Proof: Proving Klein 4 Group is Not Isomorphic to ##Z_4##

In summary, the Klein 4 group and ##Z_4## group are not isomorphic. This is because while the Klein group has four elements of order 2 and 1 element of order 1, ##Z_4## group has 1 element of order 1, 2 elements of order 2, and 1 element of order 4.
LagrangeEuler

Homework Statement

Prove that Klein 4 group is not isomorphic with ##Z_4##.

Homework Equations

Klein group has four elements ##\{e,a,b,c\}## such that ##e^2=e,a^2=e,b^2=e,c^2=e##
As far as I know ##Z_4## group is ##(\{\pm 1,\pm i\},\cdot)##. Right?

The Attempt at a Solution

As far as I know I can say group ##Z_4## is cyclic (all elements I could get as ##i^n,n=1,2,3,4##) and group and Klein group is not.
Q.E.D.
Is this correct prove?
Klein group has four element of order ##2##, and ##Z_4## group has one element of order ##4##, two element of order ##2## and one element of order one. Right?

Physics news on Phys.org
LagrangeEuler said:

Homework Statement

Prove that Klein 4 group is not isomorphic with ##Z_4##.

Homework Equations

Klein group has four elements ##\{e,a,b,c\}## such that ##e^2=e,a^2=e,b^2=e,c^2=e##
As far as I know ##Z_4## group is ##(\{\pm 1,\pm i\},\cdot)##. Right?

The Attempt at a Solution

As far as I know I can say group ##Z_4## is cyclic (all elements I could get as ##i^n,n=1,2,3,4##) and group and Klein group is not.
Q.E.D.
Is this correct prove?
Klein group has four element of order ##2##, and ##Z_4## group has one element of order ##4##, two element of order ##2## and one element of order one. Right?

Yes, that's a good proof. But you've got some problems with counting orders. ##e^1## is also equal to ##e##. Go back and count them carefully and say which elements have which orders.

So ##i^4=1=e## has order ##1##. ##i^2=-1## has order 2. ##i^3=-i## has order ##4## and ##i## has order ##4##.

LagrangeEuler said:
So ##i^4=1=e## has order ##1##. ##i^2=-1## has order 2. ##i^3=-i## has order ##4## and ##i## has order ##4##.

Yes, that's better. And the Klein group has 3 elements of order 2, and 1 element of order 1, yes?

Yes! Thanks!

1. How do you prove that the Klein 4 Group is not isomorphic to ##Z_4##?

To prove that two mathematical structures are not isomorphic, we need to show that there is no bijective homomorphism between them. In the case of the Klein 4 Group and ##Z_4##, we can show that there are certain properties that are preserved under isomorphism in one structure, but not in the other. This proves that they cannot be isomorphic.

2. What are the defining properties of the Klein 4 Group and ##Z_4##?

The Klein 4 Group is a group with four elements, denoted as {e, a, b, c}, where e is the identity element and a, b, c are all of order 2. ##Z_4## is a cyclic group with four elements, denoted as {0, 1, 2, 3}, where 0 is the identity element and the other elements have orders 4, 2, and 4 respectively.

3. Can the Klein 4 Group and ##Z_4## have the same Cayley table?

No, the Cayley table for the Klein 4 Group and ##Z_4## will be different. This is because the two structures have different operations and different identities. In the Klein 4 Group, the operation is defined as the symmetric difference of sets, while in ##Z_4##, the operation is defined as addition modulo 4.

4. Is there any other way to prove that the Klein 4 Group is not isomorphic to ##Z_4##?

Yes, another way to prove that two structures are not isomorphic is by looking at their subgroups. If two structures are isomorphic, their subgroups will also be isomorphic. However, in the case of the Klein 4 Group and ##Z_4##, their subgroups do not match, which also proves that they are not isomorphic.

5. Can a non-mathematician understand the proof for the non-isomorphism of the Klein 4 Group and ##Z_4##?

The proof for the non-isomorphism of the Klein 4 Group and ##Z_4## involves abstract concepts and mathematical notation, which may be difficult for a non-mathematician to understand. However, with some background knowledge in group theory and mathematical structures, one can grasp the main ideas of the proof.