Proofing Euler's Phi Function.

In summary, the expression for ϕ(p²) is p(p-1) and this pattern can also be applied to ϕ(p^3) if p is a prime number. This can be explained by using the definition of phi, which states that ϕ(n) is the number of integers less than n that are relatively prime to n. If a number is not relatively prime to n, then it must be divisible by n. Therefore, for ϕ(p²), the numbers that are not relatively prime to p² are those that are divisible by p, which is p(p-1) numbers. This same pattern can be applied to ϕ(p^3) as well.
xWhiteyx
Generally, I am stumped by the Phi function. I have found out the pattern but I am having difficulty proving it.

Homework Statement

i) When p is a prime number, obtain an expression in terms of p for:-
ϕ(p²)

Homework Equations

ϕ(p)=p-1

The Attempt at a Solution

ϕ(p)=p-1
so ϕ(5)=4 therefore p²=5²=25 therefore ϕ(p²)=20
Also, if p=3 then ϕ(3)=2 therefore ϕ(9)=6

It appears that ϕ(p²)= p(p-1)

My problem is that I am not able to proof it. Yes, the pattern is p(p-1) but I am stuck as to how to explain it. Any soloutions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just use the definition of phi. phi(p^2) is the number of integers less than p^2 that are relatively prime to p^2. If a number is NOT relatively prime to p^2 then it must be divisible by p. How many numbers less than p^2 are divisible by p?

Dick said:
Just use the definition of phi. phi(p^2) is the number of integers less than p^2 that are relatively prime to p^2. If a number is NOT relatively prime to p^2 then it must be divisible by p. How many numbers less than p^2 are divisible by p?

But how would you then mvoe onto p^3? Would p^3 then be p(p(p-1) or am I wrong. If I take what you say which is that If a number is NOT relatively prime to p^2 then it must be divisible by p Then can I apply the same rule to p^3?

xWhiteyx said:
But how would you then mvoe onto p^3? Would p^3 then be p(p(p-1) or am I wrong. If I take what you say which is that If a number is NOT relatively prime to p^2 then it must be divisible by p Then can I apply the same rule to p^3?

Yes. You can apply the same rule to p^3 if p is prime.

1. What is Euler's Phi Function?

Euler's Phi function, also known as Euler's totient function, is a mathematical function that counts the number of positive integers less than or equal to a given integer that are relatively prime to that integer. It is denoted by the symbol φ.

2. Why is it important to prove Euler's Phi Function?

Proving Euler's Phi Function is important because it is a fundamental theorem in number theory and has various applications in cryptography, number theory, and other areas of mathematics. Additionally, understanding the proof of this function can lead to a better understanding of other related theorems and concepts.

3. What is the proof for Euler's Phi Function?

The proof for Euler's Phi Function involves using the concept of prime factorization and modular arithmetic. It can be shown that φ(n) = n × (1-1/p1) × (1-1/p2) × ... × (1-1/pk), where p1, p2, ..., pk are the distinct prime factors of n.

4. Can Euler's Phi Function be extended to other number systems?

Yes, Euler's Phi Function can be extended to other number systems, such as Gaussian integers, where it is known as the Gaussian totient function. It can also be extended to other algebraic structures, such as rings and fields.

5. Are there any open problems related to Euler's Phi Function?

Yes, there are several open problems related to Euler's Phi Function, such as finding efficient algorithms for computing the function, generalizing it to higher dimensions, and studying its behavior under different number theoretic operations. These problems continue to be explored by mathematicians and researchers.