Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof that Bessel functions tend to zero when x approaches infinity

1. Sep 6, 2011 #1
    I am aware that Bessel functions of any order [itex]p[/itex] are zero in the limit where x approaches infinity. From the formula of Bessel functions, I can't see why this is. The formula is:

[tex]J_p\left(x\right)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{\left(-1\right)^n}{\Gamma\left(n+1\right)\Gamma\left(n+1+p\right)}\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)^{2n+p}[/tex]

Does anyone know a proof of why this is? That is, why is it that

[tex]\lim_{x\to\infty}J_p\left(x\right)=0[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2011 #2

uart

Science Advisor

I don't a have proof right now, but you may find the following integral identity more useful in understanding the limiting behavior than the infinity sum identity you've been considering.

[tex]J_n(x) = \frac{1}{\pi} \int_0^\pi \cos (n \lambda - x \sin \lambda) d\lambda[/tex]

4. Sep 6, 2011 #3
    Have you considered the differential equation that the bessel functions solve?

5. Sep 8, 2011 #4
    Thanks for your help so far, but I'm still struggling with this one. From the representation of the Bessel function involving the integral, I still can't prove it.

Looking at Bessel's differential equation:
    [tex]x^2 \frac{d^2 y}{dx^2} + x \frac{dy}{dx} + (x^2 - p^2)y = 0[/tex]
    we can take the limit of this as x tneds to infinity, substitute [itex]J_p\left(x\right)[/itex] and divide by [itex]x^2[/itex], giving

[tex]\lim_{x\to\infty}J_{p}''\left(x\right)+\frac{J_{p}'\left(x\right)}{x} +\left(1-\frac{p^2}{x^2}\right)J_p\left(x\right)=0[/tex]

But now, to finish the proof, I'd need to show that [itex]J_{p}''\left(x\right)[/itex] goes to zero as x approaches infinity and that [itex]J_{p}'\left(x\right)[/itex] is finite. I'm not sure this approach is helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook