of x is showing exactly that xy=yx=e.

Matt, I believe he/she meant f (lower case) to be the homomorphism, and F to be the set underlying group H.

Is that what the guy is talking about, F(x-1) is actually F(x^(-1))? Just written differently? No wonder the problem look mysterious! This is a completely simple problem now that it is written so it can be read! If F(x*x) goes to 1, then x is its own inverse, since by group property there can be only a unique inverse.

You got to be careful about how you write the inverse if you use a calculator, you know!

Last edited:

1. What exactly does the statement "f(x-1)=f(x) for All x ∈ E" mean?

This statement means that for any value of x that belongs to the set E, the function f will have the same output for both x and x-1. In other words, the function's output is equal at any point and the point that is one unit less than that.

2. What is the significance of proving this statement?

Proving this statement shows that the function f is symmetric about the x-axis. This can help in understanding the behavior and properties of the function, which can be useful in many applications.

3. Can this statement be proved using mathematical induction?

Yes, this statement can be proved using mathematical induction. Induction is a proof technique that is commonly used to prove statements about all natural numbers. In this case, the set E can be treated as the set of natural numbers, and the base case and inductive step can be used to prove the statement for all values of x in E.

4. Is it necessary for E to be a specific type of set for this statement to hold true?

No, the statement "f(x-1)=f(x) for All x ∈ E" does not depend on the type of set E. As long as the set E contains values that can be plugged into the function f, the statement will hold true.

5. How can this statement be applied to real-world problems?

This statement can be applied to real-world problems in various fields such as physics, economics, and computer science. For example, in physics, this statement can be used to prove the conservation of energy in a system. In economics, it can be used to analyze the relationship between cost and quantity. In computer science, it can be applied to algorithms and data structures to ensure that they are symmetric and efficient.