Proofs involving Negations and Conditionals

In summary: The negation of the other symbols is:∧ becomes ∨ (or) and vice versa #∈ becomes ∉ and vice versa→ becomes ← (imply from or turn around) and vice versa∅ becomes U (all) and vice versa##\subset## becomes ##\supset## (is subset or is superset) and vice versa##\subseteq## becomes ##\supseteq## (is subset or is superset or equally large) and vice versaNote: The proposition of this thread was wrong from the beginning. It should have been:Suppose that A\B ∩ C = ∅ and x∈ A. Prove that if x∉ B then x
YamiBustamante
Suppose that A\B is disjoint from C and x∈ A . Prove that if x ∈ C then x ∈ B .

So I know that A\B∩C = ∅ which means A\B and C don't share any elements.
But I don't necessarily understand how to prove this. I heard I could use a contrapositive to solve it, but how do I set it up. Which is P and which is Q (for P implies Q, or as the contrapositive: not Q implies not P)?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are looking to prove:
## (x \in C) \implies (x \in B) ##
The contrapositive is:
## ( x \notin B) \implies (x \notin C) ##
Your given (supposed) information will not change.

RUber said:
You are looking to prove:
## (x \in C) \implies (x \in B) ##
The contrapositive is:
## ( x \notin B) \implies (x \notin C) ##
Your given (supposed) information will not change.
So here is what I have:
If x∉B then x∉C
So, we can assume x∈A\B and since A\B and C are disjoined, then x∈A\B∩C which is true since x∉C. Would this be correct or is there any error in my logic?

YamiBustamante said:
So here is what I have:
If x∉B then x∉C
So, we can assume x∈A\B and since A\B and C are disjoined, then x∈A\B∩C which is true since x∉C. Would this be correct or is there any error in my logic?
I don't think you can say x∈A\B∩C, since you said above that that was the empty set. And, you should not use "since x∉C", because you are trying to prove this for the contrapositive.

x is in A. This was given.
If x is not in B, then, it is in A\B.
C is disjoint from A\B. This was given.
x in A\B should tell you what you need to know about C.

YamiBustamante said:
So here is what I have:
If x∉B then x∉C
No, that is NOT "what you have", it is you are trying to prove.

Simply that you have assumed what you want to prove!

I am interested too. I understand that A intersection C would be X. or written as:

A intersection C = ( X IS AN ELEMENT OF A) AND (X IS AN ELEMENT OF C)

[ A and NOT B] Intersection C = NULL = [[(X IS AN ELEMENT OF A) AND (X IS NOT AN ELEMENT OF B)]] AND (X IS AN ELEMENT OF C)

A/B intersection C ^^

this logical statement, i believe can be expanded below through commutative property to become:

[[(X IS AN ELEMENT OF A) AND (X IS AN ELEMENT OF C)]] AND [[(X IS NOT AN ELEMENT OF B) AND (X IS AN ELEMENT OF C)]]

^^ A intersection C intersection C/B = null set.
we already know that a intersection C is x..that intersection C AND NOT B is null means that C and NOT B contains x..therefore B contains X?
http://i.imgur.com/BkaBtjf.png

http://i.imgur.com/EKkKdFu.png

o_O sorry I really try to improve my maths

Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
Qouted from other thread.#.

HallsofIvy said:
No, that is NOT "what you have", it is you are trying to prove.
Simply that you have assumed what you want to prove!
is the above post of mine on the right track? ^^

Kilo Vectors said:
is the above post of mine on the right track? ^^
You are basically right but a little too expressive if you avoid the language of symbols.
First you have to be precise in the wording. NULL is a computer term reserved for, e.g. empty datasets. In mathematics a null set is something different. E.g. a single point as 1 on the line of reals is a null set. So tiny compared to the reals that it cannot be measured. In set theory we say empty set to ∅.

The proposed way of proving the statement was by contradiction.
It means that one cannot derive a false statement from a true statement.
From a false statement you can derive everything. E.g. if ##1 = 0## then for any number ##x## is ##x = x \cdot 1 = x \cdot 0 = 0## which means ##0## is the only number at all, which is false.
Or you can derive a true statement. E.g. if ##1=0## then ##1=1-0=0-0=0=1##, which is true.

However from a true statement you can only derive other true statements.

In the above statement it is given that ##A##\##B ∩ C = ∅## and ##x∈A## and ##x∈C## which is the same as ##x∈A∩C##.
We need to show that ##x∈B##.
So if we assume we have an element (##∃## meaning there is) ## x_0∉B## and end up with a false statement, then this assumption could not have been true.
The essential part is this: ##x_0∈A## (given) and ##x_0∉B## (assumed), i.e. ##x_0∈A##\##B##. But ##x_0∈C## (given) which means ##x_0∈A##\##B∩C.## But this intersection is empty so ##x_0## cannot exist. A contradiction, a false statement.
Therefore our assumption ##x_0∉B## must have been a false statement, too. This means the opposite of it is true. And the opposite statement is any (##∀## meaning for all) ##x∈B## what we wanted to show.

The negation of there is (∃) is for all (∀) and vice versa.

Likes Kilo Vectors

1. What is the definition of a negation in a proof?

A negation is a statement that is the opposite of the original statement. It is represented by the symbol "¬" and is used to show that a statement is false.

2. How do I prove a statement involving a negation?

To prove a statement involving a negation, you can use a proof by contradiction. This method involves assuming the negation of the statement and then showing that it leads to a contradiction. This proves that the original statement must be true.

3. Can a conditional statement be proven by contrapositive?

Yes, a conditional statement can be proven by contrapositive. This method involves proving the statement's contrapositive, which is formed by switching the hypothesis and conclusion and negating both. If the contrapositive is true, then the original statement must also be true.

4. What is the difference between a conditional and a biconditional statement?

A conditional statement, also known as an "if-then" statement, is a statement that asserts that if the hypothesis is true, then the conclusion must also be true. A biconditional statement, on the other hand, is a statement that asserts that the hypothesis and the conclusion are logically equivalent. This means that the truth of one statement guarantees the truth of the other.

5. How do I use the law of detachment in a proof?

The law of detachment is a rule of inference that allows you to make a conclusion from a conditional statement and its hypothesis. To use this law in a proof, you must first have a conditional statement and its hypothesis as given information. Then, you can use the hypothesis to prove the conclusion of the statement.