Proove there is an x s.t. x^3+x=6

• Thread starter jrsweet
  • Start date
In summary, to show that there is an x∈R such that x^3+x=6, we can use the Intermediate Value Theorem to prove the existence of a solution. We can also check the sign of the discriminant of the cubic equation to determine the number of real roots. In this case, the discriminant is positive, indicating one real and two complex solutions. By checking various values, we can narrow down the solution to x∈(1,2).
jrsweet

Homework Statement

Show that there is an x∈R such that x^3+x=6.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not exactly sure where to get started with this proof. I think I would need to define a set S={x∈R: x>0 and x^3+x≤6}. Assume S is bounded, and then find lub(S)...?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think with some work, your approach will definitely yield a correct proof; however, are you familiar with the Intermediate Value Theorem?

There are 3 solutions, if you prove one is complex then one must be real?

How exactly would I use the Intermediate Value Theorem?

Would I need to first prove that it is continuous then?

jrsweet said:
How exactly would I use the Intermediate Value Theorem?

jrsweet said:
Would I need to first prove that it is continuous then?

All polynomial functions are continuous over all of R.

The Intermediate Value Theorem is used frequently to establish that a solution to an equation exists (but oftern is no help in finding that solution, except by numeric approximation methods).

As an example: Show there is a solution to the equation cos(x) = x.

This is equivalent to showing that cos(x) - x = 0 is solvable.

Since f(x) = cos(x) - x is a continuous function and f(0) = 1 > 0 and f(pi/2) = -pi/2 < 0 there must exist some value c between 0 and pi/2 where f(c) = 0 (by the Intermediate Value Theorem), hence there is a solution to cos(x) = x.

Your problem can be solved similarly.

--Elucidus

And why don't you simply solve x3+x=6 and show that there are real values for x.

[tex]x^3+x-6=0[/tex]

Start by checking if [itex]\pm 1, \pm 2, \pm 3, \pm 6[/itex] are solutions of the cubic equation.

njama said:
And why don't you simply solve x3+x=6 and show that there are real values for x.

[tex]x^3+x-6=0[/tex]

Start by checking if [itex]\pm 1, \pm 2, \pm 3, \pm 6[/itex] are solutions of the cubic equation.
Well, unless there is an integer root, that won't "solve" the equation! But that is a good way to start. In fact, it is exactly what jgens suggested. If x= 0 [itex]x^3+ x= 0+ 0= 0< 6[/itex]. If x= 2, [itex]x^3+ x= 8+ 2= 10> 6[/itex]. What does that tell you?

HallsofIvy said:
Well, unless there is an integer root, that won't "solve" the equation! But that is a good way to start. In fact, it is exactly what jgens suggested. If x= 0 [itex]x^3+ x= 0+ 0= 0< 6[/itex]. If x= 2, [itex]x^3+ x= 8+ 2= 10> 6[/itex]. What does that tell you?

It tells me that the solution is between 0 and 2, i.e [itex]x\in (0,2)[/itex].

Infact if you choose x=1, [itex]1^3+1=1+1=2<6[/itex], so [itex]x \in (1,2)[/itex]

If you go by checking for x=1.5 , [itex]1.5^3+1.5=4.875<6[/itex] you will come up with the solution. Now [itex]x \in (1.5 , 2)[/itex] and so on...

Edit: In addition, I came up with better solution.

Check the sign of the discriminant of the cubic equation:

[tex]D=\sqrt{(\frac{q}{2})^2+(\frac{p}{3})^3}[/tex]

The general cubic equation is:

[tex]x^3+px+q[/tex]

Just extract p and q from your equation.

1)If D>0 then there are 1 real and two conjugate complex roots.

2)If D=0 there is one prime and two equal real roots.

3)If D<0 there are 3 real and different roots.

Last edited:

1. What is the general method for solving equations of the form x^3 + x = 6?

The general method for solving equations of this form is to use algebraic manipulation to isolate the variable x on one side of the equation. This can be done by factoring or the quadratic formula.

2. How many solutions are there for the equation x^3 + x = 6?

There is only one solution for this equation. This can be verified by graphing the equation or by using the intermediate value theorem.

3. How do you prove that there is a solution for the equation x^3 + x = 6?

To prove that there is a solution for this equation, we can use the intermediate value theorem or the bisection method. Both of these methods involve evaluating the function at different points and showing that it changes sign, which indicates the existence of a solution.

4. Can the solution for x^3 + x = 6 be expressed as a rational number?

No, the solution for this equation cannot be expressed as a rational number. It is an irrational number, specifically approximately 1.1623.

5. Is there a unique solution for x^3 + x = 6?

Yes, there is a unique solution for this equation. This can be shown by the fact that there is only one point where the graph of the equation intersects the line y = 6.